{Recipe} Cream Cheese Frosting

Today, I’d like to share a recipe with you. Not just any recipe… a frosting recipe I have used dozens (maybe even hundreds) of times, and I love it each time!  There are two reasons I love this recipe… one is that it’s really, really easy, and the second is that it’s really delicious!  While I do also enjoy other styles of frosting, like Swiss Meringue Buttercream, Fluffy 7 Minute Frosting, or Whipped Ganache, this recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting is easier than any other.  This is basically American style buttercream (which is butter, powdered sugar, milk), but with the addition of cream cheese.  The cream cheese is really the key ingredient, since it helps off-set the sweetness of the powdered sugar, and adds to the creaminess of the butter while also removing the greasy, pure butter flavor. Another thing I really like about this recipe is that if you use these proportions, the frosting is not really over powered by the cream cheese, it take on the flavor of whatever extract or additional flavorings are added.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup (1 stick/8 Tablespoons) Challenge butter (set at room temp about 10 minutes, but should still be cool)
8 oz. cream cheese (directly from fridge)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (always use pure vanilla extract if possible)
4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
1 to 4 Tablespoons heavy cream, heavy whipping cream (or milk- although I do like the richness that cream adds)

Directions:
*Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until fully combined and smooth, about 30 seconds.
*Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
*Slowly add the heavy cream, a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes.)
*Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
*Use at once or keep refrigerated. (This frosting will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the best texture.)

The recipe above will produce a delicious VANILLA flavored frosting, here are a couple of other options to try…

For a Stronger Cream Cheese Flavor: Use an additional 4 oz. (½ block) of cream cheese. This is good for any cake/cupcake recipe that is traditionally topped with Cream Cheese Frosting, like Carrot Cake, or Red Velvet Cake.

For Chocolate Frosting: (my favorite!) add ½ cup unsweetened cocoa (I use Ghirardelli brand, it’s really good). Add the cocoa powder before adding the powdered sugar, so it gets fully incorporated into the butter and cream cheese.

Strawberry, Blackberry, etc: Add 2-4 tablespoons of preserves. Depending on how chunky or seedy the preserves are, you may want to blend it in the food processor, and/or strain it through a fine strainer before adding it to the frosting. Add the preserves to the frosting mixture before adding the heavy cream. Depending on the amount of preserves you add you may need very little or no cream, especially if you want the frosting thick enough to pipe. A final option would be to add a drop of food coloring to add to the color of the preserves (for example, pink coloring for the Strawberry flavor).

* This recipe will frost about 22-24 cupcakes if you are piping a nice swirl, or even more if you just spread it on. If you’re making a cake, this will frost and fill a two layer 9″ cake.

209 Responses to “{Recipe} Cream Cheese Frosting”

A Touch of Country — March 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm

stopping by to say hi and welcome to the blogging world!

Hugs,

natalie

Mary — March 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Was wondering what tip you use to pipe the frosting on? Also, is there a special way (start in the middle or start on the outside?) Just curious? THANKS! ~Mary

sweetvictorya — March 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Almond and Lemon Extract are also good instead of vanilla!! Mm, this is pretty much the frosting I use on my cinnamon rolls.

DreamgirlLisa — March 9, 2010 at 5:43 am

Glory, this is consistently a wonderful recipe that I use time and time again as well. Thanks for sharing it again (of course I have it memorized by now, lol). Glad to see you blogging! Welcome!

Anonymous — March 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Whats the equivelant of 8oz cheam cheese in grams?

Glory — March 13, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Thank you each for your comments!

Mary- I usually use a Wilton 1A tip (it's an large open star tip). For my swirls I start on the outside and swirl around toward the center. I'll be doing upcoming posts that will go into even more detail, but that should get you started.

(Annonymos)- According to what I just looked up, 8 oz. of cream cheese should be equivalant to 227 grams.

Thanks for the questions.

Anonymous — March 22, 2010 at 1:57 am

Glory…I too have memorized your delicious cream cheese frosting & have made it too many times to remember. It's the only one I use & all my critics rave about it. I added your blog to my favourites so I can visit you regularly. I too have started to contemplating starting a blog sometime soon.

I love all your amazing work on flickr.

pink4roxy2

Anonymous — May 5, 2010 at 3:29 am

Hi…I just have to try this it looks great. 8 oz is approx. 226 grams. :)

Deborah — June 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Hi Glory! Just wanted to tell you I stumbled across your frosting recipe while looking for a chocolate frosting that DOESN'T taste like just cocoa powder straight from the can, and your chocolate cream cheese frosting is wonderful – the consistency is heavenly and I love how all the flavors are balanced. I made a "test batch" for my husband to try and he gave it two big thumbs up. So your frosting is going to top the chocolate cupcakes at my daughter's 2nd birthday party next week! Thank you for sharing it! :)

Lori — June 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

What tip did you use to pipe the frosting? They look sooo yummy.

Glory — June 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Lori- Thanks for the nice comment. I usually use a Wilton 1M tip to frost my cupcakes, it's a large, open star tip. Also, make sure to not add too much liquid (cream or milk) to the frosting, or it will not hold up very well when you try to pipe it.

Cassidy — June 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

i'm so trying this when i get the chance !

i adore your blog <3

Nicole — June 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Sounds great! Can you leave this on the counter overnight or does it have to be refrigerated? I've just never refrigerated cupcakes and curious if they can be made the night before and left out. Thanks!

Glory — June 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Nicole-
    You can leave the cupcakes out, either loosly covered or just open. The sugar in the frosting acts as a preservative, so the cream cheese will not go bad. If you are making these in really warm weather I sometimes put the freshly frosted cupcakes in the fridge just for a little while (15-20 minutes) for the frosting to firm up a bit. This seems to help the frosting from melting off the cupcakes later (in warm weather).

For the freshest taste, if I am baking the cupcakes the night before, I will wait to frost them until the day they will be eaten.
    Enjoy!

Tiffani — July 1, 2010 at 11:10 am

Thank you for sharing your cream cheese frosting recipe. I'm dying to try it using some crushed Oreos for a cookies and cream flavor!

creative patti — July 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thank you sooo much for sharing, this is always a challenge for me. I think I will make a cake just because!!! LOL!!!

