{Recipe} Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes

I love chocolate…

So naturally, when I started experimenting with baking cupcakes from scratch (several years ago) I began a quest for the perfect chocolate cupcakes.  I worked through several dozen recipes and of course, didn’t have too much trouble finding people willing to eat my “experiments.”

I finally found a recipe titled Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake, hmm, “…Perfectly Chocolate”, sounds about right to me!  The first time I made it, I used Hershey’s unsweeted cocoa (as the recipe calls for).  They turned out pretty good.  The next time I made them, I used Ghirardelli brand unsweetened cocoa, and… perfect!  The Ghirardelli brand gave a much deeper chocolate flavor.  So I’d highly recomend using either Ghirardelli brand unsweetened cocoa, or the best quality brand you can find.  You can really taste the difference.  Since discovering this recipe, I’ve made it dozens and dozens of times.  And every time, it’s delicious!  The cake has a nice light and fluffy texture and a rich chocolate flavor.

Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes

(makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes)

2 cups sugar

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup whole milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)

1 cup boiling water

Directions-

Line muffin tin with paper liners.  Heat oven to 350*F.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute.

Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).

Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.  (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.)

Bake cupcakes for aproximately 18-22 minutes.

Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Recipe source- Hershey’s

Try the recipe HERE for either vanilla or chocolate (my favorite!) cream cheese frosting.

314 Responses to “{Recipe} Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes”

Haniela — April 16, 2010 at 3:36 am

These look delicious.
    Would love one right now.
    Yummy.

Joy Adams — April 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Mmmmmmm. Thanks for the tips.

DreamgirlLisa — April 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I use this recipe too, but with a few changes…dark choc. cocoa powder, melted dark choc., coffee, and sometime sour cream. I also like to add choc. chips to the batter. This makes for an insanely rich, moist chocolate cupcake.

Pam — April 18, 2010 at 8:16 am

They are perfect!!! Great advice and I wish I had one of them!

Amy and Family — April 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

yummy! Can't wait to make them myself. :)

Anonymous — April 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for the recipe Glory! They look divine.

I live in Australia and we don't have Ghirardelli brand unsweetened cocoa, do you know of a good substitute?

Totally loving your blog and love getting your emails, it makes my day. xo

Lucie — April 19, 2010 at 2:20 am

Wow these look wonderful, sounds a delicious recipe too. Love your blog! I'll be back soon. Lucie x

Natalie... — April 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Wow your cupcakes are so pretty, they look extremely chocolatey too yummm! :).

Lisa Smiley — April 20, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I recognize those middle beauties! Good times. Your blog is beautiful!

Virginia — June 11, 2010 at 12:47 am

I tried it and it´s just PERFECT! I love it. thank you for sharing it.
    Virginia

Sarah — July 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I just made these, and frosted them using your cream cheese frosting (with blackberry), and they are the BEST cupcakes I have ever had. Bar none. The frosting really pushed them over the edge. Thank you so much for the recipe!
    Sarah

Bubbaboo Cupcakes — August 16, 2010 at 5:13 am

Hi, I made you cupcakes and they are divine. Any chance you could share your vanilla cupcake recipe too.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments! So glad to hear from those of you who have tried it!

Bubbabo Cupcakes- I will be sharing my vanilla cupcake recipe in the next few months.

Anonymous — September 20, 2010 at 10:37 am

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR THE RECEIPE
    A JUST HAVE A ????
    CAN I KEEP THE BAKED ALREADY CUPCAKES IN THE FREEZER FOR COUPLE OF WEEKS????

Glory/ Glorious Treats — September 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Anonymous- Yes these cupcakes freeze well. Just defrost at room temperature for an hour or so.

Enjoy!

Francesca — September 26, 2010 at 3:23 pm

This is a perfect recipe, thank you for sharing.

Please could you tell me what cutters/techniques you used to make the butterfly and flower decorations?

Anonymous — October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Came across your blog today, tried your chocolate cupcake with the choc. frosting, was insanely rich and moist too. My girls and husband fell in love with it.

Huma — October 12, 2010 at 3:38 am

i use this same recipe with buttermilk instead of whole milk and coffee instead of water. but i'll try this variation, since milk is more handy.

Julie — December 12, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thank you for the recipe – these are fabulous! My two cents worth…have made these twice using cocoa I had on hand. The first time, used Hershey's Dark. The cupcakes were insanely delicious. The second time, used Scharffen Berger. To my surprise, the cupcakes weren't nearly as good. Maybe that's just my personal preference for dark chocolate. Also, because the batter is thin, I found a squeeze bottle with a wide nozzle worked well for me when I filled the cupcake papers. I made a giant mess trying to pour from a measuring cup.

Jessica — January 3, 2011 at 3:53 am

Really lovely piping! Love the flower.

Medifast Coupon — January 3, 2011 at 8:40 am

Great informative recipe on these chocolate cupcakes.The piping looks perfect.

Lyndsey's Creations — January 5, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I have made these several times!! We love them. Do you have a vanilla cupcake recipe are you willing to share?? Please!!

Anonymous — January 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

wow. looks gorgeous. do you have any instructions or tips on how you made those butterflies.
    Thanks.would appreciate if you could reply to
    Pearse@netamumail.com

Pearse

Francesca Marie — January 21, 2011 at 8:45 am

I use Hershey's recipe too! But…I was thinking of starting the quest for a chocolate cake all over again, because even though it tastes great, my cupcakes always turns out super flat making it difficult to remove from the cupcake tin. suggestions?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — January 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm

@Francesca- My cupcakes with this recipe usually have at least a small dome shape. You may need to get fresh baking soda and baking powder. I'm not sure what else the problem may be.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — January 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

@Pearse- The butterflies are made from fondant, and cut with a cutter made just for fondant. I don't remember where I bought the cutter (I've had it a while). Try a google search for "fondant butterfly cutter"

Bakers Treats — January 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I could not find any of the ghiradelli unsweeten cocoa. If I use the sweet cocoa is that okay?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — February 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Bakers Treats- If you substitute for sweet cocoa you would need to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe, but I'm not sure by how much. You may also want to look for another brand of unsweetend cocoa.

Mimi Campaigne — February 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I'm making these for the second time because they were a hit the first time. Thank you for sharing such a yummy recipe!

Chelsea — February 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Those chocolate cupcakes look fantastic and very delicious. I featured them on my dessert/fashion blog:

I will definitely be trying this recipe very soon!

Chelsea

immortalized44 — February 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Hi! I used this recipe and your vanilla creamcheese icing recipe last week to make some cupcakes, and everyone loved them and are ordering me to make more!
    Thanks for the recipe and keep up the great work! (:

sweetbakingboutique — March 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi I made these today with nutella frosting and hard chocolate covered and they were super delicioussss! the only problem I had was i think since it was so liquid it stick to the liners soooooo hard. It was a little difficult to take the liners off. any help?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — March 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Sweet baking boutique-
    I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. I've made this recipe probably 100 times and I've never had a problem with it sticking to the liners, so I'm not quite sure what the problem may have been. My only suggestions might be to bake them a few minutes less, or try a different kind/brand of liners.

Happy Baking!

Anonymous — April 3, 2011 at 5:00 am

hi there..ive made these HEAPZ of times and everytime ive made them they rise unevenly..can anyone help with this matter?what do i have to do to get them to rise perfectly?

Anonymous — April 3, 2011 at 5:01 am

these are delicious!!do u happen to have a vanilla recipe you would like to share?

Yvonne — April 18, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hello there! I just wanted to say that all of your baked goods are absolutely lovely. This has been my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe for ages and I thought I would post here that, if anyone wants to make this treat a little bit healthier, you can substitute fat-free plain yogurt for the oil and therefore have a practically fat-free cake! And there is absolutely no flavour difference from what I (and my taste testers) can tell between the two.

Happy baking!

