{Recipe} Caramel Turtle Rice Krispies Treats

From the top, you’d never know that the delicious looking, chocolate and caramel desserts above are  humble rice krispies treats!  Well, once humble rice krispies treats… now elevated to a delicious, decadent dessert!  I’ve been playing with a few ideas for dressing up rice krispies treats, and this is one of my delicious successes!

~ Directions ~

(The ingredients you’ll need are in bold)

Prepare Rice Krispies Treats as directed on cereal box (so you need Rice Krispies, marshmallows and butter).  Spread into a 9″x13″ pan (as directed).

In the top of a double boiler, melt 3/4 of a pound of store bought individual caramels (Brach’s brand works well), along with 2 Tablespoons of water and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

It will take about 10 minutes to melt everything together.  Stir as needed.

Pour the melted caramel over the prepared Rice Krispies treats, reserving a small about of caramel in the double boiler (that will be used on the very top as decoration).  Spread caramel evenly over the Rice Krispies treats.  Place the whole pan (of caramel topped rice krispies treats) in the fridge for about 5 minutes.

Melt 6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate in a bowl in the microwave (in 30 second intervals).  When almost melted, remove (carefully) from microwave, and stir until smooth and fully melted.  Remove rice krispies treats from fridge, and spread melted chocolate over evenly.

Top with 3/4 cup chopped pecans.

Warm the remaining caramel (that was reserved in the double boiler) and then drizzle caramel on top of pecans.

Place the pan (of rice krispies treats) in the fridge or on the counter (in cool weather) until the chocolate has set.

Cut into squares and enjoy!

23 Responses to “{Recipe} Caramel Turtle Rice Krispies Treats”

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet — August 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Yum, have been thinking about using Rice Krispie Treats on something soon and these have given me a few good ideas.

Bridgett — August 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oh wow, these look divine!

Bea @ CancunCookies — August 27, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This will sure become a family favorite… Thanks, Glory!!

Rach — August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm

MMM. Yummy.

Haniela — August 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Can you believe I still haven't tried rice krispie treats…lol. I might give them a try after all.
    I have some caramel and was looking for some treats I could use it for.
    This is a great idea.
    They look delicious and I like the crunchy look too.

Michelle — August 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Dear Lord, those look like the most trouble that a rice krispie could ever get into. YUM.

TidyMom — August 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Yum does NOT do this post justice! lol……I am definitely adding these to my MUST MAKE list!

Heather from WhipperBerry — August 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm

These look delightful!! I am going to use them for a super fun fall dessert table.

ShadowCase — August 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Now I know what I'm going to make for the bake sale at the school carnival. These look so super delicious–gonna have to make them during my next chocolate craving episode!

Cher — August 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Amazing, wonderful, and so so aesthetically pleasing. Your pictures are always beautiful & thanks for the lovely recipe! :]

Joan — September 1, 2010 at 7:54 am

Great recipe and the common response was the bars are insane! A very good thing!

Michael and Kenna — September 1, 2010 at 8:08 am

I have a road trip this weekend. Just might need this for the car! Thanks, great site! -www.everythinggal.com

sharla — September 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm

SERIOUSLY!?! These look unbelievable! Can't wait to take a bite!

Jessa — September 27, 2010 at 6:59 am

Yummy!!!! I made these for trivia night and had people from other tables asking for one!!!! They were a perfect twist to Rice Kripie Treat!!!!!

Lauren — December 9, 2010 at 5:49 am

These are definitely a grown-up version of the classic rice krispie treats! They look fantastic.

Carrie - Carrie's Creations — February 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Glory these are gorgeous! Anything with caramel and chocolate and I am all in!

thats what we said — February 17, 2012 at 8:03 am

These look great! You know how I love a krispie treat!

Annie — September 28, 2012 at 4:48 pm

These look great and I’m sure they’ll taste great, however, it actually took at least 1/2 hour to melt the caramels and I used a whole bag of chocolate chips. I started with the 6 oz and it looked like a smear of chocolate, not at all like those pictured above.

Lucille Ceccarelli — July 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

These look sooo delish. I have a church gathering, on the beach, in August and these are going to be my contribution to the dessert table.

1. Pingback: Rice Krispies Treats