{How-to} Make Custom Water Bottle Labels

Many months ago, as I was making plans for my daughter’s candy party I started looking into getting custom water bottle labels.  I’d seen parties (on-line) that had cute custom labels on the bottles and I wanted to try to do the same.  I found labels I could buy for $0.80-$1.00 each, but that was out of the budget.  I continued searching for any “how-to’s” on making my own labels, and searched for good prices on the printable vinyl that most custom label sellers seemed to be using.  Even the vinyl was quite expensive.  I continued looking for information, and I was finally able to put together some ideas from a few different sights and make my own cute labels.  The best part is, I didn’t have to buy any special materials, and the cost per label is only pennies!

Within about a weeks time I made custom labels for my daughter’s party (photo above), the “She’s about to Pop” showerI helped a friend host (below), and also some pretty labels for a 55th anniversary celebration (second photo below).

All three of the labels above took me quite a bit of time designing them on Photoshop. But even if you don’t have the time or knowledge to design your own, you can still make some, using pretty scrapbooking paper (see photo below).
Ready to make your own?
You need-
A strip of paper (custom designed, or just printed scrapbooking paper) 1 3/4″ tall and 8 1/2″ wide.
Paper cutter (for neatly cutting your paper)
Packing tape (clear, heavy tape 2″ wide)
Water bottles(I use Target’s store brand, Archer Farms, because they are smooth, sleek looking bottles).
Now you’re ready to go!
Lay your label out on the table, and pull out a piece of packing tape just slightly longer (on each side of the label) than your paper.  You should also have just a tiny bit of tape above and below your paper (since the paper is 1 3/4″ tall and the tape is 2″ tall).  Press the tape smoothly onto the paper.
Pick up your label (the paper and tape are now one) and line it up as straight as you can along the side of the bottle.  Press tape end onto the bottle.
Guide the label around the bottle (as straight as possible).
If you were able to keep the label level all the way around the bottle, your ends should meet up pretty nicely.
And voila…
custom water bottle labels!
This one is for the Rainbow’s and Race cars birthday I’m planning for later this month.
Has water ever looked cuter?
One final note…
I wouldn’t call these labels 100% waterproof.  They do resist condensation pretty well, but I’m not sure how they would hold up if you just throw them in a bucket of ice.  Each time I’ve used them I keep them in the fridge and then pull them out and line them up on the counter just before the party.

56 Responses to “{How-to} Make Custom Water Bottle Labels”

coolkids — June 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm

thanks for sharing!

Ashley J Houck — June 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm

thanks so much for sharing. They turned out GREAT! Way to go. Can't wait to see more inspiring work!

MrsKT — June 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thankyou for sharing another one of your great ideas. I will have to try it next time I am having a party :)

Becki D — June 3, 2010 at 6:52 am

Awesome improv!!

Thanks for sharing. :-)

Lisa Smiley — June 3, 2010 at 7:05 am

you are so creative! thanks for sharing this..what a fun and easy way to follow a theme :)

Lori — June 3, 2010 at 7:58 am

Glory — June 3, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Thanks for the sweet comments ladies!

Lori- Yes, I'm sure you could laminate them and then tape them on, but of course that would add to the cost. Also, there is some kind of printable vinyl that you could use, and that would be waterproof as well, I believe.

Martin Do it Yourself — June 4, 2010 at 4:34 am

TidyMom — June 4, 2010 at 4:51 am

I LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing the how to's!!

April — June 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

Thanks for sharing!

Penelope — June 7, 2010 at 5:12 am

I'm thinking…that maybe if you used packing tape on both sides of the label, as kind of a poor man's lamination, that might work?

Elaine — June 7, 2010 at 10:48 am

Well smack my grandma… that's my kind of craft project !! Wish I had run across this a week ago for a graduation party, but so happy to have for future. Thanks for sharing, E

A Few of My Favorite Things — June 7, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing. You've got a new fan for sure!

alice — June 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You are so creative…Love your blog!!! I have become "party table" obsessed and would like to make a post on my blog about party tables and would love to include a few of yours with your permission. Please email me at aliceharbin@hotmail.com when you get a chance. Thanks, and thanks for sharing your talent!

b.a.s.h.ful custom event kits — June 10, 2010 at 11:24 pm

that's exactly what i do to our custom water bottle favors! :0) i just always forget to document. nice way of doing so!!!

love you blog. i'm a new fan for sure!!

http://www.yourlabelsnow.com/Quote.aspx — June 11, 2010 at 1:36 am

You mentioned that they weren't totally waterproof…Could you laminate them and then tape them on??. The great thing from your side is that you give such huge and practical concepts, free of cost. Don't have any party but going to make custom labels of all the jars and bottles in the kitchen.

Twinkletoes — June 11, 2010 at 3:21 am

I love it – thank you for sharing your how tos!

Leah's Little Bowtique — June 11, 2010 at 7:52 am

Thank you so much for all these great idea! I know now what my H2s Strawberry Birthday party will look like!

J. — June 12, 2010 at 3:45 am

Wow, great tips, and very inspirational. Thanks for posting!!

Totally Pinkaholic — June 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

Hi! I just find your blog via wedding bee and I loove this idea! the tape thing is really genius! Love it!:)
    Best wishes

Huma — July 7, 2010 at 10:27 pm

hello glory!

i am using this craft how to for my daughters birthday party. adding a monogram "M" for her name. thanks so much!!

Pitter Patter Creations — July 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Thank you for sharing! I was able to make my own labels for my daughter's 3rd birthday. Please check them. http://pitterpattercreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/pink-turquoise-and-zebra-stripes.html

Anonymous — August 17, 2010 at 7:21 pm

thanks for sharing the how to-s! I will try this one day.

betchacanteatjustone — November 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

I'm throwing a princess tea party in two weeks and can't wait to make pretty princess water bottles!

