Morning Glory Cookies

One of my favorite things about spring is seeing flowers in bloom everywhere I go.  Daffodils have recently bloomed in our neighborhood, and this week I spotted some tulips (one of my favorites) in a neighbor’s yard.  I have lots of buds on my lilac tree, I always look forward to those fragrant blossoms!

One of my longtime (internet) friends, Haniela, loves flowers as much as I do.  She also loves cookies… it’s no wonder we’re friends!  Haniela thought it would be a fun idea to gather all of her cookie loving friends and make a beautiful, edible flower bouquet!  Each cookie maker was assigned a flower to bring to life in cookie form!  I was given Morning Glories… any easy choice (since my name is Glory!)  I’d never seen morning glory cookies before, but looked forward to the challenge.  To me, one of the main features of morning glory flowers is the fact that they grow as a vine.  I wanted to incorporate the vine, as well as the blossoms onto a cookie.

Here are my morning glory cookies…

I’m not entirely sure these would be easy to identify without the title of this post (Morning Glory Cookies)… but I gave my best effort!  My husband wasn’t familiar with morning glories and said, “… is that what they look like, blue dots on leaves?”  Well, like I said, I did my best!  =)

~ How to Decorate Morning Glory Cookies ~

1.  Create royal icing transfers.  Pipe a nice full circle of medium consistency blue icing onto a piece of parchment paper.  Immediately add a dot of white icing, then a dot of yellow icing, in the center of the blue.  Working from the center, use a toothpick to drag the white and yellow color toward the edge of the blue dot.  Allow the transfers to dry several hours before removing from parchment.

2.  While the royal icing transfers are drying, outline and flood your cookies, and allow them to set as well.

3.  When your base icing has set (2-4 hours), use green icing to draw morning glory vines and leaves.

4.  While the leaves and vines are still wet, add your flower transfers.  Add small vine details as desired.  Allow to dry fully before eating or packaging.

Now here’s the fun bonus… the most beautiful (and delicious!) collection of flowers ever!

Each cookie below was made by a different cookie artist.  Please take some leisurely time to enjoy each post, linked below.

1. Black Eye Susan by Lisa, The Bearfoot Baker
14. Morning Glory by Glory, Glorious Treats
15. Orchid by Ali, Ali Bee’s Bake Shop
16. Pansy Nicole, Life’s A Batch
17. Poppy by Callye,  SweetSugarBelle
18. Sunflower by Bea, Cancun Cookies
19. Tulip by Lorriane, LorrainesCookies

Thanks to Haniela for dreaming up this beautiful project!

Take some time today to smell the flowers!

46 Responses to “Morning Glory Cookies”

Daphne — April 2, 2012 at 5:28 am

Oh my god, the details on the cookies are just amazing!

Tanja von ideenreich — April 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

Really amazing! This cookies are so beautiful!
    Kind regards,
    Tanja

Robin @ Bird On A Cake — April 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

Your cookies are beautiful! I especially like the ones climbing up the trellis. :0)

Sherri D. — April 2, 2012 at 6:20 am

Glory, How schmoly! These are absolutely stunning cookies! I'm not a cookie decorator, just enjoy looking at what you are able to create! These are amazing!!

Bastet — April 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

Glory! You hace a nice and lovely blog!
    One question: is'ts royal icing the blue dot? Or sugrarcraf ?
    Sorry for my inglish!

The Partiologist — April 2, 2012 at 7:14 am

So pretty – love the way you put it all together!!

Anonymous — April 2, 2012 at 7:42 am

They absolutely do look like Morning Glories. Beautiful work !!! Thanks for your blog, Lorna

Alyssa — April 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

I've nominated you for the Sunshine Blog Award! http://mookology.com/2012/04/02/the-sunshine-blog-award/

the decorated cookie — April 2, 2012 at 8:07 am

So gorgeous, like looking at a garden (I mean, a garden of flowers grown by someone skilled, not my garden.)

Laura — April 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

They look amazing, so beautiful!

Tesei — April 2, 2012 at 9:08 am

These are gorgeous cookies, all of them really… Congratulations to you all!

Montreal Confections — April 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hi Glory,
    When I saw your cookies it made me smile that you got “Morning Glories” you did a wonderful job with this flower. I wouldn’t have known where to start; I must say you got a tough one.
    Great tutorial, Marlyn

Loveforfood — April 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

i am drooling over your food pics…..sooo yummy looking!

Bea @ CancunCOOKIES — April 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

Beautiful Morning Glories, Glory! Love the whole set and colors… your photography as always makes these prettier (if possible)… I'm sure this will be perfect for your Header…

SweetSugarBelle — April 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

We love morning glories. We planted some just recently to grow up our lattice. Speaking of lattice, how creative!!! These are perfect!!!

