Rainbow Art Birthday Party

Last month we celebrated my “baby” Joy’s 6th birthday.  How does this happen… the little (well, if 9 lbs is little) baby we brought home from the hospital not too long ago is now 6!  Joy has always been the perfect name for this fun, rambunctious, confident little girl.  She dives into life head first…and has a few stitches to prove it!

We celebrated Joy’s birthday with a colorful Arts & Crafts Birthday Party.  I chose this theme partly because I knew we’d be inviting both boys and girls, and wanted something fun and interactive that everyone would enjoy.

It was a beautiful sunny day, and everyone seemed to have a really great time!

Please enjoy Joy’s Rainbow Art Birthday Party…

I designed the party invitations to fit inside a standard watercolor paint set.  Since I knew we’d be hand delivering the invitations, it was a special way to give the guests an idea of the fun we’d be having.  I bought the watercolor sets (Wal-Mart is the cheapest place I found), then removed the cardboard Crayola label inside and used that as a template for the invitation.  I designed the invitation so that I could fold it in half and the image on one side would show through the box (the “You’re invited… ” part), and the other side (which would be inside the paint box) would include the party details.  I added some pretty ribbon and a little name tag for each guest.

As I was planning the dessert/snack table, I made a set of 3 rainbow crayon art canvases to act as the backdrop, and pull in the whole theme.  I have a full post with the details of the Rainbow Crayon Art Canvases)

Along the back of the table, I lined up a row of bud vases with bright gerbera daisies.

Snacks included…

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting, baked in grease-proof polka dot baking cups (called ”Color Cups” from Wilton).

Fresh Fruit & Pretzels (in polka dot baking/snack cups)

Decorated Sugar Cookies (here’s my Sugar Cookie Recipe)

I had fun making simple, yet colorful crayon shaped cookies, and added a special personalized cookie to the tray as well.  The personalized cookie was hand-painted, in the same way I recently made some hand-painted Valentine’s cookies.

Simple snacks of fresh fruit (above) and pretzels (below) were served in colorful polka dot baking/treat cups (available from TomKat Studio, Shop Sweet Lulu, and Sweet Estelle’s Baking Supply)

I planned two main crafts for the kids to complete during the party.  In addition, I covered the entire party table with white paper (from the teacher supply store) and allowed the kids to draw all over the table.  The kids were able to color on the table while we waited for all the guests to arrive.  I had jars of crayons and colored pencils (as well as paintbrushes for our other craft) all along the table.

The first craft was a personalized mosaic canvas, which included the initial of each child’s name.  Each guest chose the color they’d like to paint the letter, and got to work…

The final craft included the painted initial, on top a mosaic covered canvas.  I have a full post on how to make the Personalized Mosaic Canvases.

The second party project was for each guest to color their own “cookie canvas” (inspired by The Decorated Cookie).  I baked and iced (with royal icing) large cookies in a couple different shapes.  I prepared the cookies (and added the frame) just as I did for the Valentine’s cookies I posted HERE.  Be sure to allow at least one full day (or more) for the icing to dry before the kids are going to color them.  I provided the guests with food color markers, and they had fun being creative!

Certainly, the crafts the children created during the party would have been adequate favors, but before I had even settled on the party crafts I had already prepared these cute favor pails…

Small paint can pails (available from Oriental Tradding Company, or Michael’s) were filled with mini colored pencils, bubbles in a crayon shaped container, an erasser, a rainbow lollipop (from Party City), and multi color crayon “pods” I made from broken, melted crayons.

Joy’s birthday was a fun and creative day, and we really enjoyed sharing it with friends!

All photos, food, and styling by me/Joy’s mommy/Glorious Treats.

73 Responses to “Rainbow Art Birthday Party”

Cynthia Huckins — February 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

You are such a fun Mom! Great ideas for a fun party and very cute little daughter!

Pam — February 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

What an incredible party for your little girl! The guests were equally lucky. Glory, you did a fantastic job with every little detail!

Melody Pierce — February 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

What a fabulous party for your little girl! So colorfull and fun. Beautifully done Glory!!!!

Sarah — February 18, 2013 at 12:27 am

Can I please be your adopted child??? You are such a fun mom! I would love to be like you! ;)

Lisa — February 18, 2013 at 1:45 am

Cute and pretty!!