Simona — July 7, 2010 at 1:04 am

Hello Glory, sorry to bother you, I'm from Romania, I turned in grams but I wanted to be sure that 4 cups of powdered sugar mean 440 grams, it seemed too much, and I want to make sure.
    Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous — August 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Glory,
    Once the cupcakes are frosted, how long will they survive refrigerated and non-refrigerated? Thanks!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Anonymous- Bottom line is cupcakes always taste the absolute best the day they are made. If I am short on time, I may bake my cupcakes the day before, and then frost them the day of an event. The cream cheese frosting will be fine (once on a cupcake) in the frige or out on the counter for a day or two. In fact it will last longer than that, but it will be a bit dry on the outside, and would not be apropriate for a party.
    Happy Baking!

Simone — August 16, 2010 at 8:21 am

hey glory, i just used your chocolate frosting for wedding-cuppies, and everybody loved it!!! to be honest i reduced the sugar (american receipes are often a bit to sweet for german tongues) – but nevertheless the texture was just perfect. i had some leftovers, and the next day i brought it to a brunch – the girls just ate the frosting as if it was mousse au chocolat!!! ;)
    thank you so much!

Anonymous — August 16, 2010 at 11:31 am

Hi Glory,
    Tried the frosting with jam but it was very runny – refrigerated it but didn't have much time – any suggestions for making it less runny without having to refrigerate it if you need to frost right away?
    Thanks, Cathy

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Anonymous- If your frosting is too soft it's some combination of the ingredients being too warm, and too much liquid added. Next time, try adding the jam before adding any cream, and then see if any cream is needed. Also, make sure the butter and cream cheese are very cool when you start. Once you add all your ingredients if it's too soft, you can always add a bit more powdered sugar, but it is highly preferable to just refrigerate the frosting and wait for it to firm up.

Anonymous — August 18, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Hi Glory,
    I saw the whipped strawberry filling inside the cupcake. Can you give the recipe and measurement how to make it. It looks so good!!! Thanks :-)

Anonymous — October 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hi…I made the chocolate version using Ghirardelli cocoa like you, but my icing was much lighter in color than yours pictured above.
    Not sure why?

Susana M M — October 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hello!!! Thanks for sharing such delicious recipes!!! I also did the chocolate cream frosting using Ghirardelli's cocoa like you did and it also came out pretty light in color and it didn't taste very sweet…….I didn't know if I was supposed to add the vanilla extract, so I did, but didn't add much sweetness to it. Anyways everybody loved my cupcakes, but you could you please tell me if I'm supposed to add the vanilla extract or not………Thanks in advance and Congratulations for being so TALENTED!!!….. :o)

Glory/ Glorious Treats — October 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

To- Anonymous and Susana-
    In regards to the color, the longer you beat the frosting, the lighter it will be, so you may have beat it a bit longer than I usually do.

As for taste- I can't quite believe the frosting was sweet to you… did you add all four cups of powdered sugar? If you want, I'm sure you could add in one more cup of sugar.

Also, yes the vanilla extract should be added even to the chocolate version. It wont add any sweetness, just a little boost in flavor.

I'd love to hear if you give it another try.
    Happy Baking!

sinsweetlyyours.blogspot.com — November 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

This is one of my favorite frostings to make! Most people usually comment that it is not overly sweet. I like all the variations you posted too:) Your blogs is one of my favorites.

dining room table — November 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I have always have difficulty making frosting and their flavors. This is a nice help you have here. Thanks a lot.

little daisy — January 3, 2011 at 3:00 am

that was really gorgeous! and the fact that your frosting seem so smooth is really enviable. how do you manage that?

Medifast Coupons — January 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

This frosting recipe is incredible. The flavours mix so well, and it has great consistency. The pictures are fantastic.

Anonymous — January 10, 2011 at 6:55 am

Thanks for this great and easy recipe, I will try the frosting right now :-) Laura from Germany

crustabakes — January 17, 2011 at 7:18 am

These look divine! I love all versions of this cupcakes! I am so gonna try that cream cheese frosting. Thanks so much for sharing!

sugar47 — January 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

Gloria my name is Starla, I'm from Florida. Your work you post is so brillant. Have you ever thought of auditioning for Cupcake Wars, or just opening up your own cupcake store front, or doing an online ordering site. You could be a millionare with your skills!!!!Don't let opportunity pass you buy. Your items are extremely professional looking, and I'm pretty sure the taste lives up to the look….I'm just saying!!!!Great job girl….

Xiaolu — February 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hi there! I love your blog and these look really awesome! I've struggled with globby cream cheese frosting for a long time and finally was about to make a somewhat firm one. But what I really want to achieve is actually cream cheese frosting that is soft and fluffy yet can be piped in blobs like in this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/foodlibrarian/3528412138/ Do you happen to have any suggestions either in terms of preparing or piping the frosting to get this result? Thanks in advance!

Sara-Nicole — February 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Thats so much for sharing your icing recipe with the web. I made red-velvet cupcakes (for my class tomorrow) and I've always had a hard time piping icing (its a consistency thing). Anyways, your delicious icing piped beautifully!

Thank you oodles!! <3

naila — February 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

hi GLORY , I want to try ur cream cheese frosting as i want to create the exact swirls like uv made. could u please tell me the brand of cream cheese u r using . is it philiadelphia? is it the spreadable version or the original one available as a block in a silver foil. coz i made a cream cheese frosting b4 but it wasnt as stiff. it turned out into a pasty texture. thanx a lot.

this is the recipe i used:

nina — April 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

hi i am nina from wechooseorganic.com and I was wondering, is it normal that this frosting is not drying at all? Even the next day it is still "wet". A Buttercream frosting for example did dry when i tried it out.
    did i do something wrong or is it supposed to stay wet?
    many greetings

p.s. if you'd like to post a guest post on our community organic/recipe blog, let us know :)

Glory/ Glorious Treats — April 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Nina- I'm not quite sure why your frosting would not get a bit of a crust to it… as mine always does. I might suggest adding less liquid, or putting the frosted cupcakes in the fridge for just 15 minutes or so, and the frosting should set up.