- Eve

Karen — April 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Oh my goodness… totally absolutely delicious… just baked my lot… & its absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Will bake a 2nd batch now for our gals' night out to the spa… (My 1st batch was "sacrificed" to the kids… since it looked really bad (even though it tasted divine) as I didn't estimate filling 2/3s properly… so they overspilled out of the cupcake holders… Ooopss…! So if you're attempting this cupcake, make sure you definitely take note & fill 1/2 to 3/4 full as they do rise a fair bit! LOL!) Hope you don't mind me reposting (& referencing you) on my blog too… :-) Thanks heaps!

Karen — April 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hi there Glory, Was wondering if this cupcake recipe would work as a giant cupcake cake… if you know what I mean… the gals LOVED it after our night at the hot springs…

HALLELUJAHS by Holly — May 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Awesome! Love all your treats…can't wait to try more. Shared a couple on my blog today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Blessings,
    Holly

Anonymous — May 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Hello :)
    I was wondering if this recipe could be altered slightly for lemon cupcakes for Mother's Day?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — May 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Lemon cupcakes?- I wouldn't start with this recipe for lemon cupcakes, I would try to start with a vanilla cake (which I dont' have a recipe to recommend, I can't seem to master that one!). Sorry I couldn't be of much help this time!

melissa — May 27, 2011 at 4:10 am

Hey Glory! I am a little perplexed as I have made this recipe once before and the cakes turned out perfect. The last two times I have made them they have sunk in the middle!! Is all purpose flour plain or self raising??? Love your blog, Mel :)

Glory/ Glorious Treats — May 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Melissa- The recipe is correct, use all purpose flour. But I would check and make sure your levening agents (baking powder and baking soda) are fresh (less than 6 months old). Also, you may need to bake then just a minute more. You may be pulling them out before they are fully baked in the center. Good luck!

melissa — May 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thanks heaps!! Melissa :)

Amy — June 2, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Just made these in order to turn them into cupcakes in a jar tomorrow. Had to taste test one though…YUM! I think I've finally found a cake recipe that will allow me never to make cupcakes from a boxed mix again. :)

lala — June 18, 2011 at 3:17 am

such an easy recipe and the first 12 came out perfect!! I think I can stop my search for the perfect chocolate cupcake, these are soooo chocolaty!!

lacasitadeazucar — June 21, 2011 at 12:36 am

Your blog is wonderful.
    This recipe is lovely.
    You can see my cupcakes here:

Patti and Bruce — June 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Wonderful day because I "StumbleUpon" your blog. The largest star tip I've found (for the frosting on top of the cupcake) is a Wilton 1M. Is that what you are using? Your "swirl" looks bigger than mine. Thanks!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — June 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Patti and Bruce- Glad you found me! I use a Wilton 1M for frosting.

Ericrazy — July 1, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Your cupcakes are beautiful and taste so delicious! I am curious as to what piping tip you use to frost your cupcakes. I love the look of your frosting swirl & am trying to master recreating it :P

Loves

-Erica :]

Karen — July 30, 2011 at 5:01 am

Hi… Was wondering if I could convert this recipe to a diabetic friendly cake/cupcakes. Would you by any chance know how? I absolutely LOVE this recipe… have made it many times now… but been requested for a diabetic version now… :-) Thanks!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 30, 2011 at 10:27 pm

@Karen- The sugar in baking adds not just to the sweetness, but also affects the texture and the browning. You'll have to do a bit of experimenting with sugar substitutes to see what may work.

Suesue — August 1, 2011 at 5:46 am

LOL… Thank you for all the recipes posted, will certainly try them out, now even more excited to try them a.s.a.p! Why?… This Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes recipe is actually a recipe I have. LOL… A few months ago I was also looking for that perfect chocolate cake recipe and it so happened that my niece got a recipe from a friend of hers… she gave me "THIS" one. I tried it out and was amazed by it! I absolutely love it, as does anyone that we feed it to. Knowing where it originates from is super and I'm ready for more! Thanks so much!

Has — August 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

GT, thank u, I tried with just 1 cup of sugar and it turned out very nice. Have u tried baking the same recipe as one big cake? My prob with cupcakes with frosting is in keeping it as they can go on top of each other, whereas cake is easily stored

Lorie — August 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Hi, just want to know if the milk listed is evaporated milk?
    Thanks,
    Lorie

Katrina — August 19, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Hi!

I think you are so talented and I just wanted to say I love your blog. I used your recipe as inspiration for my own cupcake and I just wanted to say thanks very much! I hope you don't mind I gave a shout out to you in the post. http://www.gigidiaries.com/2011/07/test_24.html
    Thank you for the inspiration!
    Katrina

Amaryllis — August 21, 2011 at 3:36 am

I have been in the cupcake business for 2 years now. I started with scratch cake, and because of so many failures, I went to box. I am getting the courage to go back to scratch. I am going to try this recipe. I hope it works. I really want to bake from scratch

Jennifer — August 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hi, Glory,
    I wanted to use this recipe for an 8" cake. What would you change the ingredient portions to?

Carolyn Cabrera — September 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I love ur blog. I add it as a favorite. Today i did this recipe and it went out great. Thanks for making it so easy. I love baking and im learning throught out ur page.

Best wishes and keep the awesome job.

Carolyn Cabrera, Dom. Rep.

Anonymous — September 11, 2011 at 12:41 am

Hi,Your cupcakes are beautiful!! Can you please share what piping tip you use for your swirled cupcakes? Thanks in advance:)

Sadaf Afshan — September 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

WOW ! After the perfect vanilla cake I have found the perfect chocolate cake here. Thanks a million for your divine recipes. I was just wondering if I could use cake flour instead of all purpose flour in this recipe……I have a big bag lying in my pantry.

Mary — September 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

Whenever I try this recipe, the cupcakes always fall after 2 minutes out of the oven. Any suggestions?

Anonymous — October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ohhh -I just made these for my kids birthday and they were so wonderful! So perfectly yummy and easy. Even my MIL thought they were delightful! I've given out the recipe a few times already.

triciaz — October 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

These are the most delicious cupcakes. Ever. Thanks, Glory! :0)

Elain Ponce De Leon — October 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

i just made these chocolate goodness cupcakes for the ump-teenth time and i still get the same reaction with my first bite. SO GOOD! moist, chocolatey, yumminess! friends and family LOVE them. just finished baking another batch right now (going to see my hair stylist tomorrow and wanted to surprise her with some goodies).
    thank you!!!! i HEART your blog and all your wonderful goodies!!

Anonymous — October 24, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hi, They look wonderful. I'd like to make them as mini cupcakes. Are there any changes on the ingredients? I'm assuming it will be just changes in temperature and time of baking. What is your recommendation?

Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment — October 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm

What a great recipe! Made them this weekend and they were excellent!

Unknown — October 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm

i tried it but it didnt rise…how come ?

Unknown — October 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

it rise but after pricking with toothpick it fell down.. how come ?

Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment — October 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hi Glory. I posted your cupcake recipe on my blog and linked back to you. Wanted to let you know. Love, love, love your blog. Thanks for all the inspiration!

alyssa — November 12, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hi!!! I tried this recipe and the cupcakes were delicious! Thanks!!! (: The only problem I have is that the top of the cupcakes became really sticky after they cooled. Do you have any idea why?

Anonymous — November 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe! I used it to make some cupcakes for my daughters birthday and they turned out fabulously :)

Debra — November 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

OMG, these are fantastic!! I used this recipe to make some Black Forest cupcakes on the weekend and they turned out amazing. Normally I prefer vanilla cake over chocolate, but I do believe this recipe has converted me : )

Thanks for posting this…

Mary Ann — November 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

These look great! I will be making a batch this week. I do have a question, why all-purpose flour instead of cake flour like your vanilla cupcake recipe?