Bellenza Bistro — February 18, 2013 at 1:52 am

So many fabulous details in this party (to start off, I’ve always loved an art theme for kids)! You pulled them all together perfectly — from the invites to the backdrop to the art activities. Great job!

The Bearfoot Baker — February 18, 2013 at 2:32 am

That is the cutest most creative and beautiful party I have ever seen!!! I can’t stop thinking about the frame cookies that lets the kids be the artists!! Brilliant!!
    You know how to throw a party!!!

Sherrill — February 18, 2013 at 5:49 am

What an awesome party for one lucky little girl! I would have LOVED one like this! Heck, I’d like one like this even now! (Some of us still haven’t quite grown all the way up! ;) Happy belated birthday, Joy!

Little Miss Ling — February 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

Beautiful as always, Glory! I don’t even have a sweet tooth, but I loves seeing your blog posts pop up on my Google Reader. Your creations are so beautiful! So beautiful that I don’t think even I could resist taking a bite out of them if I saw them! Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos with us!

Swetlana — February 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Fantastic birthday, all the best! Very colorful, interesting, since you can immediately see that the children are happy. Thanks for Insperation and many useful ideas!

Audra | The Baker Chick — February 18, 2013 at 2:35 pm

You are such a creative and sweet Mom! How beautiful is this entire party- such a lucky daughter you have :)

Thyjuan — February 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This is an amazing party planning idea! Fun, colorful and beautiful!!!

Jaime Costiglio — February 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Glory this is beautiful and truly original. We’re planning a ‘build it’ party next month for my 7 yr old girl and it’s very similar except we’re building (and painting and crafting). Thanks for the great ideas, I’m bookmarking for reference. LOVE IT.

Amy — February 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Love your art birthday party!..the colours, the crafts..any kid would have loved that..well done!

Joan — February 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Glory–your attention to detail is amazing! The love you put into your daughter’s party is evident. Thanks for sharing the details of this adorable party design.

lakshmi — February 18, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hi Glory,

Belated B’Day wishes to your cute little daughter Joy. I think you are born to throw the awesome parties. I like each and every bit of your ideas and my favorites are those 3 rainbow crayon art canvases. So colorful and inspirational. You have already made me so addictive to your website. keep up your good work.

Regards,
    Lakshmi

Whisked Away Cookies — February 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Oh, this is just the cutest!!!!! I saw the smaller pic on your FB page and had to pop over. LOVE what you came up with! So creative and just such a wonderful theme! You have so many cute ideas!

Charlotte Moore — February 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Vey nice!!!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — February 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

And you absolutely win mother of the year!! So adorable and she will remember it always!!

Ellen — February 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm

That was an awesome party! I showed it to my daughter, who is turning 6, and begged that we do the same. You are such a fun and creative mom. Thank you for the inspiration.

Maggie — February 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This is just about the cutest birthday theme I’ve seen…what a great job you did! Everything so perfectly detailed….beautiful!

Daniell — February 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm

That is a beautful party! I was wondering, Where did you get that adorable cupcake stand? I have to have it!

TSOH — February 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I’ve just featured your blog in my recent post My Favourite Blogs @ The Science of Happy.

Always a pleasure reading!

- TSOH

• Glory replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

Thanks for the feature! ~Glory

Paula — February 18, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Everything you did for your daughter’s birthday is just beautiful! So is she. What a fabulous time everyone must of had. I love the special framed *Joy’s Art Birthday* cookie and the crayon cookies. Too cute. Obviously the kids had a very enjoyable time decorating their own cookies. They must have been so proud of their work.

Charlotte Moore — February 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I am sure they had a wonderful time. I tried to leave a message this morning in a motel but it would not go through. CRAZY technology!!!

Claire Cardew — February 19, 2013 at 1:54 am

Glory, I love this!
    I’m planning a rainbow party for my daughter’s fifth birthday in July and I love what you’ve done here. I particularly love the cookie masterpiece and the letter craft, how lovely to take home a lasting memory of Joy’s party.
    I also love your party food. I tend to massively over cater but what you’ve got is perfect… I’m inspired!