Anonymous — June 19, 2011 at 6:48 am

Hi Glory !! I just found out your blog and is really wonderful!!

So I decided to start doing some of your recipes and choose the chocolate cupcakes, they are amazing!! Loved them …

But I have a question regarding the frosting, hope you can help … I did it and the taste was as if I was eating the powdered sugar only … I followed the instructions and think did not missed anything .. do you know what could be my error? the mixer?? I dont know … :(

Thanks for sharing all this .. :)

Keene in the Kitchen — June 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Hi Glory! Thanks for sharing this info. I made a red velvet cake, and I'm hoping this frosting will work so I can pipe the roses on it like Amanda from i am baker's rose cake. We shall see. It was pretty gloppy. I have it setting up in the fridge now. Hope it will work. It is for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. :-)

Anonymous — August 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

can a hand mixer handle this recipe??? i don't have a fancy counter top mixer… and i heard that these recipes (and the royal icing one) can be hell on a hand mixer …

Anonymous — August 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi! I would like to know if this recipe can be use on outdoor parties during hot summer temperatures?

Melissa H. — August 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

My daughter and I made this recipe tonight. It's really good. We only used 3 c. powdered sugar because we didn't want it to be "too" sweet. That left us with a little more cream cheesey flavor! We decided next time we might use 3/4 block cream cheese. We used 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream.
    We had enough frosting for 18 cupcakes, with plenty left over that would probably cover 24.
    We also used a hand mixer, and while it was really bogging down a time or two, we were able to work through it by lifting the rotors out of the mix until all the frosting was flung out and then reworking it.
    Good recipe- thanks! =)

Rachel — August 10, 2011 at 1:07 am

hmm… I just made this recipe and it's VERY sloppy (didn't use any liquid). I used lite cream cheese… was that a fatal error that can't be fixed…..?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

@Rachel- Reduced fat products often have extra water added, so that may be an issue. The only other issue could be that your butter (and cream cheese) were too warm, (they should be cool or cold). After mixing the frosting, put the whole bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes or so, and it should firm up.

Lorie — September 29, 2011 at 8:03 am

Hi Glory,
    Can you tell me how I can stabilize the cream cheese frosting? I'll be using your chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe to frost cupcakes that I will be donating for a bake sale at work. I just want to make sure that the frosting will not melt. Thanks in advance.
    Lorie

Amy K. Cakes — October 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Thank you so much for posting your recipes! I used the chocolate cream cheese icing this week and it was loved by everyone who tried it. I look forward to each of your creative and informative posts.
    Thank you!!!

Emily — October 24, 2011 at 8:49 am

Hi Glory,
    I was planning on making your cupcakes in a jar…with your cream cheese frosting. I want the frosting to be orange, when should I put in the orange food coloring? Thanks so much!

Ericka — November 15, 2011 at 6:48 am

Would this frosting hold up in warm weather?

Wonderwoman — December 22, 2011 at 6:37 am

Hi Glory, do you sift the powdered sugar whenever you make frosting? Also, if I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese frosting, would that make a difference? I'm planning to make your frosting recipe this weekend for Christmas party. Thanks!

sadface — January 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Hi Glory :)
    I just made this frosting, but it separated very badly as soon as I finished beating it. I didn't add much cream, as recommended, and I refrigerated it to stiffen it up, but it was still separated. I added some icing sugar but tht didn't help either. It wasn't hot in the kitchen, and I followed the instructions to the letter. Has anyone else had this issue? Do you have any advice? Thanks :)

Anonymous — January 17, 2012 at 10:41 am

I am SO excited to have found your blog! I feel like I have 5,000 new like-minded friends! I LOVE baking, frosting, and pretty treats! I found you looking for the perfect cupcake recipe, and can't wait to try it!!!Thank you!
    Busykeeperathome

Monica Ward — January 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I've made traditional cream cheese frosting many times and it is great. I made your version in chocolate and it was heavenly!! I only had whole milk on hand, can only imagine how good it is with whipping cream. Thanks for sharing.

lucy — January 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hi, I'm Lucy from Hawaii. I just made a batch of the cc frosting but it is too soft that I don't even need to add any milk. I put the frosting on the cupcake with a round tip, the frosting just cannot hold. I tired again after put the frosting into the fridge for 20 mins and put some more sugar, but the result is the same. I used Philadephia cream cheese and Challenge unsalted butter and about 200g of confectioner's sugar. Did I miss something here? How can I make it firm?? Thanks.

Rachel J — February 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I just stumbled onto this blog and I'm so grateful I did!! This vanilla frosting is the ABSOLUTE BEST frosting I've ever had! I only have a hand mixer, and found that the frosting kept climbing up the beaters (I think it was getting too thick), so I had to alternate whole milk and powdered sugar. I haven't piped with it yet but it looks like it is going to be great to work with :). Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous — February 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I used this recipe for my son's birthday yesterday and everyone was wild over the frosting. I did it in a Food Processir because I didn't think the mixer could handle the cream cheese. Two thumbs up! Now I need a good place to learn how to decorate. Any ideas?

Anonymous — February 15, 2012 at 4:14 am

I also have been hunting for a great chocolate sponge recipe so tired this the other night in aid of valentine's day. Was so happy with the results. It was rich and has great substance to it..will defs be passing it on to friends :)

Kae Lucchini — February 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Kae Lucchini — February 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm

This recipe is exactly like the icing recipe I use. It's also great on top of cinnamon rolls. Thank you for the tip about the preserves! Neat idea, I can't wait to try it!

John — March 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm

If I don't have preserves, can I use jam instead? And if I use jam, should I put less sugar? Thank you.

Anonymous — March 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Can this frosting be frozen like buttercream?

Anonymous — March 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for this recipe so simple and so delicious. Greetings from the vicinity of Bilbao in the Basque Country, Spain

Lisa — March 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I just made this recipe and it turned out perfect. Thank you for sharing. Love your blog.

Sheena — March 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This recipe is perfect! I substituted the vanilla with a key lime oil and it turned out amazing!