Anonymous — November 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I tried these but they didnt come out right. They had sink holes in the middle of them. Any idea of what I did wrong. I realized I used sweet cocoa instead od unsweeten maybe that were I went wrong.

hiruki — December 24, 2011 at 4:50 am

Hi, I made these yesterday but the vanill cream cheese frosting turned out too runny even though I followed your instruction step by step. Please can you tell me what I might have done wrong?

Nadine — December 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hi I made these the other week–and they were delicious–but I had trouble with them cooking out over the cupcake papers. So much so, that I had to throw away my first batch. The second batch I then didn't fill the papers as full, and it worked better, but It still seemed to run out over on a few of them. Any tips or suggestions? The batter seems so very runny….wondering if that's why?

Anonymous — January 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hi there. Just wanted to say that since finding your blog (only a few weeks ago) I have baked your chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, and have frosted them with your vanilla cream cheese icing, peppermint icing and peanut butter icing. I have also made your mini cinnamon sugar cupcakes. Needless to say I am constantly running to the store for more ingredients, am making my friends, family and co-workers VERY happy and am a hit at parties. Thanks for this wonderful blog and these fantastic recipes…they have turned out perfectly every time!

Ali K — January 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm

What would your baking istructions be to bake this in the oven in 2 8" cake pans instead of cupcake pans?

♥Melissa♥ — January 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Can I just say that these cupcakes are delish! I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder and they turned out fantastic. They were perfectly chocolatey! I did find that I didn't need to bake them as long though. I found that out after my first batch was done. This will definately be a recipe in the KEEP file! :)

Anonymous — January 16, 2012 at 5:15 am

Glory, are you using brown or black liners for your chocolate cupcakes? thanks!

Bergen — January 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Couldn't sleep so I made this recipe into a cake at about midnight, let it bake for another 10-15 minutes (not sure exactly how much longer, kept an eye on it). I'm waiting for this baby to cool and I've taken a little nibble off and I vow to NEVER make a chocolate box cake again. I used what I had, hershey's cocoa powder and I'm pretty stoked to frost it!

Monica Ward — January 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I made these cupcakes with your chocolate cream cheese frosting for my brother's birthday dinner. They were a huge hit!! Light and fluffy in texture yet oh so rich and chocolatey in taste. This was my first time ever making a recipe from scratch. Thanks for all you post!!

Anonymous — January 23, 2012 at 4:40 am

This is the only chocolate cake recipe I use. Beautiful with jam and cream in it. I make cakes and cupcakes but my icing never looks as good as yours. Need to practise (and taste test too;)

Anonymous — January 26, 2012 at 3:03 am

Hi. Just wanted to know. I have baking powder but not baking soda can I just use 3 tsp of baking powder instead will that b okay? Plz let me know as soon as possible need to make them today thanks

Anonymous — February 3, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I noticed that your chocolate peanut butter cupcake and your chocolate cupcake recipes contain the same ingredients and measurements except for the eggs. one recipe calls for three eggs and the other has two eggs. is there a reason for this?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — February 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

@about eggs- Yes, sorry, I've been meaning to update this! I've experimented with 2 or 3 eggs, both taste pretty much identical, but the ones with an extra egg hold together just a bit better. I usually use 3, but again, the difference is very slight.

Amanda — February 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hi Glory!! I love your blog <3 I have a quick question. Have you ever turned a chocolate cake recipe INTO a vanilla cake recipe?!? I have an amazing chocolate cake recipe and I need to change it to vanilla but I wasn't quite sure what to do to change it so it doesn't come out funky…I checked online but I couldn't really find anything and since you bake ALOT more then I do I figured you might know something….any help would be great!!! Thanks :)

Glory/ Glorious Treats — February 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm

@Amanda- I have great vanilla cake recipe here, http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2011/07/perfect-vanilla-cupcakes-recipe.html
    It would be tricky to start with a chocolate recipe and make a direct change to vanilla.

Angie — February 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I tried this recipe twice, and I too had sink holes in the middle. I'm wondering if it's because I'm at high altitude??

Glory/ Glorious Treats — February 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm

@Angie- Yes, sorry but at high altitude you will certainly need to make adjustments! I would suggest a google serch to help you find some suggested adjustments for baking at high altitude. Best of luck!

Anonymous — February 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

These look delicious!! I am wondering if I use 2% milk instead of whole milk will it make a big difference?

Anonymous — February 15, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hi…your recipes and directions on how to frost cupcakes were very helpful and informative. I just wanted to know how you made the butterflies and flowers with imprints on your cupcakes, and what did you use?

Curt S. — February 18, 2012 at 7:35 am

… best chocolate cupcakes I've ever made. Will never use any other recipe again. Combined with your frosting tips and recipe, the cupcakes were a huge hit! Thanks!

Anonymous — February 20, 2012 at 7:55 am

Just tried this recipe, I was so excited because I thought I'd finally got it right! They were very gooey and almost not cooked inside, is it necessary to add the boiling water? the batter looked perfect until I added the water, there was way too much liquid! Will definitely try this recipe again though.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — February 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

@Annonymous- It sounds like you might just need to bake them a few minutes longer. I've made this recipe (with the water) hundreds of times with great success. Feel free to make any adjustments you want to try, but I can assure you, the recipe should work well as is (unless by chance you're at very high elevation).

Anonymous — February 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I made these today and used grape seed oil instead of olive or vegetable oil WOW are they light and fluffy and the grape seed oil didn't leave any flavoring in it at all!

Anonymous — March 1, 2012 at 4:11 am

What could I add or substitute in this recipe to make them chocolate orange cupcakes? :)

Anonymous — March 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I made these tonight with my little ones and they were absolutely wonderful!! We made the chocolate cream cheese frosting and it just topped them off. The perfect amount of sweetness. Wonderful recipe!! Thanks for sharing it, I will definitely keep this as my "go to" for chocolate cupcakes :)

Maria

Andrea Loree — March 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Question- Do you measure the boiled water before you boil it, or after? Because I feel like if you did before, it would evaporate? Thanks!

Anonymous — March 9, 2012 at 3:44 am

Whenever I make these, they form a crispy skin on the top but are amazingly moist and soft inside, what am I doing wrong?! Please help!

Penni — March 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I'd like to make a double (or triple) layer cake instead of cupcakes for my daughter's birthday. Do you have the cooking conversion? Thank you!

Maria — March 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Hi, I was wondering if I could use 3 teaspoons of baking soda instead of baking powder? And i was wondering, why does the recipe call for both?

Alejandra Hdez G. — March 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

I made them two days ago… just perfect!! Thanks!

Brandi — March 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This is HILARIOUS! I discovered the Hershey's recipe just a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!! So I clicked your link to see if it was similar to that one…only to find it was the same one. Guess I've got the best recipe already. :-) I've made it 3 times to great success (for cakes and cupcakes)… am waiting to try it for a larger cake…

Anonymous — March 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

ssI'm so sad. I made a batch of chocolate and vanilla last night and neither turned out. The chocolate taste good but look terrible and actually pulled away from the liner. The vanilla turned out dry…I feel like a failure. They are for a babyshower so tonight it is to the box mix

Anonymous — March 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

I've been using this recipe for probably over 12 years ( though I have always called it "deep dark chocolate cake"), but I had forgotten all about it for the last few years. Just made it again yesterday, and it truly is the perfect chocolate cake. This recipe has never failed me.

Anonymous — March 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm

when it says use 3/4 cup of flour how much is that in weight??

web design — April 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Great! looks really delicious.=D

Anonymous — April 15, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Just tried this recipe….same as another…the batter looked perfect until I added the water, there was way too much liquid! They were very gooey and almost not cooked inside even after adding SEVERAL minutes cooking to them. I will try again without the water because they had great flavour.

Alex — April 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I JUST baked these, and they are some of the best cupcakes I have ever had!!!

