As we head into the weekend, I imagine many of you are thinking of fun 4th of July celebrations for next week!
This cute and delicious Apple Pie in a Jar just might be the perfect treat to add to your picnic or BBQ menu.
These classic little pies start with a buttery pastry crust, are packed with sweet and tart cinnamon apples, and then topped with a delicious crumb topping.
These little pies in jars are perfect to pack up and take along with you to any 4th of July celebration.
If you’d like, you could certainly use this same recipe to make one large pie (I have in the past and it’s always a hit).
Supplies and Assembly
6, 1/2 pint wide mouth canning jars (usually available from Wal-Mart, or your local grocery store)
1- Pastry pie crust (1 sheet, or recipe for 1 crust)
Assembly (as pictured above)-
1. Thaw the pie crust (if using frozen), or prepare pie crust. Please note, frozen pie crust sheets usually need to thaw several hours.
2. Use the ring from the lid of the jars to cut 6 circles of dough. Place one circle of dough into the bottom of each jar and use your fingers to press the dough into the bottom of the jar and up the sides a bit.
3. Fill jars with cinnamon apple pie filling (following recipe below). Pack the apples in as tight as you can. The apples will shrink down a lot during baking.
4. Top cinnamon apples with 2-3 tablespoons crumb topping, pressing down a bit, as needed.
5. Bake as directed in the recipe below.
*Note, you may notice I have 7 jars shown in the how-to photos above, but I found the apples shrunk down so much in baking that packing the apples into 6 jars produced a prettier final pie. The images shown in this post of the finished pies were from a batch that was divided into 6 jars.
How to Make Apple Pie in a Jar
Apple Pie in a Jar
- 1 sheet prepared pie crust dough available in the freezer section of the grocery store, or one recipe pastry pie crust
- 4 large tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled and chopped (about 5 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated if possible
- Thaw the pie crust (if using frozen), or prepare pie crust. Please note, frozen pie crust sheets usually need to thaw several hours.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Use the ring from the lid of the jars to cut 6 circles of dough. Place one circle of dough into the bottom of each jar and use your fingers to press the dough into the bottom of the jar and up the sides a bit.
- Peel and chop apples and place in a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice and toss to coat well.
- Add both sugars, flour and spices and stir to fully coat apples.
- Scoop apples into the prepared jars, pressing the apples in as tightly as possible. Divide the apples between the 6 jars.
- Prepare the crumb topping by combining all ingredients and mixing together with a pastry blender, or fork until the butter is in small pieces and the mixture is crumbly, yet well combined.
- Top each jar of apples with a generous portion of crumb topping, pressing down a bit as needed. The apples will cook down quite a bit while baking, so you want to start with full jars.
- Bake the jars on a large baking sheet (because the pies will likely bubble over a bit while baking). Bake 35 minutes at 375*F.
- Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve as is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.