Andrea — November 18, 2010 at 9:05 am

oh. my. gosh. That is amazing and adorable and GENIUS. thanks for sharing your secret!!

SIMPLY ICED — December 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

This is a brilliant idea. I have designed my own water bottle labels and I also have plans to use scrapbook paper but I did not think of usins the tape to cover the paper to help with waterproofing. Thanks so much and I will be following this blog.

moahmina — June 28, 2011 at 12:56 am

ingenius!

Lady Lauren — July 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Wow! This is the fifth time I have visited your site and found yet ANOTHER easy and cost-effective DIY project. I'll be using this for my daughter's 1st birthday party later on this month. Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown — July 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your craftiness! I bought those silly printable labels from my local craft store and they turned out horrendously crooked and ugly. This was so much more fiscally reasonable and professional looking! Just finished a few cases for my mother's 60th birthday bash, and I had already purchased the Archer Farms water as I too thought they had a cleaner look, lol. Thanks!

Anonymous — July 26, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love it! Thanks so much for posting. This is exactly what I was looking for! Can't thank you enough!

Sandy OCallaghan — July 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I'm using the same colors as you did for the "About to Pop" baby shower. Would you send me your copy so that I may use it?

Anonymous — July 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I was thinking when the content of the bottle is cold, it sweats and the label can get wet, what if u put tape in both side of the paper? so the water wont get to it…..

chrissy rector — September 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love your blog thank you for posting I have been looking for creative ways to promote my blog http://www.savvyglutenfree.com and the water bottle is such a great idea for a 5k run I have voluntered to be a vendor at

Affordable Insurance — October 18, 2011 at 3:12 am

You are so creative! Can't wait to see more inspiring work!

Anonymous — October 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for sharing!! Greatly appreciated!!

Tracey Baxter — October 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wonderful inexpensive solution and love the tutorial! Lining the other side of the paper with tape will help keep the lables dry, but if the bottles will be kept on ice for a longer event, I like the waterproof water bottle labels at Labels by the Sheet / Creative Label Concepts about $1 per sheet with 5 labels each page or full sheets to cut to any size needed.

Jerry Bland — February 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I'm making water bottle labels for my 11 year old's spa birthday party. This was very helpful! Thanks.

Saundra — March 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

Genius! As usual, I've been overthinking. These are perfect!

The Clarkes — March 5, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Made these this past week for my son's first birthday. They were a hit! I had everyone asking if I paid for them and how expensive that must have been. I didn't print them but used scrap book paper. I could only imagine if I had printed labels! Thank you for sharing!
    And the Archer Farms water bottles were the best!

Anonymous — June 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I was looking for a way to personalize water bottles for a "meet-up" we're having for our gaming community and this looks so easy! I can do our logo & web address on the label and print them for only pennies! I was wondering which brand of water I should buy, too, so I appreciate you adding which one works well! :)

debi — July 3, 2012 at 12:50 am

the labels are really cute! I’m not as computer suavy as you so I used decorated duct tape. They have so many cute patterns out there now!! Even Hello Kitty!!

Renee — July 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I have been searching for a website to tell me the best water bottle to use so that the label is smooth. Thanks for being the only website that actually named a water bottle – Target – Archer Farms. It is for my daughter’s wedding for the goodie bags at the hotel.

yumary bazanta — August 11, 2012 at 2:45 am

You are awesome!!!! I had searching informaticon and your page was the best.

Sheila — October 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I was having the same problem with not wanting to go over our budget for my son’s first birthday. I will definitely be using this for creating the labels!

Stacy — November 10, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thank you for the idea! The only thing I did different was use Costco water (Kirkland brand) they are smooth like what you used as well. I looked everywhere for labels to no avail and found your site! Thanks for the idea! Very Smart!

Melissa — January 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Do you happen to know what dimensions a label for a small (dollar tree brand) bottle of bubbles would be?

Ana — March 10, 2013 at 10:46 am

This is a great concept to personalize any party/get-together. I actually do this on my reusable drink cups (the kind with a lid and reusable straw). I buy the plan clear cups and find any print/sticker/even window cling and use the duct tape (on both sides to make as waterproof as possible is an awesome idea – thanks Penelope) for each season or holiday. It’s so much more affordable and you’re doing the “reduce-reuse-recycle” thing to go GREEN. A win-win!!

Emily — June 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

This is so helpful, thank you!! I just made my own template using powerpoint that I can share if anyone is interested. Using your DIY method saved me a bunch of money for our wedding! :)

Jessica — July 29, 2013 at 2:38 am

Hey! Quick idea to help the labels be more “ice-safe.” For my friends party, we did frozen water balloons in the party color. We put the frozen balloons in the bottom of the bucket and had the bottles on top! This limited the water getting to the labels! This was a great demo! Thanks for sharing!

Pat — August 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hello!

My question is…..where did you get the bottled water ‘from’?
    Did You use bottle water off the store shelves, Did you buy
    your own bottled water so that all you had to do was make
    your own labels and then add them Or did you just remove
    labels on store bought bottles and then add your labels.?

Thanks.

waliya — September 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

So nice think ill be making these for my sons 2nd birthday

Robert Matthew Dye — November 2, 2013 at 1:44 am

You might do better printing on Tyvek. If you have an Express Mail envelope made from this, cut it to 8.5 x 11 and run it through the printer. The material looks like paper, but is waterproof. Don’t know about the inkjet ink, though . . .

Ramdin — January 3, 2014 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the information on making custom water labels

1. Pingback: How to attach Water Bottle Labels