Roshini — February 19, 2013 at 9:08 am

Belated Happy Birthday Joy!
    Glory, you are an incredible mother. I love every details of the party. I was just wondering, wasn’t there a B’Day cake for Joy to cut?

Ellen — February 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is one of the most beautiful party ideas I have ever seen! And so creative! Especially the cookie painting craft. My little girl would have loved that.
    This is the first time I’m writing a comment but I’ve been visiting your blog for quite a while and I love all your ideas! I can’t thank you enough for your inspiration. I’ve seen many other baking and food crafting blogs but yours is, by far, the most elegant! Congratulations!

Hala — February 19, 2013 at 11:53 am

Happy birthday to your littel angel….

Jackie Lee — February 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

AMAZING!!!! I’m going to show this post to my daughter who cannot decide what kind of party she wants!

Thanks for sharing!

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — February 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm

that is just adorable!

Lisa@hooplapalooza — February 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm

love Love LOVE this party!!! especially those cookies! no..the monogram art! no.. the canvases! no… the way you displayed the table! no…aw heck i guess i love everything! heehee

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — February 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Tiffany would go crazy if I make these for her Birthday party! Adorable!

Joy Adams — February 19, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Looks so beautiful. I am sure that Joy had a wonderful time.

Nancy P — February 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Glory, This is all just adorable, and it is so well styled and photographed! Thanks for bringing back lovely memories of when my kids were little, I used to do parties for them, with lots of planning, creativity, and fun! You are a very creative and memory-making mom!

brantcookies — February 20, 2013 at 3:54 am

I love love your painting kit invite, so clever & cute! Your daughter is absolutley beautiful! Just like your party & cookies!

Stephanie (Velez Delights) — February 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Lovely! Amazing! If I ever do have kids, I’ll definitely be having parties for them like this, even decorated like this! Just amazing!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 21, 2013 at 4:54 am

Those watercolor invites are fantastic, so creative!

Ema — February 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Love it! We can definitely see how hard you work and how much of your heart that you put into it! Great job and Great Mom!

Richa — February 22, 2013 at 6:32 am

I would be surely organizing this Rainbow Art party for my 5 year little brother.. This idea is just superb.. Thanks a lot Glory.. You are really a great person :)

Sue {munchkin munchies} — February 22, 2013 at 8:42 am

Perfect party, Glory! Love the canvasses, the cookies, and the invitation is genius…oh, and the framed cookies!

lauren — February 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

This is absolutely precious. I would have died for this to have been my party as a kid. :)

You should submit it to Apartment Therapy for their “My Party” Feature- http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ohdeedoh-my-party-submission-f-82858

Sabine Seyffert — February 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Wow, what a wonderfull party – thats really great. An the fotos are wonderfull too. Sorry, i don´t speak english very good.
    Best wishes from germany and have a nice sunday,

Sabine

Angelica — February 25, 2013 at 1:12 am

Glory, this is simply fabulous! Thank you for the beautiful tutorial. Looks like it was so much fun!

Amna — February 25, 2013 at 8:26 am

ingenious! loved every bit of it :)

Rams — February 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Glory,
    your site is a treat for eyes. Thank you so much for so many beautiful ideas.

Cecilia — February 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Wow Glory! This is so amazing! I’m sorry I haven’t been by to read your blog in a bit but I’m sure glad I did today! Great party, my favorite feature was the invitation in the paint set! Brilliant! Love you!

Carolyn Holcomb — March 1, 2013 at 12:02 am

wish you were here to help me with Naya’s birthday (3/3)…I love your ideas and am outright stealing some of them!!! Love you!

• Glory replied: — March 1st, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Oh Carolyn, I wish that too! Steal away…. what’s mine is yours! =) I hope she has a wonderful day! Love you guys! <3

Ana — March 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’m with Sarah on being your adopted kid – lol. This is truly a unique party idea and I love the party favors. No matter what gathering I have at my house there’s always favors to take home :) I also loved, loved, loved (oh did I mention LOVED) Joy’s ladybug party theme. I too am an enthusiastic ladybug fan (ladybug key chain, jewelry, email address, vanity plate, birthday cakes, flip-flops, sun hat, Swarofski collectable, ceramics, stuffed animal, thank you notes, egg timer, trinket box, Halloween costume . . . you name it and I’ve got something ladybug”ish”). I’m hosting a girls night (yes we’re girls even at 50 years of age – lol) in April and I’m thinking ladybug theme just for kicks.