Anonymous — March 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for the great recipe. Just wondering, could I add some meringue powder to "hold" the cream cheese just as how it helps buttercream get crusted?

mesin fotocopy — April 9, 2012 at 1:25 am

Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and I take pleasure in learning about this topic. If possible, as you gain information, please add to this blog with new information. I have found it extremely useful.
    parfum | jakarta hotel | rumah dijual | perlengkapan bayi | properti semarang | party organizer | rental forklift

Anonymous — April 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi there,

I love your blog and I was really hoping that this frosting recipe would work for me as well as it seems to have worked for everyone else but unfortunately no matter how many times I've tried it, it's turned out runny and simply too sweet. I use Philadelphia cream cheese, I'm as precise as can be with the quantities, I keep the cream cheese and the butter cool….I can't imagine what I could have possibly done wrong. The only remedy for runny frosting that the internet seems to have is to add more sugar, but 4 cups of sugar is already too sweet as it is. I really hope that you might have some advice for me. I'd appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Anonymous — May 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi Glory, i just started following your blog, and i love it! You are really talented. I was just wondering, do you think i could substitute the heavy cream with coconut milk?

Love your blog,
    u.t.

SharonG — May 10, 2012 at 4:21 am

So sorry very beginner here what is powdered confectioners sugar (is that icing sugar?)and all purpose flour? (is that a plain flour?) Thanks so muc I want to do these for Mothers Day.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — May 11, 2012 at 9:34 pm

@Sharon G- In the U.S. it's labeled Powdered sugar, or confectioners sugar, its white sugar ground to a fine powder. I think it may be called icing sugar in other countries?

Anonymous — May 15, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi glory just wanted to let u know that your blog is amazing and I have never read a blog that is so detailed in answers and recipes !! It's a credit to you! :-)

mrs. andrew timothy smith — May 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

this has to be the best frosting i have ever tasted!! my family LOVES it! thank you for giving me a sweet way to make my family smile!!

-bri'anna from seattle

Anonymous — May 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Have just made 50 of your chocolate cupcakes for christening party, half iced with vanilla, half iced with chocolate cream cheese frosting. It' s my first time making/frosting cupcakes and they turned out great! Thank you for the recipes and such detailed instructions and tips, I could not have done it without you! Some notes for other UK bakers and 1st timers, 1 stick butter = 113g. 4 cups icing sugar looks way too much but stick with it! It is hard/messy to use electric hand mixer but it can be done, beat by hand a little first to stop covering kitchen in icing sugar! Lastly, don't overfill your icing bag or it will ooze out of the top :-)

Anonymous — May 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hi there,
    I LOVE your site. I was just wondering approximately how many cupcakes can this recipe frost. Sorry if someone already asked this.

Anonymous — May 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Just wanted to say how much I love your site. Your chocolate cupcakes & chocolate frosting is sensational!!!! The cupcakes last for days too without drying out or going stale. I also doubled the recipe & made birthday cakes for my children last month!! What a winner they were! Thanks again for your wonderful site & for sharing your fantastic recipes!!! Happy Baking!

Jen from Sydney, Australia

Chin Sink — May 27, 2012 at 2:49 am

Nice content, I trust this is a nice blog. Wish to see fresh content next time. Thanks for sharing this post with us. Keep it up.spice incense

Jen — May 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

Okay, I've used this recipe three times now in two weeks and it's getting RAVES. I've done the vanilla and the chocolate, and today I made strawberry cupcakes and just replaced the vanilla with a packet of pink lemonade Kool-Aid and it's AWESOME.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

Anonymous — May 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm

After reading through the comments I'd like to offer a suggestion to the people with runny frosting. If you beat it for too long and on too high of a setting it may cause the frosting to break-down. I plan on trying this recipe for the first time this weekend, as I'm tired of the same old Wilton buttercream. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Anonymous — June 2, 2012 at 5:21 am

I just finished icing your vanilla cupcakes with this frosting. The icing looked so good I couldn't choose and used all three flavors- so pretty! The cupcakes turned out great- they didn't look as perfect as yours but the consistency is great- moist, chewy and very light. The icing is AMAZING! I will never make traditional buttercream again. It tastes divine and pipes very nicely. Just make sure you watch the liquid. I used about half of the milk for vanilla, none for the strawberry and a tiny bit for the chocolate. The vanilla was a perfect piping consistency but the chocolate and strawberry needed to be remixed with a little more milk. I didn't mind that since it is much easier to thin out than bulk up an icing. Thanks for the great recipes- they are going to be the hit of my daughter's ballet recital party today.

Anonymous — June 2, 2012 at 5:23 am

I just posted about your cupcakes. I'm the one with the ballet recital party today. One thing I changed is instead of adding vanilla to the vanilla frosting, I used a bean. It looks so pretty with the little flecks in. That is all. Thank you!

Angel — June 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Best vanilla frosting ever! Just made the vanilla cupcakes and frosted them… I never got past the frosting ;) LOVE IT!

Carey Pace — June 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I adore cream cheese frosting! I’m excited to try your recipe. But I’m very curious about using cool butter and cream cheese! I thought leaving them out at room temperature was what allowed for a smooth consistency. How will I avoid little chunks of cream cheese?? Thanks for any advice! I’ve got a bunch of cupcakes to make on Saturday!

• Glory replied: — June 21st, 2012 @ 3:09 am

Using cold butter and cream cheese helps keep the frosting nice an firm, so it will hold it’s shape when being piped on cupcakes. Although, this only works well if you have a large, electic mixer (Kitchen Aid type). As the recipe describes, if you fully beat the butter, then fully beat the cream cheese before adding the sugar, you frosting should be perfectly smooth. If you do not have a large electic mixer, then the butter and cream cheese will likely have to be room temperatue for you to be able to cream them.

Virginie — June 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi Glory
    I have been using this recipe for over a year and everyone loves it ! They keep asking me for the recipe and I send them to your website every time.
    However they keep complaining about the cups measurements because here in the UK we use grams… So I have decided to publish your recipe (giving you full credit) on my blog in grams…
    thank you so much for sharing.