Anonymous — April 26, 2012 at 11:50 am

I just made a gluten-free version of your cupcakes and….I'm in heaven! I made the regular recipe for a shower last weekend and my husband said they were the best chocolate cupcakes he's ever had. So, I'm going to fool him tonight and see if he could taste the difference in the gluten-free recipe. I use the "land-o-Lakes" gluten-free flour blend and it is the best flour blend I have found! Maybe you could spotlight a gluten-free recipe soon!

belle the baker — April 27, 2012 at 6:58 am

So i made these and they would not come off of the paper liner which was super dissapointing cause i only got like half the cupcake- Any tips for this?

Anonymous — May 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Honestly, the BEST chocolate cake I have ever tasted. Made it for my birthday, and I'll never go back. Added fresh strawberries, cut in half, to the top with a dash of powdered sugar and served it with vanilla ice cream. HEAVEN. (The batter will be the consistency of water when you pour it in the pan – don't fret. It will bake up correctly.)

Lisa — May 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Lisa — May 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Made these last night and they are FABULOUS! Not only in taste but absolutely love the domed tops which cool to a slightly harder texture (yum). Ample batter to make 12 standard & 48 mini cupcakes. A tip for Australians – remember that US cup & tablespoon measurements are different from the Australian sizes eg Aussie 1 cup is 250ml whereas US 1 cup is 237ml (usually rounded to 240ml); Aussie 1 tablespoon is 20ml (4tsp) whereas US 1 tablespoon is 15ml (3tsp). Target has a cup/spoon set with US sizes on it for only $4, worth getting!

Anonymous — May 15, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hi Glory,

I just made your vanilla cake recipe last night and it was wonderful! I'm planning on trying this next, but I need to make a 12" double layer round cake. Do you by any chance know if doubling would be enough and if I would need to adjust the temp?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Love your blog!!
    Michelle

pohaikealoha — May 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Found this post hours ago on pinterest and made them asap. Made a few adjustments based on what I had and just enjoyed the most wonderful chocolate cake I've had. Moist, fluffy, rich…and decadent! Could only be done better with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

Used Hershey's Dark Chocolate powder, buttermilk, and coffee as substitutes. Filled each cupcake with 1/4 cup batter, made exactly 24 cupcakes. Came out with perfect mounds (not flat at all). I baked it for 20 minutes in my oven.

Mahalo for my new go-to chocolate cake recipe.

Anonymous — May 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I made these cupcakes today. Didn't have regular milk so I used buttermilk and I didn't have enough unsweetened regular coco powder so I substituted the same amount of dark chocolate powder. The taste and textures was amazing! They were indeed flat on the top and the batter was indeed very runny but they tasted great. My only complaint is that too much of the cupcake stuck to the cupcake wrapper. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Anonymous — May 27, 2012 at 6:50 am

How about doing a proper recipe in gramms? So the rest of the World (except America) can bake these cupcakes. Couldn't do these ones because I have no idea how much flour etc. I need. :(

Anonymous — May 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I found that if you didn't cool the cup cakes enough they stuck to the wrapper. When the cakes cooled enough, they shrink a little and release better. Just my two cents on this…

Ana Karina — June 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I made the recipe… but they came out flat, not so cute looking… what did i do wrong? Writing from South America.

Veni — June 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

Tried this recipe today and it was just perfect ..Thank you so much :)

Des — June 10, 2012 at 3:13 am

can someone please tell me how to make the little flower on top of the cupcake??? LOVE it!

Anonymous — June 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Have you made this as a cake instead of cupcakes? If so, what temp and how long? I've made the cupcakes twice and they are perfect!!!

Ansa — June 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Well, I knew I loved the cupcakes and thought I would try making a little double layer 6″ cake for Fathers Day for my BIL
    Did NOT work…….I think this is too soft for a cake. I baked it for almost 50 min at 350 in 6″ pans that were filled a little more than half way,
    I an say it came out of the pans ok…but trying to frost them….they are just too wiggley…they dont firm up like a cake. UNLESS Im doing something wrong……I think Ill stick to CUPCAKES with this recipe….those are AWESOME!

Ansa

• Glory replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 12:50 am

Ansa- I have made cakes several times with this recipe, but as you said, the cake is quite fluffy and delicate. I usually freeze my cake layers (wrapped well in plastic wrap) before frosting them, this give you a more durable surface to frost.

Heather-Nicole — June 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if its okay it use canola oil instead of vegetable oil or will it alter the taste?

• Glory replied: — June 29th, 2012 @ 4:55 am

Canola oil will work just lovely!

GalwayGrl — July 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm

These cupcakes are AMAZING!!
    I would like to make a cake using this recipe but do the measurements need to be changed?

• Glory replied: — July 8th, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

This recipe can be used for a cake, using the recipe as is. Of course you’ll need to adjust the baking time, depending on the size of your pans. The cake is baked when it has a slight dome, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs, but no wet batter.

Alexandra — July 11, 2012 at 3:30 am

Hi, I want to try this recipe but was wondering if I could use cake flour vs all purpose flour as long as I used 1cup + 2tbsp for every 1 cup of all purpose flour this recipe calls for?

• Glory replied: — July 12th, 2012 @ 1:23 am

I’ve only made the recipe as posted, but feel free to try any substitutions you like =)

Michelle — July 15, 2012 at 7:09 am

I have been using this recipe for about 2 months, however I have a big problem with getting just the right amount of batter into the cups, if I put just a smudge too much they overflow out of the cups instead of just rising to make a pretty dome…any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Brenda Renteria — July 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I have tried many chocolate cupcake recipes and this one got the best reviews from everyone I’ve made them for!! love!!

Lynn — July 17, 2012 at 1:28 am

These are amazing!! I’m quite new to this whole homemade baking bit… as in… this was my first attempt at baking a homemade cupcake!! I must say, I’m extremely grateful that your recipe was the first I came across!!! The only problem i ran into is that the second and third batch tasted a bit off. The first batch was ridiculously amazing!! but the last two had a bit of an eggyv (?) taste to it. Am i supposed to keep it in the refrigerator between pouring cupcakes or did i not mix it enough before pouring again? I know it sounds like a silly question, I’m just not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

• Glory replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

Lynn, You do not need to do anything special with the batter while the first, or second batches are baking. I have never tasted any difference within the batches. Often the second and third batches bake up a bit better, with a nicer dome, because the baking soda has already had time to activate. Other than that, there should be no difference. Make sure you are using the best quality cocoa and vanilla you can find, those two ingredients make a big difference.

Jaclyn — July 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Glory, I made these this weekend and they were fabulous! Thanks for the great recipe as always :)

• Glory replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

Yay, so glad you enjoyed them! They are always a favorite in our house!
      Looking forward to seeing you at Cookie Con!

Lisa — July 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I loved your vanilla cupcakes so I figured I’d try these. Would this recipe work with coffee instead of boiling water?

• Glory replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

Yes. If you are using high quality cocoa, coffee is not necessary, but if you can only get ahold of Hershey’s cocoa (for example), using coffee in place of the hot water will help deepen the cocoa flavor, and will leave no coffee flavor.

Cláudia Duarte — July 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hi! I found your blog yesterday looking for a flawless chocolate cupcake recipe, needlees tosay that i was lost for a couple of hours in here lookinhg through everything else… :)
    I was hoping you could help with one thing, i realy want to try these but i’m from Portugal and i’m not quite sure how to “translate” the measures…

I roughly turned the cups measures into these grams and ml measures, could you tell me if this is correct?

365g Sugar
    250g Flour
    100g Cocoa
    1 ½ spoon Baking Powder
    1 ½ spoon Baking Soda
    1 spoon Salt
    2 Egs
    240ml Whole Milk
    120ml Vegetable Oil
    2 spoons Vanilla Extract
    240ml Bowling Water

Thank you so much for the blog, I’m really dying to try them so i can put them in my blog (although is not a coking blog) and to make them to a friends Bridal Shower.

