Gingerbread Cookies {Recipe}

Last week I shared some cute Christmas Tree Cookies I made with gingerbread dough.   Gingerbread cookies are one of my favorites, especially around the Christmas season.  Gingerbread cookies stay fresh for up to two weeks, so they are a great choice for a busy season too!   This dough can be rolled thin to make crisp cookies, or a bit thicker for a soft cookie.

Gingerbread Cookies

6 cups all-purpose flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 Tablespoon ground ginger

1Tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup butter

1 cup molasses

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1.  In a large bowl, gently stir together flour, baking powder, and all spices. Set aside.

2.  In the bowl of your electric mixer (or other large bowl), beat butter until smooth.  Add brown sugar, molasses, eggs and vanilla.

3.  Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until they are fully incorporated.

4.  Divide the dough into 3 pieces, and flatten into rounded disk (about 1 1/2 inches thick).  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

5. When dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350*F.  On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to desired thickness (1/4- 1/2 inch thick).  (The dough can be rolled out and handled just as I described in my post HERE).  Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.  Place cookies at least 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat type liner.  If the dough is too sticky or soft to work with, put it in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes to firm up.

6.  Bake for 9-12 minutes (depending on the size of cookies).  Cool slightly on cookie sheet, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.

7.  Frost with royal icing, if desire.  HERE is the royal icing recipe I use, as well as some decorating tips to get you started.

Recipe Source:  My own slight variation on several widely available recipes.

56 Responses to “Gingerbread Cookies {Recipe}”

Kat — November 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Wow, what beautiful snowflakes! It would seem a bit crazy to make them here in Australia as it is scorching hot at Christmas. I am still trying to find inspiration for some summer Christmas cookies!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) — November 22, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I absolutely love your snowflake design. I will definitely draw inspiration from them when I come around to making my own snowflakes (even though as Kat says above me: Christmas snow in Australia just does not exist).

Vicki — November 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I am your newest follower from Australia and I would love to feature these cookies soon.

Vicki — November 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Glory/ Glorious Treats — November 22, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for the sweet comments ladies! I guess I'll have to think on some warm weather Christmas ideas!
    Vicki- I'd be happy to have you feature the cookies on your site, as long as you clearly credit and link back to me. Please do not include the recipe on your site. Thanks.

Holly — November 22, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Sooo pretty! These are one of my favorite kind of cookies:)

Noelia — November 23, 2010 at 4:20 am

Im saving this recipe and trying it for xmass :) I will post pics and link to ur blog when i do it :D

JC's Loft — November 23, 2010 at 4:52 am

oooohhhhh so pretty!

Paula

Jodi — November 23, 2010 at 5:01 am

Very pretty! These will definately be onmy list to make. Thank You!

Monique — November 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

These look scrumptious…. Thank you for the recipe :)

SweetSugarBelle — November 23, 2010 at 11:01 am

My favorite!!! These are so PRETTY!!!

Erin O. — November 23, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Those are so pretty! I love how they look so glittery, it's very appealing, and I bet they are super delicious too!

MamaBear — November 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Glory these are just lovely!

I've been waiting for something to catch my eye this Christmas season and you know, I think I've found it!!

I can't wait to bake these, thankyou for sharing.

xMB

Mary — November 24, 2010 at 9:20 am

Those are so adorable! What beautiful, festive cookies!

Great blog (and pictures!) Happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

McMGrad89 — November 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

very pretty.

Danielle — November 24, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Thank you for the recipe, they look lovely! I love mine a bit softer mmmmm
    x

Creative Cupcake Recipes — November 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm

These gingerbread snowflakes are beautiful. What a great idea. Defintely trying this recipe. Thanks.

ruthhill74 — November 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I doubt I would ever be able to make such beautiful cookies! I just love your blog, and I believe there will be some great inspiration on here. Pizzazzerie introduced me to your blog. Check out mine, if you like:

Lisa — December 6, 2010 at 11:42 am

Hi,

I just came across your blog and I can't believe how beautiful your cupcakes and cookies look. I'm a first time baker but this looks too good to pass up. I'm going to try it for Christmas. I was wondering how many servings/cookies does this recipe make? Thanks!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Lisa- This recipe makes a lot of cookies! It will depend on the size of cutter you use, and how thick you roll the dough, but I would estimate about 3 dozen medium sized cookies.

Minh — December 14, 2010 at 6:02 am

These cookies are beautiful and look delicious! I was just wondering if it matters what type of brown sugar you use – light or dark brown sugar. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipes.

