Sweet Gingerbread Garland

Oh how I love Gingerbread at Christmas!  This Sweet Gingerbread Garland is a fun way to enjoy the look and scent of gingerbread all though the holidays!

This past weekend I got together with two girlfriends for an early Christmas visit.  Both friends live out of town, but each year we make every effort to get together around Christmas.  The three of us have been friends since high school, which means we’ve been friends for… well, quite a few years!  All three of us are “crafty”, and we often exchange homemade gifts.  In fact, without previously discussing it, this year all three of us made homemade gifts for each other.  One friend, Cecilia, made some adorable holiday hand towels and a beautiful ribbon pin.  Our friend Esther did some canning and gave us each a beautiful jar of applesauce and a jar of green chili verde sauce.  My gift to each of them was something I baked… shocking, right?  Although the treats I baked are perfectly edible, they were not made to be eaten, but to decorate with!

Here is the “sweet” garland I made for each of my friends…

Here is one hanging across my kitchen window…

I also made a set of matching ornaments…

Pretty cute, if I say so myself!  And since they are made with real gingerbread cookie dough they smell great too!

Would you like to make some ornaments or a garland too?

You’ll need…

Gingerbread cookies (my recipe HERE)

Royal icing (my recipe HERE)

Ribbon or twine (I used twine from The Twinery)

~ Directions ~

Make a batch gingerbread cookies.  Roll the dough a bit thinner than you would for a regular cookie, so the ornament  is not too heavy.  Before baking the dough, use a wooden skewer to make a hole in the cookie (for the string).  Bake the cookies slightly longer than you would for cookie you’d eat, you don’t want these to be soft.

Once baked and cooled, decorate as desired with royal icing.

Let the icing dry completely (about 24 hours), and string some ribbon or twine through the hole in the cookie (you may need to poke the hole open with a toothpick).

Note- These ornaments (or garland) can last several years, just make sure to wrap them up gently and store in a large ziplock type bag so they don’t attract any little critters.

33 Responses to “Sweet Gingerbread Garland”

SweetSugarBelle — November 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh yes! I have been waiting and waiting! What a wonderful back to internet access TREAT! You are Glorious, and I LOVE your ideas! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL! Missed you, hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Jen Carter — November 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Oh my!! This is adorable!!! Love these so much!! The colors are great, they are decorated so cute and the the twine just adds to them perfectly!

Rollin'inDough — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

If that isn't the sweetest gift ever! What a beautiful and thoughtful gift to give to your bestest friends!! Love 'em.

Andrea — November 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm

They are soooo pretty!!! Wow you are SKILLED!!!

KatieBrooks — November 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm

So great! I am going to have to steal this idea for sure!

JC's Loft — November 29, 2010 at 4:33 am

Gorgeous cookies! I am going to a cookie exchange party next weekend and I would love to walk in with a tray of these pretties, I haven't had luck with royal icing : ( I'm kind of scared of it, haha!

Paula

Loren @ The Baking Sheet — November 29, 2010 at 5:58 am

These are incredible!!! Love each and every one!!

Amy Miller Designs — November 29, 2010 at 6:31 am

Love everything about it…the colors, shapes and that you can decorate with it! Great job!!

Chris @ Celebrations At Home — November 29, 2010 at 8:29 am

These are so pretty!

Sharon — November 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

Glory, those are GORGEOUS!! I hope you will bring some of those to hang for Baileys party!!!!!

hanacakes — November 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow are these gorgeous! Gonna have to try to make some that look like this soon! (hope you don't mind me copying)They are truly awesome!

Samantha — November 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Gorgeous Glory! I have some homemade ornaments that are gingerbread and have some sort of glaze on them, that I store in tupperware. They have lasted 11 years!! Going to make my own this year, thanks to your post!

Whimsy Cookie Co. — November 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Simply adorable..love the colors..so sweet!

bridget {bake at 350} — November 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm

So beautiful and creative! I love the colors that you used!

And congrats on working with The Twinery. It will be so fun to see what you come up with!

Paula — November 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm

So pretty and creative. Made all the better because it is hand-made with home-made cookies. You can't get any better than that!

Courtney @ Pizzazzerie — November 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm

this is darling!

Jen @ Passion-for-Parties.com — November 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

Glory, you have done it AGAIN!!! This is one of the cutest garlands I have ever seen! Seriously. LOVE it! You've got quite a talent, girlie! :)

Michelle — November 30, 2010 at 8:15 am

Ohh these are the prettiest cookies everr!!!!! I am so in love with that Beautiful garland!!!! You are so talented and Blessed!!!!

Michelle Torres
    decorater4life@aol.com

Amanda — December 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Love this idea! Gorgeous! Can't wait to try it out myself :)

Medifast Coupons — December 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Well what a great idea, these are so pretty, and yeah they will have that nice gingerbread aroma, so smart. Thanks, to the kitchen I must go.

Jennie — December 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm

SO precious and perfect!!! you did an amazing job. Love the whimsical pastel colours!

A Box of Kitchen — December 15, 2010 at 11:36 pm

WOW!! Pretty!! I love how you hang the cookies on your window. You should worry kids will come and lick off your window :D

Anonymous — January 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I love these! Can you make the garland using sugar cookies?

Aneta Hayne — November 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Fantastic idea, also since all the cookies will be hanging up little people won't be able to eat all of them at once :)..Brilliant !

Mis-Cakes — November 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

Seriously super cool!!! like WOW gaping mouth cool.

Erin — December 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

These are sooo cute! I wrote a post about my favorite Pinterest Christmas Projects and yours is one of them: http://eedeedesignstudios.com/tutorials/a-pinterest-christmas/

Michelle — November 28, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Will these ornaments last for years? I didn’t know if they would mold or get gross if we tried to save them.

1. Pingback: Galletas de Navidad

2. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Fall Gingerbread Cookie Garland

3. Pingback: Decorated Rudolph Cookies

4. Pingback: Top 10 Cute Gingerbread Treats for Christmas - Top Inspired

5. Pingback: Waiting For Santa: Ideas On How To Decorate Your Windows For Christmas

6. Pingback: Waiting For Santa: Ideas On How To Decorate Your Windows For Christmas | Club Oferteproprietari.ro