Cacd

• Glory replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Cluadia- I have never baked using grams or ml, so I would have no way to know without using Google and converting the measurements the best I could. I’m sure if you used a conversion chart, you have reached a very close match. Best of luck!

Cláudia Duarte — July 24, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thank you for the replay.
    I already made them and i think i got it right because they were delicious! :) But not pretty, by my own fault. I still don’t master the frosting situation…
    When i get them to look as good as they taste i will take a lot of pictures!

Cindy — July 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Love your recipe! Where can I find brown cupcake liners?

Holly — July 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Love these cupcakes. They have become my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. The only change I make is I swap unsweetened applesauce for the veggie oil, equal parts, and they still come out delclious.

I brought them into work and one of the girls took a bite and said these taste so… healthy and clean.

Thanks for the great post.

Crystal — August 9, 2012 at 12:13 am

I took my first stab at making cupcakes this week and started with your perfect vanilla cupcakes recipe. They turned out AMAZING! You made me look like I’ve done this before… the chocolate cupcake recipe, on the other hand, not so delicious. I will admit I searched for Ghirardelli and came up short, so Hershey’s it was. The taste was actually quite good, but my major issue was that I cooked them for only 20 minutes and they were crispy on the edges and stuck terribly to the top edge of the liner. Also the bottom had a huge glob of cupcake stuck to it. Any suggestions? Thanks for your great blog!

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Crystal, I’m so glad you enjoyed my vanilla cupcake recipe. Baking times can vary a bit, so feel free to experiment. You may want to try different liners as well.

Kim Perry — August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

To get the dome on the cupcake use cold eggs

Melissa O — August 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This cupcakes are so good!!! They are fluffly, chocolaty, heavenly divine :)
    They are fresh out of the oven, but i had to take a bite out of one… They are delicious!
    But im gonna do a dulce de leche frosting ^^ Just because my latin blood is asking for it XD

Kirsty — August 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

These cupcakes look delicious. Does anybody know the UK equivalent to this recipe please? Would love to try it xx

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

Kirsty, A google search should lead you to a good conversion chart.
      Happy Baking!

Tessa — August 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I live in Colorado and know that sometimes you have to adjust the recipe for the high altitude. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rachael — September 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

What if I wanted to use this recipe for a cake and not cupcakes? Would anything change in regards to cook time?

• Glory replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Rachael, This recipe makes a delicious cake! I have not listed the baking times, because they will vary quite a bit depending on the size pans you use, and the amount of batter in each pan. The cakes are done when they have a slight dome, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, but no wet batter. Happy Baking!

Lauren — September 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I made your vanilla cupcakes a few weeks back for the base of a coconut cupcake and they we’re perfect! They we’re so moist and delicious, and now I definitely want to try this chocolate recipe. If I can only find Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder, do you suggest using hot coffee instead of the boiling water, or should I leave the recipe as is? Thanks!

• Glory replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Yes, replacing the water with hot coffee will up the chocolate flavor when using a more mild cocoa.
      So glad you enjoyed the vanilla recipe and did some successful experimenting with it!
      Happy Baking!

Blakeley — September 16, 2012 at 1:22 am

I asked my son what kind of cupcakes he wanted for his second birthday. “chocolate” he says. I had “pinned” this recipe months ago, but when I saw the picture I knew that’s what he wanted. They were amazing. All the kids devoured them. Thank you so much for a great recipe. They are my new chocolate cupcake staple.

Think Cake — September 17, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Hi,, I made this today, not good, the batter overflowed the cupcake pan, any advice please? I´m thinking. too much sugar or too much baking soda and baking powder.
    Help, please, I´m a little dissapointed, I wanted chocolate cupcakes for dinner TODAY!! :(
    Las week I made your venilla cupcakes and I they turned out great.

• Glory replied: — September 18th, 2012 @ 2:59 am

Hi, It sounds like your only problem was over filling the cups. Try filling the liners just half full. I have made this recipe probably 100 times, so I’m quite sure the proportions work (unless by chance you are at high elevation, that would be another issue altogether). Glad the vanilla ones worked out for you. Give this recipe another try and I think you’ll love it too!

Sue — September 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

Baked your chocolate cupcakes & they worked & tasted a treat. Only thing I didn’t need to cook them for as long as you wrote. I have added your scrumptous recipe to my book. Thanks heaps for sharing :)

Zey — September 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi there! I am planning to bake these delicious chocolate cupcakes for the next weekend! Where can I get the recipe of this ” blue icing’ ? which looks amazing..Thanks :)

Vallari — September 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Hi Glory,

God bless you loads and loads for this ‘over the top lovely’ recipe. Thank God for I chanced to stop by your blog.
    I baked a dozen of these yesterday for a birthday party today and people just loved them so much! Its a relief to have so little to do to make such wonderful treats. Ive pushed back my old recipe.
    I find they taste the best a day later.
    Thank you so much.

Chepel — October 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Can I divide this cupcake recipe.

eloise — October 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hi, i was wondering if i could half this recipe to make just 12 cupcakes? or will that not work? many thanks, eloise. x

Eloise — October 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I have tried to make these a few times now, and every time they sink in the middle when cooling I have tried leaving them in at different times, 16, 18, 20 and 22 mins. But they still sink. I use your vanilla one all the time, it’s perfect but I can’t get this one right. Any suggestions? Also would you not try putting real melted chocolate in it? Many thanks Eloise. X x

• Glory replied: — November 9th, 2012 @ 10:35 pm

Without being in the kitchen with you, it’s hard to know for sure. Do you live at high elevation? By “sink”, do the cupcakes get concaved, or just lower slightly? The cupcakes will sometimes reduce just slightly as they cool, but they will/should still have a slight dome, or at least be flat, they should not be concave.

Raquel — November 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Very happy! I have ghiradelli and hersheys in my cubbard and havent found one recipe (until now) that actually wants you to use that brand! Yaye, on my way to the kitchen now;-) thank you soo much!

-pastrychef

Kiley — November 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I have some left over cake flour from a previous recipe, that I am trying to use up. Would it work with this recipe, or is all-purpose the better route? Can’t wait to try them out, they look wonderful! Thank you much!

• Glory replied: — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Kiley, I have never used cake flour for this recipe, so I can’t answer for sure. I would say it would probably work fine. But you’ll need to adjust the measurement of flour a bit. Use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for ever cup of all purpose flour listed.

Megan — November 24, 2012 at 4:33 am

Where can I find Ghiradelli cocoa powder? I heard it could be found in Whole Foods, but I wanna be 100% sure since I live far from Whole Foods… By the way, I live in Houston. :)

• Glory replied: — November 24th, 2012 @ 5:15 am

Of course I have no way of knowing what stores in your area may or may not stock Ghirardelli cocoa. I like Ghirardelli, and that’s what I use, but you can use any high quality cocoa powder available in your area. I’m sure Whole Foods would have a good choice. Usually price is a good way to know the quality of the cocoa… the higher prices cocoas are usually the higher quality.
      Happy baking!

Nicole — December 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Is it possible to cup this recipe in half and keep the same consistency I need to make a dozen cupcakes and i don’t want to be tempted to eat the others!

Michelle — December 14, 2012 at 2:06 am

does this recipe have butter?

Courtney — December 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

These came out really good!. But I love the consistancy of your perfect vanilla cupcakes. Is there a reason why you shoulnd’t use cake flour in the chocolate recipe as well?

Vanessa — December 26, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I made the chocolate cupcake recipe for Christmas to give out to my family and friends. My cupcakes turned out very good and I got a lot of compliments from my family even using the Hershey cocoa powder, but next time I will try the Ghiradelli (their box brownie mix is way better than any other brand so I figure your’re right about the taste of the cocoa powder). I did overfill most of them but nobody noticed or cared (definitely didn’t consider them ruined)! Most of mine came out a little flat on top as well but maybe it had something to do with overfilling them. Anyway, great recipe! They were super moist.

