Summer Luau Cupcakes with Fondant Flowers

I know many of us are gearing up for fall, and I’m looking forward to lots of fall baking…. but I have a few more desserts to share from last weeks’ Luau party before I dive fully into fall!   So let’s relish in just a couple more bright summery treats….

For these colorful cupcakes I used my favorite Vanilla Cupcake Recipe and Chocolate Cupcake Recipe, along with my Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.

I used pretty, colorful liners from Confectionery House (I have a full post HERE on my favorite cupcake liners, and liners that keep their color after baking).

I decorated the cupcakes with the Fondant Flowers I shared how to make last week.

The large/standard sized cupcakes I frosted using a Wilton 1M tip.  I have a full post on How to Frost Cupcakes if you are new to cupcake decorating.

For the mini cupcakes, I used a large round tip (with about a 5/8″ opening) and simply held the piping tip above the center of the cupcake (about 1/2 inch from the surface of the cupcake), gave a good squeeze, then stopped squeezing and pulled straight up.  Then I added a little fondant flower on top of the frosting tip.

By preparing fondant flowers ahead of time to match the occasion, then using pretty, colorful liners, this simple style could be adapted to fit most any color scheme or occasion.

Happy Cupcake Decorating!

18 Responses to “Summer Luau Cupcakes with Fondant Flowers”

Haniela — September 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm

These are super cute . Love the colors, so happy and cheerful. Made me smile.
    Just taking a little 5 minute break from painting. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Joy Adams — September 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I love the colors of the cupcake liners and how the style of frosting differs. Very Beautiful.

La cocina de Camilni — September 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm

No sabría cual coger y comérmela con un buen vaso de leche.
    Estupendas

Brittany — September 3, 2012 at 1:57 am

These are very sweet and girly looking, I like it! Beautiful lighting in your images too.

Bellenza Bistro — September 3, 2012 at 7:09 am

Fabulous color combo! Would be lovely for any summer or spring outdoor celebration, not necessarily a luau!

Mi Vida en un Dulce — September 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Beautiful…I just ordered the flowers cut set, I’m in love on how the flowers look.

Cookies4kids — September 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I love the colors and the pretty papers, and am hoping you can help me out. We are to make 300 mini cupcakes for a handicapped children event. We have discovered that the pans we have are really mini tart pans and not mini cupcake pans. Mini cupcakes have a straight side and the bottoms are wider like those in your pictures. Would you mind telling us where we can order the “real” mini cupcake pans and also the liners that fit them properly. All the mini cupcake liners that are available in the stores are not tall enough and the bottoms are too narrow. We will be so grateful if you can help us out. Karen

• Glory replied: — September 3rd, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

The mini liners I used for the cupcakes above are from Confectionery House (as linked in the post). They are standard, (U.S. sized) mini cupcake liners. Mini cupcake pans (in the U.S.) are usually standardized as well… you should be able to buy them at any major craft store (Michael’s, Hobby Lobby) or kitchen store (such as Bed, Bath and Beyond). Mini cupcke pans and liners are quite small…. most of the time I would rather just make standard sized cupcakes, because they’re almost the same amount of work! Best of luck with your event!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — September 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Little beauties! I especially love the way the minis are frosted…like soft , little clouds:)

Lovella Bridal — September 4, 2012 at 1:48 am

So fun! Love all the colors.

The BearFoot Baker — September 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Your photos are as gorgeous as your cupcakes! Everything is beautiful!!!

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — September 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

simple but so pretty!

Paula — September 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

So pretty and so colourful. I like your mini frosted *clouds* too. What tip did you use for those? (if you don’t mind me asking)

• Glory replied: — September 4th, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Hi Paula, I used a large round tip (as I mentioned in the post), with about a 5/8″ opening (the tip I have doesn’t have any brand marking on it). Just hold the bag upright just above the surface of the cupcake, and squeeze (while holding the tip still), and the frosting will keep spreading into a larger and larger “pool”, until you stop squeezing. It works great with mini cupcakes, I haven’t tried it much with standard sized. Happy frosting! P.S. I had a reader recently asking about making large, delicate royal icing transfers and I directed her to your site =)

Cecilia Midgette — September 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm

These are so pretty and cheerful! You picked some great colors, great work Glory!
    Love you!

sahrish ali — September 6, 2012 at 3:15 am

Great work. So pretty and lovely. I love all the colors. Decoration is clean and perfect.

Cathrine M. Øyen — September 15, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Lovely decorating tips! You simply have a wonderful blog.
    Can you please tell me where you get the bright colored baking cups? They bake so well!
    Thank you!

• Glory replied: — September 18th, 2012 @ 3:04 am

Hi Catherine, The source (Confectionery House) is mentioned at the top of the post.
      Happy Baking!