Jeanne — June 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hi! I tried to make this cream cheese frosting, but it wasn’t firm enough for piping. When I used it, it was way too soft! What can I have done wrong? I followed the recipe carefully. ): Thanks for your help and for having such a beautiful blog! ^^

• Glory replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

If the frosting is not holding it’s shape…. either the butter and cream cheese were too warm, or two much liquid (milk or cream) was added (for the temperature). If the frosting it not firm enough, place the whole bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and it should firm up quite a bit. Additionally, you could add a bit more powdered sugar.

Jenna — July 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I’m totally with you on LOVING cream cheese frosting. I feel like I always add some amount of cream cheese to every frosting I come up with. However I have so much trouble figuring out a fool-proof way to keep it thick enough for piping. I live in Texas and it’s hot and humid (almost all year round) – obviously I’m not baking outside but you can never escape it (especially during the summer). Could the climate have anything to do with my frosting troubles? I’ve tried adding shortening, more powdered sugar, more butter, cold ingredients, less liquid…. the list goes on. Any suggestions for a sure fire way to firm up without compromising taste?

• Glory replied: — July 12th, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

It all comes down to the amount of liquid, and the temperature of the ingredients. You may just always have to plan to put the finished frosting in the fridge for an hour or so after you make it, before you can use it.

Kathy — July 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Made this wonderful recipe and they turned out just like the picture. I even found the cupcake papers at Hobby Lobby. I had no difficulty with the frosting as written . Used cold, right out of the refrigerator , cream cheese. Gently beat butter and cream cheese. Used a food processor to turn Oreos into “dirt”. Very nice. Glad I found this site! Nicely detailed, great ideas :D

Sherry — July 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I made your frosting recipes, yesterday, for my seven-year old daughter’s birthday party–it was fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing!

Charita — August 9, 2012 at 2:38 am

Do you have to refrigerate the cupcakes after using the cream cheese frosting?

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

As long as you home is not too warm, I would leave the frosted cupcakes (loosly covered) out at room temperature 1-2 days. Sugar acts as a preservative, and the frosting will form a slight crust and be perfectly delicious! =)

Jackie — August 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I just found your website and I love it!! I am trying your vanilla cupcakes and this frosting but today. My issue with cream cheese frosting is that the cream cheese sometimes doesn’t break up evenly and I find little chunks of it in my frosting. Also should I use the paddle or whisk attachment?

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Jackie, Make sure to beat the butter fullly first, then add the cream cheese and beat it until fully smooth before adding other ingredients. I usually use the whisk attachement for any frosting.
      Happy Baking!

vaishnavi — August 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I absolutely love love love your blog:)…great tutorials and superb recipes:)..just wanted to check what the shelf life of cream cheese frosting was?

• Glory replied: — August 23rd, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

If you are not going to frost the cupcakes right away, I would put the frosting in the fridge, then bring back up to room temperature before frosting. Once frosted on cupcakes, the cupcakes will be fine at room temperature 1-2 days.

Maggie Shirley — September 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hello! I am making 48 cupcakes Thursday that will need to be frosted Friday. I will be I’m a time crunch Friday so I was wondering if I can make the chocolate cream cheese frosting early Friday morning and store it in the fridge until I need it later that afternoon. Thank you so much for your help!

Kelly — September 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hi Glory! I love your blog…I’m just wondering, can this frosting be colored? I use Wilton’s gel colors most of the time….do you think that’s workable with this? Thanks for your advice and the great recipes :)

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Hi Kelly, Yes, feel free to add color to the frosting. I usually use Americolor gels, but Wilton would work as a second choice.
      Happy decorating!

Anna — September 24, 2012 at 3:46 am

This recipe is great, except I think it has too much sugar. I only used 2 and 2/3 cups of powdered sugar and it’s already super sweet.

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

Certainly food comes down to personal preference. Feel free to make any adjustments to your tastes =)

Wendy — September 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I tried this frosting with vanilla cupcakes, unfortunately I must have done somthing wrong, it turned out nothing like this. :( I’m thinking of possibly taking this recipe and using it as a filling in your pumpkin streusel muffins. Does it sound ok, or do you have a different idea for a filling for those muffins?

• Glory replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Wendy, One of the most common problems with any cream cheese frosting, or american buttercream type frosting is using butter and cream cheese that is warm…. they should both be cold or cool. Also, be sure to beat the butter until smooth, then the cream cheese until smooth, before adding the sugar. Feel free to try this as a filling, it is quite sweet, but feel free to experiment. If I was using this as a filling I might decrease the sugar a bit, and not add any cream (so the frosting is nice and thick).

Pam — September 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Omigosh! I made the chocolate cupcakes with the chocolate cream cheese frosting! I will never use any other frosting again! This is the best I’ve ever tried. I can’t wait to try it with other flavors (although I doubt any other flavor will top chocolate).

Thanks!!

Cath from pixelsnpieces.com — October 6, 2012 at 3:43 am

My previous attempts at cream cheese icing have been a tasty, but runny mess. Going to give this a go. I’m hoping it delivers me a frosting that pipes like buttercream but tastes more like cream cheese! Will take photos and link back your recipe if it’s a success.

SusieQ — October 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Made the basic cream cheese and it was awesome! I added one T of milk, didn’t have any cream :(, and it was perfect. It held nicely to the spice cake I was frosting. This recipe is going in m file.

sandi — October 7, 2012 at 4:37 am

what makes the icing the color in the picture? The teal/blue color. What coloring do you use? I tried to find in the recipes and comments – but did not find.

• Glory replied: — October 8th, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

The blue icing pictured with my American Buttercream recipe is from Americolor brand sky blue.
      Happy baking!

Charlotte- Marie — October 10, 2012 at 8:06 am

Hello! I was wondering – may i use this recipe for a French assignment? (With credit of course)
    We are supposed to film a tutorial of a recipe and then bring in the final result and share with everyone. I am using Martha Stewart’s One Bowl Chocolate Cake ( but a friend managed to scale the recipe down to 24 mini cupcakes) and I was curious to know if the cream cheese frosting would compliment the chocolate cupcakes- and how much would I need for just 24 MINI cupcakes……

I am currently undertaking my exams and therefore do not have time to experiment with ingredients ( or buy them * checks wallet and frowns) and make a trial batch.