Mia — December 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You weren’t kidding– these ARE perfect! They are moist and flavorful, and bake up just right to hold some of that American buttercream frosting (with a splash of bourbon, just for kicks). Thanks!

Hali — January 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi Glorius Treats! Theese look so yummy I can’t wait to try them:) I was wondering if the recipe can be cut in half though. Im having a party and want to offer both vanilla and chocolate cupcakes, so I don’t need 24 chocolate. I saw a few other people asked the same question, but I couldn’t find the asnwer. If I missed it, sorry!
    Thanks for the help!

Jen — January 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

oh my gosh, this is the best tasting cupcake ever!! thank you so much for sharing ur recipe!! will be making it for my lil girl’s 3rd birthday party :)

Leah — January 21, 2013 at 5:14 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe and all the others you have. I have only recently discovered your blog and so far, I have tried this recipe and the buttercream frosting recipe and both produced amazing results. :-)

Janet — January 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

When I made these the batter tasted phenomenal, but when they were in the oven they sunk. I have no idea why they did that. I followed the directions carefully. I was really disappointed because they tasted good, but sunk in the center. Also I put them in the oven for the time directed (about18-22 minutes) and they did not want to cook in the center.

• Glory replied: — January 28th, 2013 @ 3:05 am

Do you live at a high elevation? The only time I’ve heard of this being an issue was for those at high elevation. Other than that, I’m not sure what may have happened. I’m made this recipe over 100 times and never had that issue. Maybe check you baking powder or baking soda for freshness?

Brittany — January 30, 2013 at 6:07 am

I can’t wait to try these- I loved the vanilla ones! But I have a few quick questions: 1. I am making these for a group of about 50 people, so would it be safer to make 2 separate batches or double the recipe? And 2. I have Natural Process Non-Dutched Cocoa. Would that work? Thanks for your fabulous recipes- they are always a hit!

• Glory replied: — January 30th, 2013 @ 6:11 am

For 50 cupcakes I would suggest two separate batches (unless you have two ovens). As you prepare the ingredients for the first batch, add the ingredients for the second batch into separate bowls, to make it easy to prepare the second batch.

I usually use natural cocoa as well, so that should work great.

Cheryl — February 10, 2013 at 4:12 am

I am so disappointed and frustrated! I tried this recipe, followed it exactly, and they were an epic failure. I threw them all away. I didn’t want them to burn, so didn’t take them out until the tooth pick came out clean. They were over cooked on the bottom and stuck in the muffin pan. Also not fluffy at all, more like chewy. Why ?? I feel like it may have been the hot water. Yet how come the rest of you had such success?? Not exactly my first time baking!

• Glory replied: — February 10th, 2013 @ 4:31 am

Cheryl,
      I’m sorry you didn’t have success. I’ve made this recipe dozens and dozens of times, it’s a favorite in our house. It’s hard to know for sure what to recommend… although the one note I picked up on is you said they stuck to the muffin pan, did you use cupcake liners? You will certainly have more success if you use paper (or foil) liners.

Betty — February 10, 2013 at 10:58 pm

These are incredible – i made them exactly as you wrote the recipe and they were perfect. Thanks for the tip after the boiling water is added, i would’ve been totally perplexed at the consistency.

Amanda — February 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Maybe a silly question…can I use this recipe for a cake or is it specifically for cupcakes?

Jayde — February 12, 2013 at 9:38 am

Gloria, these cupcakes came out WONDERFULLY soft and so decadent! I made them for my mom’s 50th birthday with a dark chocolate buttercream frosting and all 60 of them were wiped out! Thanks for sharing, love your blog!!!

Kelse Truitt — February 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Glory, Absolutely the best recipe in my book! So glad I found it!

deborah marshall — February 13, 2013 at 10:53 am

hi wow these cupcakes look amazing im going to make it with the choclate frosting tommrow for valintines days cant wait and I was just wondering how did you make the red lovehearts on the choclate cupcakes thankyou

Anni — February 14, 2013 at 2:42 am

I just tried them out as a Valentines Day treat. They taste great, thanks for sharing! :)

Nadia — February 16, 2013 at 9:30 pm

LOVE this cupcake recipe! Just made them today and they turned out soooo moist! This recipe is a keeper for sure! Thank you so much for this excellent recipe! :D

Colleen — March 2, 2013 at 7:44 pm

You may have answered this already but what changes would you make to the recipe to make this into a layer cake. Also you said they would freeze well. Is that with the icing too?

Denise — March 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Oh my. I will NEVER buy boxed mix again. I made these for a friend who was going through a rough time and of course had to sample before I gave them away. So moist and decadent. I used a chocolate buttercream frosting.
    P.s. since I didn’t have whole milk, but had 2/3 cup of buttermilk, I used that and 1/3 cup 2%. Perfection….thanks for the recipe.

Ambar — March 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm

i made these cupcakes today and was a bit disappointed….although they were moist, on the other hand they were also very dense….i expected something light…..i followed the recipe to the T and im not very happy with the result…what could have been wrong…???

amy — March 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

wow they look good cant w8 2 make em delicious

Tracie — March 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I never leave comments- but these were SO good I just had to. I followed the recipe exactly and they are divine!! I also made your vanilla icing to go with them, which was also incredible! I topped some with coconut, which pushed them way over the edge! Thanks so much for sharing this.

ulrique cuisine — March 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm

It looks so marvelous!
    Please give us the secret of your smooth cream/icing !!

I tested a lot of different recipe and I get one nice for easter with small chocolat eggs ;-)

Deb Kienow — April 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I made the chocolate cupcake recipe for Easter this year. The cupcakes were so moist and is the best from scratch cake recipe I have found except for a vegan one I had to use once. The secret is the chocolate , oil and hot water. The cupcakes were even better the next day. They were so yummy. My family loved them. I even got out the decorating equipment and had fun. I am excited that this can be made into a layer cake as well.
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am excited to try the vanilla ones next time.

Dani — April 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This recipe was absolutely delicious! I would definetly recommend filling the cupcake liners 1/2 of the way full versus 3/4 full. My first batch I filled them 3/4 full and the cupcakes came out HUGE but very tasty. The second batch I filled them 1/2 the way full and they were still on the large side. My cupcakes were done much quicker at 13-15 minutes. Thank you for this delicious recipe that actually yielded more than stated!

Yemi A. — April 26, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I followed your instructions precisely and also read your entries on: “How to bake cupcakes” and “How to frost cupcakes”. They came out perfectly and were a hit at friend’s baby shower.

nicole — May 1, 2013 at 5:49 am

hi just wondering is that fan forced??
    thanks :)

• Glory replied: — May 6th, 2013 @ 3:55 am

I’m not sure what you’re asking?

Zai Abdullah — May 8, 2013 at 7:55 am

Hi Glory,
    I love all your recipes that I’ve tried and this one is no exception. I want to know if I can use the same recipe to make a whole cake because the batter is very thin. Alternatively, do you have another chocolate cake recipe for a whole cake? Thanks!! :)

• Glory replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 3:07 am

This recipe works great for cake.

Kathie — May 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi there! I found your blog via Pinterest. I’m wanting to try out this recipe and I was wondering what do you consider to be the best quality unsweetened cocoa? I have to admit that I’m usually cheap and buy the generic brand at the store.

thanks!

Olivia — May 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm

These are delicious, however, my first batch came out sunken in the center and flat tops. I live in Denver, so maybe an altitude problem? I added 2 Tb flour and increased oven temp to 375. They came out much better. Don’t overfill muffin cups more than 2/3 full either. Thanks for the recipe!