Lora — April 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

These are so pretty! I must make them for my mom who loves this flower and has 100s of them growing up the fence on her back porch.

Alison — April 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

beautiful Glory!! Love the lattice ones!!

Nicole (Life's a Batch) — April 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Glory, these are so sweet! The addition of the vines & the lattices make these cookies seem so feminine & soft – just utterly beautiful. Job very well done, friend!

Stephanie (Ellie's Bites) — April 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

These are BEAUTIFUL! I love the colors!

Joy Adams — April 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Wow. I love these. They totally look like morning glory's to me. I love the detail and the trellis.

Sue — April 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Such PRETTY cookies! The colors are so soft and soothing. My favorite cookie is the morning glories entwined on the trellis.

Ema — April 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

They are Spring in cookie form! Just lovely!

Marian (Sweetopia) — April 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Absolutely stunning, Glory! They're perfect in every way… I love the colors, the clean lines… so lovely!

The BearFoot Baker — April 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I love your tutorial! Using RI transfers was a brilliant idea!! Your cookies are beautiful!!

Paula — April 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm

My sister had a literal wall of morning glories grown up the fence in her back yard. It was beautiful in the summer to go outside on the deck and drink your coffee with these beautiful climbing flowers greeting you all in their *Morning Glory*. Your cookies are just lovely and the addition of the white lattice for them to *climb* on is perfect.

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — April 3, 2012 at 1:40 am

The Cookies are all so pretty! What a fun project! :)

Haniela — April 3, 2012 at 3:41 am

I wanted to grow these few year back but I wasn't successful maybe this time around I'll make cookies instead.
    they turned out beautiful.
    One of my favorite flower color combinations is blue and yellow, so pretty.
    Beautiful cookie Glory.

Jaclyn's Cookies — April 3, 2012 at 8:44 am

Love these, they're beautiful! I love the ones growing up the trellis.

Bake-A-Holic — April 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

Such an art. These would be so pretty in an Easter basket.

CookieD-oh — April 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

Beautiful! They are exactly the same color as the ones that used to grow on my fence. Loving the vines, too.

Cecilia — April 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I knew they were morning glories right when I saw them! Tell James to plant some by your fence and then he can see the blue dots! This is a really neat idea and the cookies are lovely! Love you!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — April 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

They look great!

Liz @ Arty McGoo — April 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm

These are soooo sweet! The colors and the curly little vines! And then the blossoms on the lattice? I adore these. I have got to do more RI transfers, I love the dimension and it breaks up the process. BEAUTIFUL!

Butter Hearts Sugar — April 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm

gosh they look pretty. I love the trellis idea. Beautiful!

Georganne (LilaLoa) — April 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh my goodness — these are SO SO pretty!! I am absolutely IN LOVE with the cookie where they are climbing the trellis. SO BEAUTIFUL. They are perfect!

Cristin (Pinkie) — April 6, 2012 at 1:50 am

Glory these are so beautiful! I don't know what Morning Glory's are supposed to look like, but I can't imagine they could be any prettier than your rendition on a cookie! I especially love the one winding around a trellis. Very creative and beautifully detailed! Thanks for sharing Glory!

Deborah — April 6, 2012 at 10:57 am

These are so beautiful! I seriously am having cookie envy right now.

Fox — April 11, 2012 at 5:42 am

These are gorgeous! I got some icing pens for Christmas, struggling to get the hang of them though! The neatness of your icing is unreal! :)

Shanna — April 16, 2012 at 11:53 am

I've just now taken time to look at this post. These are so sweet, I'm going to try my hand at them!

As for morning glories, oh, girl…if you could only see our vegetable garden in the summer. The flowers are lovely but the vines are pesky and will take over everything in sight if they aren't pulled regularly!

Sheryl @ Flowery Prose — April 23, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Absolutely exquisite!

Nechy — May 7, 2012 at 5:23 am

Hola!! no sé si entenderás español, pero no he podido resistirme a entrar en tu blogg cuando he visto estas fantásticas galletas de flores primaverales, me han encantado!! yo me he iniciado hace muy poco en el decorado de galletas y me quedo por tu página a disfrutar de tus creaciones, aquí tienes una seguidora más!! Felicidades por el blogg!!
    Un beso!!
    nechy-siquierespuedes.blogspot​.com

Nikki @ Tikkido — June 23, 2012 at 2:41 am

Oh my goodness, that technique is perfect for morning glories! Brilliant!!

Mike 'Cookie Man' D. — March 3, 2013 at 7:35 am

Those look so cute and you make it look so easy. I will try to make them, but I am sure it will not look as nice as yours. Thank you so much for sharing…

1. Pingback: Recipe Index | My Favs | Morning by Morning