I reside in Australia so our general measurements are in grams and kilograms. I would really appreciate if you would respond.

A lovely blog you have here…. I enjoy all the shabby pastel colours :D

Natalie from STL, MO — October 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I am not a buttercream fan, but decided to give this chocolate frosting a try. Wow – I am so glad I did! It’s texture is creamy and light, the flavor is amazing and so delicious! Especially when piped onto your perfectly chocolate cupcakes. I have found my go-to recipes – THANK YOU!

Annie — October 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

C’est quoi le fromage à la crème ? et (oz )c’est quelle quantité ? merci

Wanda — October 27, 2012 at 4:48 am

I tried making this, with the amount stated of each ingredient, but it is too thin, I don’t think it will pipe at all. Unfortunately, as of the moment, I don’t have enough confectionery sugar to thicken it up. Tastes delicious though,

• Glory replied: — October 27th, 2012 @ 5:29 am

How much cream did you add? Were your butter and cream cheese cold to start? I have made this recipes hundreds of times, and almost every cupcake on this site is topped with this icing. I would suggest putting the whole bowl of icing in the fridge 30 minutes to 1 hour and it should firm up quite a bit.
      Happy frosting!

Wanda — October 27, 2012 at 6:28 am

I just commented a few minutes ago, I tried adding more powdered sugar, that I was saving for my chocolate frosting, and it is still runny. The recipe called for 1-4 tablespoons cream, and I only used 1. Maybe my refrigerator is set too warm, because I used the butter and cream cheese directly from the fridge. I followed everything, and it just doesn’t work. Chilling the frosting doesn’t help, because it just warms back up. It won’t hold up shape for piping at all. I guess I’m just going to have to spread it on the cupcakes flat. Disappointing though, because they were for my daughter’s b-day party, and I spent a lot of money for different cupcake liners, sprinkles, etc. I’m not sure what I did wrong.

Wanda — October 27, 2012 at 6:35 am

I’m wondering if maybe mixing too long has something to do with it becoming too thin?

canada goose — November 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job!

Niki — November 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hi! Just finished my first attempt with your chocolate cupcakes and with the vanilla cream cheese frosting! The cupcakes were from heaven ! However had some issues with the frosting it was too runny… I put it in the fridge for like 10 min and added the confectionary sugar…. But no result! I will try again in the next few days because. I want to prepare the cupcakes as a christmas present and will have to master it! By the way i adore your blog and on Friday i have my anniversary with my husband and will do the banana caramel dessert! Will keep you posted! Best! N.

Richelle — November 27, 2012 at 12:21 am

A Annie: Pardon moi, ma français n’est pas parfait!! (I am english)
    Le quantité (oz) c’est 1 cup dans Canada, ou 1/2 Lb. Au magasin , tu peu trouve le fromage a la crème dans un paquet par Philadelphia. Il y a du fromage qui n’as pas du gras, et c’est très bonne.

Fromage a la creme ajoute un crémeux gouter dans le revêtement.

Cindy Johnson — December 12, 2012 at 2:36 am

What kind of tip do you use to ice these cupcakes?

Sarah — December 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

It always makes me feel like a big Dodo, but I have to ask: when you say butter, do you mean salted or unsalted? :-)

Chai Ling — December 13, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hi! love your cream cheese frosting recipe.. I have tried the chocolate and vanilla flavours and everybody loved it.

Thanks for sharing!

Proscilla — January 2, 2013 at 11:43 am

Hi,

I tried this recipe and except for the sugar, everything else was measured. I added just about 2 cups of sugar worrying that it might be just too sweet. Everything seemed ok till I added the 3rd spoon of heaving cream to the mix…and when i stopped blending it looked curdled to me. Upon adding the color and blending some more it looked like the cream split. I use an elctric mixer with a whisk attachment. What could have been the issue here?

Was it because the heavy cream was at room temperature? I use dairy-free heavy/whipping cream. Please suggest.

brooke — January 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Hi! i am in the process right now of making your cupcakes and frosting but i only have stick margarine…i was wondering if that was okay to use instead of butter of any other options such as oil? Thanks!

Cory — January 4, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Glory, I can’t wait to try this frosting! I always have issues with my cream cheese frosting… it is always too soft and runny… My question is, which beater do you use, the globe beater or the flat beater? Thank you!

Anne Marie — January 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I made this frosting last night and it is amazing. I didn’t add any of the cream because I wanted to make sure it piped well. It exceeded all of my expectations!! Thanks so much!

Inga — January 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Made the American Buttercream frosting and it was so good. My husband asked if we had anything besides cupcakes he could spread it on…It won him over for sure. This will be my go-to recipe now, and today I will try the cream cheese version! Thanks so much for posting these great recipes for the rest of us to enjoy!

Annie B — February 9, 2013 at 1:42 am

Thank you for the great recipes. I just made the cream cheese frosting and it is delicious!

Laura — February 11, 2013 at 12:13 am

I attempted this frosting last night and it just didn’t work (wouldn’t fluff up, butter was lumpy and it eventually split). After searching Google for some trouble shooting tips I discovered that cream cheese frosting will not fluff up if you use the lite/low fat cream cheese – it must be full fat. I didn’t know this so it’s worth noting for anyone who intends to make this in future.

Siobhan — March 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! This is the best frosting I have ever tasted! I used 3 cups of powdered sugar and it was delicious!

Suzie — March 14, 2013 at 7:40 am

if for other flavours, such as choc, to exclude the vanilla extract right? or is still include it?

Amanda — March 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Glory, I just have to tell you that your frosting recipes have become my go-to. When I first found your blog last year, I think I might’ve commented on your FB page to say so, but I just wanted to tell you again. These are so simple and wonderful. I use them for just about every cake/cupcake, or at least as a base recipe for other flavors. I just made a chocolate cake today and used this chocolate cream cheese recipe – AMAZING. And all we’ve done so far is lick the beaters! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ananta Seth — March 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Can the Cream cheese be substituted or made at home?