Becky O. — May 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Making these for my kids school (120 of them… yikes!) and was so stressed out when my first batch overflowed the cups, then sunk in the middle. The flavor was amazing, but they were a mess. I checked my oven temp, and it was spot on 350. Did some reading, and figured out the problem. My oven seems to lose almost 25 degrees when I open the door, and takes over 10 minutes to recover. :( Upped the temp to close to 400 to preheat, then bumped it down to 375 after I popped them in… 2nd batch in the oven right now, and beautiful little domes. Let’s hope I don’t have the sinking issue either but so far so good. Just wanted to share this in case someone else had similar issues. I’m used to working with thicker batter cupcakes but this recipe cut down on my cost for making so many (oil vs. butter) so I was excited to try it! Thanks for all your tips!

ana — May 27, 2013 at 4:20 am

Just a question how do you get the batter to rise evenly and not higher in some ends or pointy? Is it because I maybe be over whipping the batter and it has too much air? How long do you whip up the batter for? or is it that im putting in too much or something. unsure :( tasted wonderful though they just weren’t even.
    sad face

feliezcia frome — May 28, 2013 at 1:00 am

Made these! SOO good. love them.

Adelaide — May 30, 2013 at 1:10 am

Hi Glory! I have made and LOVED these cupcakes and I was wondering how you could alter the recipe so you could make it fit a 9 inch round cake pan. These cupcakes are phenomenal!

Karishma — June 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Hi Glory! These look absolutely fantastic, just wondering if these would work with a flax seed egg replacer? I need to bake this cake for my vegan aunt. Thanks!

anon — June 9, 2013 at 7:06 am

Hello! I would just like to say that these cupcakes were excellent! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us! :)

Natalie — June 27, 2013 at 11:58 am

Just wanted to say a big thank you for sharing this recipe. I made these cupcakes with Ghirardelli’s cocoa and they were an absolute hit!! :)

Jenabelle — July 9, 2013 at 2:11 am

Perfection! Just whipped up a batch and they all turned out perfectly – moist, chocolate-y, not too sweet – with just the slightest dome tops. Thank you!

alice — July 13, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I, too, discovered this recipe on the hershey coca box. Incredibly moist! It’s the oil that does it. Love the rose.

Stephanie — July 17, 2013 at 2:58 am

Hi, I made these cupcakes for a party and they were a hit! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I was wondering, to make an 8″ inch cake (my cake pan is 3″ high), will this recipe be enough?

Thank you!

Cara Milton — July 18, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Wonderful cakes, I am baking these tomorrow!
    May I ask how you get such perfect, flat topped cupcakes please?
    Thank you!x

hamilton Collection — July 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on
    your page. Im really impressed by your blog.

Hey there, You’ve performed an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I’m
    sure they will be benefited from this website.

Haley — August 5, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I’m sorry to say, but I was very disappointed with this recipe. I had a party last weekend and I thought I would give it a try, because cupcakes on this site look so cute and pretty – also, this recipe seemed not only very simple to make, but also economical considering ingredients cost.
    I followed the recipe carefully , and the outcome was disastrous. For last 17 I’ve been baking cakes, cupcakes & cookies and the results are sometimes great, sometimes not-so-good, but that’s actually the first time it turned out literally inedible (4 of 5 people who tried the cupcakes declared them inedible, one said they were only very bad, but tolerable). They looked OK, the texture was also good, but the taste was awful.
    Fortunately I had enough time and enough cupcake liners to bake few more batches and I made some using my trusty chocolate cake recipe (combination of recipes by my grandpa and by Nigella), so the party was saved.
    Still, I’m really shocked that recipe from such good site can turn out so bad.

Joy — August 15, 2013 at 5:57 am

Hi Glory! I tried your perfect vanilla cupcake recipe and it was really perfect!
    Thanks for sharing and this will be my vanilla cupcake recipe for life.
    I’m so excited to see your chocolate cupcake in this recipe and wonder if I can
    Do the same recipe as the vanilla cupcake by using buttermilk (butter with lemon juice) and use oil instead of butter? Hope to hear from you soon. Can’t wait to try it tmr and update you :)

Cheers
    Joy

• Glory replied: — August 24th, 2013 @ 4:43 am

Hi Joy, This recipe calls for oil (just as the vanilla recipe), and you can just follow the recipe as is, using regular milk. Buttermilk is not needed in this case. Happy baking!

Eva — August 17, 2013 at 9:55 am

oh my goodness.. I used this recipe and made 2 9” cakes.. accompanied by your chocolate cream cheese frosting.. this is the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten in my life.. can’t wait to try out your vanilla cupcake recipe next

Jeannie — August 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I halved this chocolate cupcake recipe and they turned out perfectly! Moist, fluffy and just enough chocolate flavour. This will be my new ‘go to’ recipe from now on.
    THANKS!

Farzana — September 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I tried them! They are great! My only problem was that they were not of the same height and the top was not perfect like urs. How can i achieve perfect ones like urs? I did fill them up as similarly as possible

• Glory replied: — September 18th, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Hi Farzana, There is no real secret, just a bit of practice I guess. For this batter I usually fill a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and pour the batter into the paper liners. I just do my best to eye-ball it. It doesn’t really matter if they are not all perfect, because once they are frosted no one will know! =)

Emily — September 3, 2013 at 4:29 am

Hi,

I tried the vanilla cupcake recipe and love it! However, I would like to make a chocolate edition using almost same ingredients so there aren’t so much leftover raw materials. This chocolate cupcake recipe uses self-raising flour instead of cake flour. Can I do a one-to-one replacement? Thanks!

Farzana — September 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thanks a million!

Femke — October 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Wow, they look awesome!!! Saturday I have my birthdayparty, I’m sure I’m gonna make them tomorrow or tonight for my party!!!

Kim — October 10, 2013 at 3:34 am

Hi :)
    Thanks for all your posts :) I’ve tried your vanilla cupcakes so far and they’re awesome!!! For these cupcakes, how far in advance do you reckon I can bake them? I need to find a recipe where the cupcakes will still be fine to be eaten on the 3rd day as have other commitments on the day before they’ll be eaten. Thanks in advance for your reply :)
    Kim

• Glory replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

Hi Kim, In general I like to serve baked goods as fresh as possible, but in the case of this recipe, it does last quite well. You should be fine baking them two days in advance. I would wait to frost them either the night before, or the day of your event.

ina — October 24, 2013 at 7:16 am

Hi, I tried this one and its delicious, as of now i can’t find vanilla extract within our area i only have almond extract. can i substitute this for vanilla extract?
    Thanks and hope you can help me on this

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

Ina, I’m not sure if I would use almond extract in this recipe. You might look on-line to purchase the vanilla extract, or you can look on-line for recipes to make your own. Happy baking!

Whitley — December 12, 2013 at 7:30 am

hi glory
    if I wanted to make half the amount of cupcakes can I just exactly halve everything in the recipe?
    thanks

• Glory replied: — December 12th, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

Sure! =)

Milena — December 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

Hi everybody, I just wanted to say that this recipe is THE most perfect recipe for chocolate cupcakes! And I’ve tried so many. They were moist, rose enough and …oh I’m speechless . The ingredients are not expensive and are easy to combine. Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try vanilla cupcakes. Cheers!

Rabia — January 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Gloria,

Absolutely LOVE your perfect vanilla cupcake recipe. However do you always use normal granulated sugar in your recipes as i have only ever used castor sugar?

Nicole — January 7, 2014 at 12:28 am

Just wondering if you’ve ever baked these at 330°?
    I’m making a batch of vanilla and batch of chocolate and was hoping to put them in together while my babies sleep but my vanilla recipe bakes at 160°C and I’m worried if I put them in at a lower temp they might turn out stodgy? Or am I just being stupid and they’ll be fine but just take longer?

Nicole — January 7, 2014 at 12:33 am

And to answer people’s questions about them peaking or being flat or chewy my first batch was all of these so next time I mixed it all by hand (used electric mixer the first time) with a whisk and mixed the water in very gently until just combined and they come out perfect every time and everyone loves them. Also if you’re in Australia like me remember American cups are different capacity to Australian cups so that may make a difference also, you can either convert the recipe to grams or buy a set of US cups, usually the stainless steel ones are US measurements but double check.
    amazing recipe, definitely my go to!