Sasya — December 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

thank you so much for the recipe ♥ Can't wait to try!! :)

MamaBear — December 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Glory thankyou again, you inspired me to make my own version (we used a different recipe though). I've linked back to you. http://themamabearshouse.blogspot.com/2010/12/reindeer-yummies-and-farewells.html

Merry Christmas!

xMB

Laurapat17 — May 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hi Glory, Found you through Cookie Krazie / Cookies With a Mission. Looking forward to following you! Laura :o)

Anonymous — November 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

I was curious would this be a good recipe for a gingerbread house?

Just Ask Laura — December 19, 2011 at 5:49 am

I have been baking gingerbread boys for close to 30 years now. I used to have a go-to recipe, but a few years ago it just wasn't working for me anymore. So, the search started for a new recipe… through too thick, too thin, too blah, too spicey, too labor intensive and just not right… until this recipe.

I used it to make Fall pumpkins and now my annual gingerbread boys. It's perfectly spiced, a beautiful dough to work with and absolutely lovely on the tastebuds! Thanks for sharing.

Alexandra P. — July 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

Yumm… They look beautiful! Can I use honey instead of molasses?
    Keep up the great job, Glory and have a nice day!

• Glory replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Yes, I would imagine you could use honey in place of the molasses, the main difference would be a much milder flavor.

Kirsten — December 4, 2012 at 7:37 pm

These look yummy and gorgeous! Just wondering what size cutters you used and what the yield was for this recipe? I’d like to make them for my family this Christmas as gifts and want to make sure there are enough to go around.

• Glory replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

It depends on how thin you roll the dough, but if you make a full batch of dough (using the recipe above), you should be able to get at least 4 dozen medium sized (3.5 inch) cookies.

Adriana Vanin — December 5, 2012 at 2:03 am

sim,precisamos de biscoitos de natal verão,aqui no Brasil faz 32 graus.
    seu trabalho é maravilhoso,parabéns,beijos !!!!

Stephanie — December 12, 2012 at 5:56 am

How many thick cookies will this recipe make?

Lyn — October 8, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Hi Glory,

May I know what can I use to replace ‘red hots’ that were used in decorating gingerbread cookies?

• Glory replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

Hi Lyn,
      Sure, you can leave out the red hots and just decorate with royal icing, or add an M&M or most any candy after the cookies have baked and cooled (attach with a bit of icing). Happy baking!

Andrea Packer — December 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Glory, I just made these cookies, but mine are very light in color, nowhere near the color of yours or what I think of as gingerbread color. The only sub I made was honey instead of molasses…would that make such a big difference in color?

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2013 @ 1:03 am

Hi Andrea,
      Yes, that would make a world of difference! Molasses is very dark in color and is the ingredient that helps give the distinctive flavor to gingerbread. What you made are called Honey Cookies… still delicious I’m sure, but not gingerbread.

Patricia — December 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm

The dough was so dry the flour wasn’t necessary.
    Did I refrigerate it too long? I left it in the fridge overnight…

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

You can leave the dough in the fridge up to several days, but if it’s been in the fridge more than a couple hours you may want to let it warm up just a bit at room temperature to make it easier to handle. Depending on the surface you roll the dough on, and the temperature of your home, you may need more or less flour.

Patricia — December 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Sorry, I meant the flour used to prevent the dough from sticking to the table top…

Meredith — December 24, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thank you so much for this recipe and your royal icing recipe! For the past three years I have hosted a gingerbread house decorating party…I bake 20+ houses, plus gingerbread men and snowflakes for decorating, invite way to many friends over (usually 30-40) and have a night full of fun! Everyone is always amazed when they taste your gingerbread…they are surprised that it is so good! I appreciate the work and talent that goes into sharing your skill on your blog, and am glad that you make my party so successful! Have a wonderful holiday!

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Christmas Trees, Gingerbread, and a Giveaway…

2. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Thanksgiving Cookies

3. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Christmas Recipe Collection

4. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Classic Gingerbread Cookies

5. Pingback: Best Gingerbread Recipes | Love The Day

6. Pingback: Gingerbread Cookies « The Bubbly Baker

7. Pingback: The Ultimate Christmas Cookies Recipe Collection | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes

8. Pingback: Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies Recipes | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes

9. Pingback: 14 Gingerbread Recipes for the Holidays

10. Pingback: 21 DIY Holiday Gift Ideas for the Crafty and Non-Crafty | Positively Smitten

11. Pingback: Christmas Cookie Exchange Party » Glorious Treats

12. Pingback: christmas cookie round-up!

13. Pingback: Sweet Gingerbread Garland » Glorious Treats

14. Pingback: Photograph Worthy Christmas Cookie Favorites » Connecticut Wedding Photography by Connecticut Wedding Photographer, Stephanie Regner

15. Pingback: Pierniki nadziewane » BOŻE NARODZENIE » Na Stole