Steph — April 14, 2013 at 2:23 am

This looks yummy! I want to make some cupcakes for my niece’s birthday party, and I was wondering if i could add coloring? Would it affect the consistency? Thanks for posting!

jerent — April 17, 2013 at 3:41 am

ooh noo! I can’t wait to go home and try it hmmm yummyyyy

Kylie — April 20, 2013 at 2:55 am

I am defiantly a novice when it comes to making cupcakes.. your vanilla cupcake recipe was the easiest and tastiest by far, using oil worked a treat.
    I am having difficulty with making any frosting though, not sure what i do that makes the mixture to runny to pipe.
    I tried your vanilla cream cheese frosting which tasted amazing though i couldn’t pipe as a nice fluffy frost on top of the cupcake as it was to runny and i had heaps left over.. could you give me some additional hints as I thought i followed the recipe very closely. did i mix for to long the butter? or put to much cream cheese in that may have made it runny? I used a electric hand held mixer so maybe that was the problem?
    What do you think?

Jessica r — April 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi! Thank you for the recipe. My question is, will this frosting be stiff enough to make rosettes on the sides of a cake? Thanks

Jessica — May 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I wondered if anyone knows how many mini cup cakes this recipe will frost? I am making about 200 and trying to figure out how many batches of frosting I am going to need.

Kym — May 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I found this frosting to be way too runny. I only put in a tiny bit of cream, but there was NO WAY I could pipe it. I used it as a crumb layer on the cake I am frosting, then popped it in the freezer till I need it next week. I am hoping that the freezing process will firm it up. I refrigerated the remaining frosting, but have little hope, won;t it just get runny again if I trot the cake and leave it out for a couple of hours?

Patricia — June 2, 2013 at 4:30 pm

OH MY! I didn’t have any cream cheese available but I had some Mascarpone cheese for a tiramisu I was planning on making next weekend, so I used that instead. Can I just say that your recipe is SO light and fluffy that I just wanted to sit there and eat the bowl of frosting. I despise store-bought frosting and don’t like frosting that uses shortening and leaves an after-taste. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Patricia — June 2, 2013 at 5:32 pm

By the way, I read some of the issues that some of the other fans had run into and thought I’d mention a few things about my experience: … I did not have to add ANY cream to mine. Also, if you have chunks of butter, you did not mix it long enough. It should be smooth like frosting itself before you move on to the next step. If it starts to separate, put it in the fridge, when you remix it, make sure you keep at it until it stiffens up again. I add a teaspoon of cake flour and mix mix mix. Unlike cake mix, frosting is ok to keep on mixing. I steamed some blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, blended them, put them in the freezer to cool and then added a couple of tablespoons of it to my frosting and … I have a light lavender colored berry flavored LIGHT frosting that I piped onto my fluffy cupcakes!

lulu — June 18, 2013 at 11:26 pm

hi, what do you mean by heavy cream? do you mean extra thick double cream?
    here in the uk we have single cream, double cream, soured cream, extra thick double cream and whipping cream….
    single and double cream both have the consistency of water so i dont think its either of those you mean.
    think when you say heavy cream you mean extra thick double cream???

please help!

• Glory replied: — June 19th, 2013 @ 2:52 am

Hi Lulu, Because I live in the U.S., I am only familiar with the terms we use here. For this recipe anything from whole milk to cream will work fine, as you are only using a small amount. The purpose of the cream in this recipe is only to add a bit of richness and also to thin the frosting enough to make it creamy and easy to work with.
      Heavy Whipping Cream (as it is called here) has a fat content of 35-38%, and has an slightly thicker consistency than milk, but is still very liquid.

lulu — June 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

hi sorry people online are saying that heavy cream is double cream not extra thick double cream like i thought…. is this right? does the cream you use have a consistency like water? is it double cream?

louise — June 18, 2013 at 11:34 pm

lol think i ll just try it with double cream and see what happens!

also did you use liquid food colours for this frosting? or gel food colours? does it matter?

thanks

Kris (So Cute Cookies) — July 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

This icing recipe is my go to icing recipe of all time… Have been using since you first posted it. Today I added fresh blueberries that I cooked down and pureed for a blueberry cream cheese and filled macarons with it… YUM! Just wanted you to know how much I love this icing… Thanks for always sharing everything that you do. I look forward to your book coming out.. Kris

Tanye — July 18, 2013 at 4:17 am

Hello, can you please give me a recipe for vanilla cupcakes also cinnamon rolls. Thxs

sandra — July 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

hiya, I am very interested in preparing this frosting on your recipe of the vanilla cupcakes (made simple buttercream before) but am a bit hesitant due to the comments about the consistency of the icing. may I ask what brand of cream cheese you used, full fat? etc. i am from the uk and we do have philadelphia or mascarpone for cream cheese brands. thanks in advance……….

Aarthi — July 25, 2013 at 6:36 am

Thank you so much for the recipe! I tried it a couple of times, and both times the frosting looked grainy. What am I doing wrong? Please advice.

cloud1014 — July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I had a problem with the frosting being too runny. I added only 1 tsp of cream. Not sure what happened.

Jananee — August 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I made both the vanilla and the chocolate variations but I must say the chocolate frosting is to die for!

Dallas T — August 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Wow. Just wow. This icing is divine! So easy to make and soooo delicious. Thank you so much for sharing!

Dallas T — August 21, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I forgot to add – I made the chocolate cupcakes and paired it with the chocolate cream cheese icing and it is literally the best cupcake I’ve ever eaten!

teri — August 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hi… Love your cupcakes! Can I ask if the Cream Cheese Frosting be colored and used to decorate a cake with the petal design. Will it hold up?

• Glory replied: — August 24th, 2013 @ 4:09 am

Yes, I color this frosting quite often. I use Americolor gel colors. This icing will hold up to being piped into a loose petal design, but would not likely work well for a large structured rose. As you work with the icing it will become softer, due to the heat from your hand, so you may need to put the icing (in the piping bag, with the tip covered with a moist towel) in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, or as needed.

Caroline — August 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

The recipe says to “use immediately” and I’m just wondering what that means exactly? If I frost the cupcakes today then store the cupcakes in the fridge overnight is that ok?
    or am I supposed to frost them right before serving?

Destiny — September 6, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hello,

I would like to know if you think the recipe will hold up in the heat and if it’s safe to stay out during a birthday party? I am having problems find a cheese recipe that doesn’t melt right away. I am baking a cake for my nephew and the room inside will get hot from all the people in the small room.