Thanks – you’re newest fan – Ana

Laure des Cloizeaux — March 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Hello,

Du très grand art ! As we say in France

Many thanks for such beautiful painting and so original cakes as “Stabilo Boss” brushes. I regret to be at work from monday to friday instead of being at home enjoying myself with such very good ideas.

Kisses from the suburb of Paris

Angela — March 20, 2013 at 5:51 am

Just stumbled across your blog. WOWZA – you are so talented and inspire me.
    I’m so not the crafty mom but I enjoy others gifts and sometimes ‘try’ my hand at something new. You’ve made this party look like so much fun and relatively easy. Thank you.

Oh also, where did you purchase those lovely turquoise cake pedestals? I’m in love.

• Glory replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Hi Angela,
      I bought the cake stands off Ebay, they are by the Mosser glass company. If you search “blue cake stands” on Ebay, you will likely be able to find them from time to time.

Maggie — March 20, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hi Glory,
    I have followed your beautiful work for a while now. I was totally surprised when I recognized your previously published pictures of Joy’s Birthday on another blog. I did not see any listing of your blog”s name. Check out the following; http://anasapeka.blogspot.com/ .

• Glory replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

Hi Maggie,
      Thanks for letting me know. I just let a comment on the post, but I’m not sure if the person posting my work will be able to read my comment in english.

Kim V — March 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm

You are a very talented woman. I wish I could do this full time. Your ideas are very creative and I love checking in from time to time to “borrow” them.
    Thanks for sharing!

May — March 24, 2013 at 8:44 am

The kids are so lucky and the decorations are so pretty.

Jana — March 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

Wow, what a great and creative idea. I love what you have done with the theme. It is great when kids get the chance to be creative.

Melissa — May 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Everything is so perfect! Do you have template for the invites that you would be willing to share or sell? Thanks! melissa

• Glory replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 3:22 am

Hi Melissa,
      All I have is the exact invitations pictured. I made them by measuring the paper that comes in the watercolor box, and worked off those dimmensions (using Photoshop).

Erin — June 9, 2013 at 5:06 am

Everything on your website is so beautiful! Would you be willing to share the template for your Art Party invitation, minus your personal information, of course? If not, no worries, just thought it was brilliant and possibly beyond my technological capabilities. Thank you for the wonderful recipes, ideas, and inspiration.

Hajra — June 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Such an amazing idea thank u soooo much. Planning to do it for my son’s birthday.

Keri Roth — November 3, 2013 at 2:07 am

Wow! I was just shopping around for some ideas and found your blog. Everything looked gorgeous, and totally inspired me! The kids looked like they were having a fantastic time.

Stella — November 13, 2013 at 4:54 am

This is such a great idea, however, the candy cups are very small! I couldn’t fit more than a handful of pretzels or a few pieces of fruit and the kids ended up taking three cups each! Luckily I allowed for this after I saw how small they were. I think next time I will use pretty paper cups instead!

promity — January 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

What a FAB party!!! Definitely gonna try dis things!

Anne Marie — May 3, 2014 at 12:30 am

I just came across you blog and absolutely love this birthday idea! I especially love the personalized invitations you created. Would you be willing to share the photoshop file for me to use for my daughters 5th birthday? I completely understand if you would rather not share it. Thanks for documenting all the details, it was very helpful to read where you found items, etc.

Thanks!

• Glory replied: — May 28th, 2014 @ 3:40 am

Hi Anne, I only have the final file personalized with our party details, so I don’t think you want that. Glad you found some inspiration from our party, have a great party!

Kerry — August 16, 2014 at 4:25 pm

This is a beautiful party. Thank you for the ideas. What I really like are the containers on the table for the crayons. How did you paint the lids for the mason jars? I have tons of these and want to do this for a party. Thanks

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Personalized Mosaic Craft for Kids

2. Pingback: Glorious Treats » How To Make Melted Rainbow Crayon Art

3. Pingback: Au Pair » 25 Blogs with Ideas to Help You Throw the Perfect Rainbow Party for Your Toddler

4. Pingback: Tema de festa | Arte do Arco-Íris |