Tieka — January 31, 2014 at 12:52 pm

It all looks very good and I’m dying to try it, but I’m gonna be totally hopeless if everything is measured in cups! How much is a cup in gramms????

(sorry, I’m from germany, and we don’t have “cups” …. :( …..)

Lots of Love,
    Tieka

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

Hi Tieka, Feel free to use google to find a conversion chart to convert the measurements.

miziel — February 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm

hi..how come your cupcakes turned flat when mine has a dome on top?im having a hard figuring out..hope u can help me..thank u :)

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

Hi Miziel, My cupcakes usually bake up with a slight dome. I like them to have a dome, but once they are frosted, no one will know if there was a dome or if they were flat =)

Joanna — February 4, 2014 at 2:34 am

I don’t know if this question has already been asked, are there any alterations that need to be done for high altitude? I moved to Utah from Texas, and my recipes are not working out and just being cautious!

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 6:52 pm

Hi Joanna, Yes, with most any cake/cupcake recipe alterations will need to be made for high altitudes. I have not baked at high altitude so I don’t have any real advice I can share. I would suggest doing a google search for “alterations for baking at high altitude” and I’m sure you’ll find some adjustment suggestions as to how to adjust cake recipes.
      Happy baking!

Phanyla — March 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Haiii , i already made vanilla cupcakes and its turn out soooo delicious..like it. So i wanna ask u, for this chocolate cupcakes can i change all purpose flour to cake flour? Why almost everyone use different flour for make cupcakes, smtime use cake flour sometime use all purpose? Haha..i just curious..Is the result different if i use cake flour?

• Glory replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

I have only made the recipe as is (with all purpose flour). Feel free to experiment, but I have found the recipe to be very successful as is. In general, cake flour produces a lighter, fluffier cake, but due to the other ingredients in this recipe the end results are wonderfully light and fluffy using the ingredients listed. Feel free to use google to read up on the differences between cake flour and all purpose and I think you’ll find good opportunities to use both. Happy baking!

Dee Walker — March 28, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Gloria, I am not the best at measurements lol… how can I make this recipe for lets say 12-15 cupcakes???

• Glory replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

I would suggest simply dividing each ingredient (measurement) in half. Feel free to use google to find a good conversion chart if you need help figuring out some of the measurments. The full recipe usually produces about 27 cupcakes for me, so with half you should get around 12-14. Happy baking!

Tatiana — April 18, 2014 at 5:10 am

Hi!
    I’ve tried this recipe, it tastes good but doesn’t look as good as yours, mine weren’t flat, they were like a dome shape. Do you have any clues why this happened? Thank you very much!

• Glory replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 5:43 am

Hi Tatiana, The amount of dome depends on the amount/way you mix the ingredients and also the heat in your oven. If you want a dome shape you can increase the oven temperature to 375 for the first minutes of baking, but then be sure to turn it back down.

Tatiana — April 21, 2014 at 7:08 am

Thank you very much for replying, Glory!
    I’d like to say that I LOVED the cupcakes and they were a success between family and friends! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, it’s already my “number one” chocolate cupcake recipe! ;-)
    May I bother you again and ask how I have to mix the batter and bake it if I don’t want the dome, if I want it flat?
    xx

Elle — May 27, 2014 at 12:07 am

Hi Glory. I have been using this recipe for two years now and the reviews are always positive. Would you kindly teach me how to alter the recipe for just twelve (12) cupcakes? You’re the only one I trust on cupcakes, Glory. Your quick response would be appreciated. Thank you

• Glory replied: — May 27th, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

So glad you’re enjoying the recipe! It’s a favorite in our house too!

I would suggest simply dividing each ingredient (measurement) in half. Feel free to use google to find a good conversion chart if you need help figuring out some of the measurements. The full recipe usually produces about 27 cupcakes for me, so with half you should get around 12-14.

Elle — June 9, 2014 at 4:58 am

Hi Glory! Thank you. The 12 cupcakes were a success. :-) This might be a bit of a stretch but I was wondering if you’ve ever tried scaling the recipe down to 4 or 6 cupcakes. Some nights, I also want to bake for myself, not just for others. Hoping you could help. By the way, I had to shift to Hershey’s Cocoa since I live in the Philippines and Ghirardelli is either too expensive or not available. Tasted great!

Lorie — June 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I have used this recipe for cupcakes many times and it’s always a huge hit! Now, I will be using this for a cake instead. Can you tell me if this will be ok for carving? I will try to make a camera cake and was wondering if this recipe will be ok and also under fondant.
    Thank you in advance!

Rossella — July 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I made these yesterday and they were absolutely terrific!! 2 thumbs up withhout a doubt :)

Stephanie — July 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I used it along with your vanilla cupcake and cream cheese buttercream to make cupcakes for a graduation party. They were a huge hit! I will be trying other recipes from you!

Cathy — July 19, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Hi Glory,
    I love your site! I want to try this recipe soon however the cocoa powder I have is dutch processed. Would that affect the result seeing as there is baking soda in the recipe? Hope you to get a reply from you. Thank you!

1. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes — Serving From Home

2. Pingback: De regreso! Cupcakes de chocolate y glaseado de queso con fresas «

3. Pingback: Kit Kat Cake « Out Into Sparks

4. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes

5. Pingback: Birthday Bashes! | Carbivore

6. Pingback: Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes! |

7. Pingback: Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes with Oreo Buttercream Frosting | The Little Red Tart

8. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Sweet Baby Cupcakes (with easy fondant toppers)

9. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Snowflake Cupcakes

10. Pingback: Fiesta arco iris para el primer cumpleaños de Mara | Tastery

11. Pingback: Moro Gold Max Caramel Cupcakes « On to the plate

12. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Pink and Purple Penguin Party

13. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Gingerbread House Decorating Party

14. Pingback: Gingerbread House Decorating Party :: Cupcake Monday | The TomKat Studio

15. Pingback: kissmyquotes.com: » Chocolate Cupcakes

16. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Chocolate Valentine’s Heart Cupcakes

17. Pingback: What’s Cookin’? Wednesday {Week 2}

18. Pingback: Tiffany Blue Chocolate Cupcakes

19. Pingback: How To Prepare For Valentines Day |

20. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes with Rasperry Cream {Happy Valentines Day ♥} « Liebe geht durch den Magen

21. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Rainbow Art Birthday Party

22. Pingback: chocolate cupcake comparison

23. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Hydrangea Cupcakes

24. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes

25. Pingback: Chocolatey Crunchy Top & Fluffy Inside Cupcake | unpretentiousfood

26. Pingback: Graduation Cupcakes {and How To Make Fondant Graduation Caps} » Glorious Treats

27. Pingback: Yogurette-Cupcakes: Schoko-Cupcakes mit Erdbeer-Frosting

28. Pingback: Tiempo e inspiración |

29. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Cupcakes | Skip To My Lou

30. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Chip Cupcakes by Glorious Treats | Crafty Central

31. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Chip Cupcakes {in a jar} » Glorious Treats

32. Pingback: Čokoladni mafini / Chocolate muffins |

33. Pingback: Cupcake Crazy! Salted Caramel Cupcakes — Serving From Home

34. Pingback: perfectly chocolate cupcakes | nutmeg.

35. Pingback: 10+ Amazing Cupcake Recipes

36. Pingback: Fool Proof Chocolate Cupcake Recipe | Leo Loves Invitations

37. Pingback: Cupcakes- Recipes and Cupcake Decorating | Confetti Couture Blog

38. Pingback: Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes | Home

39. Pingback: 15 Delicious Cupcake Recipes |

40. Pingback: Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream | Love to be in the Kitchen

41. Pingback: American Buttercream Frosting {Recipe} » Glorious Treats