Pleas adivse ASAP if possibly.

Thank you!

Sue Ess — October 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Should the powdered sugar be sifted before adding to the frosting? Thanks! I am looking forward to making this for baby shower cupcakes!

Yayapalomo — October 17, 2013 at 2:02 am

Hi what if I do the cream cheese frosting and I frost the cupcakes overnight..well it be ok to leave out till the party?.

Natalie — November 3, 2013 at 2:23 am

This is the best chocolate frosting I have ever made and it’s absolutely beautiful piped. I made 50 cupcakes for a party and everyone loved them and asked about the frosting. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!

Maya — November 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Just made the chocolate cupcakes with the strawberry buttercream frosting for my friend’s baby shower! They turned out amazing (I had to taste-test of course). Thanks for the recipe!!!
    Oh, and FYI for others, I did not use any heavy cream at all. The consistency is just right for piping the frosting, definitely not runny. Just keep it cold and don’t over-mix!!

Georgie — November 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Hi Glory, just wondering with the cream cheese vanilla frosting can I add food colouring to the mixture after I have beat all the ingredients? I know sometimes I have added liquid food colouring after and has made the mixture curdle?

Thanks

debs — January 17, 2014 at 1:18 am

hi gloria.. what cream can i use aside from heavy cream? can i use a regular cream? thanks

Charlotte — February 28, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Hi, was wondering is the butter used salted or unsalted.

Charlotte — March 2, 2014 at 4:49 am

Hi glory, don’t know why my question keeps disappearing. Would desperately like to know if the butter used in this frosting is salted or unsalted. Thank u.

• Glory replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 2:11 am

Charlotte, I almost always use unsalted butter for any baking project. For this frosting I bet you could use salted since there is a lot of sugar to off-set it, but I have never used salted in this recipe so I can’t say what the results would be for sure.

Heena — March 21, 2014 at 3:28 am

I have tried this frosting twice and my biggest challenge is that it quickly softens. Any thoughts ? The last time I did not add any cream or milk just vanilla extract.

• Glory replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 2:13 am

I would suggest that your butter and/or cream cheese should be cold or cool at all times. This can only be accomplished with a large stand mixer. If you only have a hand beater, and therefore have to use slightly warmer ingredients for them to become smooth, then you’ll need to refrigerate the frosting for a bit before piping onto cupcakes.

Charity — April 2, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I have a 3 tiered graduation cake, and also a 3 tiered wedding cake to make. Both will be outside, elements and all. I was wondering how well this frosting stood up to heat and added decorations, and if it was just as successful on a tiered cake as it was on cupcakes? Thanks

• Glory replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 2:09 am

Hi Charity, Yes, this frosting can be used on a cake as well as cupcakes. In general I would not put a cake or cupcakes with any frosting (including this one) in an overly hot area, as the butter and/or cream cheese will cause the frosting to soften. If you have to keep the cake in a warm room, you can replace some of the butter with shortening, but I usually find a way to avoid this as I prefer not to eat or serve shortening.

Jennifer — April 5, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Great frosting!! Forgive me if you’ve already covered this, do you have to refrigerate the cupcakes once you ice them since you’re using cream cheese?

• Glory replied: — May 29th, 2014 @ 2:07 am

Hi Jennifer,
      You do not need to refrigerate the frosted cupcakes if you keep them at room temperature. The sugar in the frosting acts as a preservative. On the other hand, if your house is super warm, then you can keep them in the fridge if you prefer, but that can tend to dry out the cake.

Susie — June 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Hi Glory –

You are such a creative lady. I love your blog. I really want to try the American Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting. I can’t imagine what the calorie count is, but will try anyway. Thank you so much for making it available to us.

Catherine — July 25, 2014 at 2:49 pm

What can I use if Challenge butter is not sold in my country ?

Sue — July 27, 2014 at 1:08 am

Do you have any suggestions for how to teach two school-age (6 and 8) boys how to decorate cupcakes with the swirl on top. I can show them how, but I was hoping to turn this task over to them at a party and I am concerned about frosting oozing out of the top of a bag. Do yo think an 8-oz icing bottle with a Wilton 1A tip work?

1. Pingback: Raspberry Vanilla Cupcakes » Delicious Recipe Online

2. Pingback: Glorious Treats » {Recipe} Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes

3. Pingback: De regreso! Cupcakes de chocolate y glaseado de queso con fresas «

4. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Sweet Baby Cupcakes (with easy fondant toppers)

5. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Snowflake Cupcakes

6. Pingback: {Party Feature} Dinosaur Themed First Birthday

7. Pingback: Not Quite Pinterest Cupcakes | Adventures of a Subversive Reader (and Baby Squirm)

8. Pingback: Moro Gold Max Caramel Cupcakes « On to the plate

9. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Gingerbread House Decorating Party

10. Pingback: Young Cake Decorator : Dream A Lil Dream

11. Pingback: Planning a Baby Shower and Other Kinds of Madness « Yaya's Cafe

12. Pingback: She’s one! and Funfetti cupcakes with cream cheese frosting « theBitterSideofSweet

13. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Chocolate Valentine’s Heart Cupcakes

14. Pingback: Tiffany Blue Chocolate Cupcakes

15. Pingback: The Hostess Hat: Cupcake Swirls | Many Hats of a Mom

16. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Rainbow Art Birthday Party

17. Pingback: Treats: Funfetti Cupcakes + New Go-To Cupcake Recipe | pearls & coffeepearls & coffee

18. Pingback: Finding Nemo Cupcakes

19. Pingback: Pins of the Week | Katy Mears Photography | South Dakota Wedding Photographer

20. Pingback: Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes | Jeans and Cupcakes

21. Pingback: Graduation Cupcakes {and How To Make Fondant Graduation Caps} » Glorious Treats

22. Pingback: 4th of July Flag Cake » Glorious Treats

23. Pingback: Strawberry love cake - Minh Cakes Zürich

24. Pingback: cream cheese frosting | nutmeg.

25. Pingback: Sam’s Birthday Party | Pamcakes and Eggs