How to make Fondant Roses and Leaves

Earlier this week I shared some delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes that were decorated with fondant roses.  As promised, I’m back to show you how to make these pretty accents, perfect for cakes or cupcakes.

This post is a little sentimental for me… four years ago I was in the early stages of my obsession with decorative baking… I was devouring every book, website and blog I could find on the topic of cake and cookie decorating.  I  had recently discovered a sweet blog called Bakerella and was always sure to check her new posts each and every Monday.  Monday rolled around and I found the most beautiful rose cupcakes I’d ever seen!  That very day I pulled out my bucket of fondant and followed her instructions as closely as possible.  I made a whole set of cupcakes and brought them with me to church group that evening.  I was so proud of them!  I was so pleased with the photos of my cupcakes that I made one of the photos my Flickr icon.  To this day, it is still my icon.  I love remembering the joy of successfully creating something new, and something I was proud of.  Bakerella gave me that gift four years ago (and many times since), and I hope that I have given it to you through some of my posts as well.

Anyway… would you like to make some pretty fondant roses?

If you’re familiar with working with fondant, follow along below.  If you’re new to fondant work, I have a whole post titled Fondant 101 to get you started.

To begin, color your fondant as desired.  Red can be a hard color to create (from white), so I usually prefer to buy pre-colored red fondant if I want a nice true red.  I was out of red, so this color is made from white.  I used Americolor super red, a bit of burgundy and a tiny bit of purple.  It’s also a good idea to wear plastic gloves while working with (especially while coloring) fondant.  As you’ll notice below, I was out of gloves!

1.  Roll out a small piece of fondant.

2.  Cut a strip about 1 1/2-2 inches wide (in this case I used the piece to the left of my cut).

3.  Fold the fondant strip in half lengthwise (as shown).

4.  With the folded edge on top, begin rolling the strip of fondant around itself.

5.-7.  Continue rolling, as you pinch the base of the ‘rose’.

8.  When you’ve created the size rose you want (or have come to the end of the strip), pinch the base of the rose, and pull off any excess fondant.

9.  Lay your finished rose to dry (2 hours minimum).  I usually leave a bit of a cone shape at the end of the rose because it makes it easy to press into frosting on a cake or cupcake, but you could certainly cut it off if you prefer.

As a bonus, Cake Journal (another gorgeous site I’ve loved a long time!) has perfect video showing how to quickly make ribbon roses.

Now for the leaf…

1.  Roll a tiny bit of green fondant into a ball.
2.  Press the ball of fondant down onto your work surface.  Use your fingers to press it flat, and shape it into a basic leaf shape (similar to a tear drop).
4.-6.  Use a fondant veining tool (or the end of a small paintbrush) to draw veins on the leaf.  Allow leaf to dry.

With any luck you should have some pieces that look like this…

You’ll notice quite a bit of variety in the size and shape of the roses and leaves (above).  Some of that is just what the fondant wanted to do, some is my choice.  Sometimes I like nice tight, ‘perfect’ looking roses, other times I prefer a more ruffled, loose look.

Once dry, use your roses and leaves to decorate cupcakes or cakes (sneak peek of a cake below that I’ll share more pictures of later this week).

Happy Decorating!

53 Responses to “How to make Fondant Roses and Leaves”

So Domesticated — February 8, 2012 at 12:43 am

Great tutorial… I'll definitely be trying this soon!

Daphne — February 8, 2012 at 12:55 am

It was an easy to follow tutorial, thanks!

Kelly-Jane — February 8, 2012 at 12:59 am

That is how I thought in my head they'd be made, but it's always helpful to see it done. I'm going to try these, very pretty.

I've just read your cake stand post – love your collection :)

Amanda — February 8, 2012 at 1:07 am

I love that you posted these today!!! I made super tiny ones last week and had solo much fun making them and putting them on dark chocolate cupcakes — the chocolate makes the red POP!

Bravo, so adorable!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 8, 2012 at 3:46 am

These are so pretty!! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Larissa Pavei — February 8, 2012 at 4:07 am

in the cupcake at the end of the post….what tip did you use to frost it?? i looks lovely!!

JulieD — February 8, 2012 at 5:20 am

I love making ribbon fondant roses. So easy & fun! Your tutorial is so perfect!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — February 8, 2012 at 5:23 am

So cute, I hate working with fondant some times, but these I could do. They might even look like roses if I'm lucky:)

Gina@Bend Cookie Company — February 8, 2012 at 5:42 am

So simple and so elegant!

galo44ka — February 8, 2012 at 5:59 am

Thanks for the lesson. Very nice.

Cookbook Queen — February 8, 2012 at 6:13 am

Glory, these are just gorgeous!! Ribbon roses are one of my favorites.

And I know that you inspire tons of people…your work is amazing!!

Paula {JustABiteDesserts.com} — February 8, 2012 at 6:32 am

Great tutorial, Glory! Don't know how Bakerella wouldn't know you exist, as I think you are right up there with her! Love your blog and all you share. Happy baking anniversary from another baking lover!

Jany@SuperCuteCookies — February 8, 2012 at 7:35 am

Wonderful tutorial! I love ribbon roses because they are so simple but yet so beautiful!

Angela — February 8, 2012 at 7:38 am

Hey thanks,
    Love the post on the roses. Purdy!!! Glad to see how this is done. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Cup cakes look really good too! Happy Valentines Day to you! XOX

Beki — February 8, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love the color of red you got! So beautiful.

Geni — February 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

You always have the best demonstrations! My cupcakes took a major leap forward since I watched your step-by-step on how to frost cupcakes. I did link to you when my cupcakes came out so pretty! Thanks for your help! "From the trenches!"

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies — February 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

That seems easy enough! Now if I can just do it! =)

Whitney Cosgrave — February 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

so pretty! I don't know if I would have the patience but these do look adorable!

Susie @ Fold in the Flour — February 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

These are lovely and so perfect for Valentine's Day – thanks for sharing!

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — February 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Thanks for the fabulous tips! I have been eager to try this for some time and now you have given me the inspiration to do so!

Sarah (Canterbury Cakes) — February 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for sharing such a clear tutorial – you make it look very straightforward!

Patricia — February 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm

"Thank you for the sep by step tutorial"
    Saludos desde España!

The BearFoot Baker — February 9, 2012 at 5:14 am

Thanks for sharing this! It really makes the cupcakes look beautiful!

cookies and cups — February 9, 2012 at 5:17 am

So pretty Glory! I am having Wilton flashbacks where you were basically fondant rose Yoda!

I bet Bakerella wants to meet YOU!

Juliette @ Carpet Cleaning Aliso Viejo — February 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

Great tips for making the cutest little roses. Thanks, I will be trying this on Valentines Day. Great site i will be returning for more helpful hints. Juiette here mom, wife business owner from Carpet Cleaning Aliso Viejo Happy V- Day!

SweetSugarBelle — February 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Perfect and easy, thanks for sharing!

Jennifer — February 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Adorable fondant roses! I made some for the first time this morning before finding this blog. I love the look of yours and can't wait to try this technique!

Sandy — February 10, 2012 at 4:15 am

i think i would prefer that 8 carat diamond ring i saw on the news this morning sitting atop my cupcake ;o)

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — February 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Such pretty cupcakes..i think i could do this! Thank you :)

Patsy — February 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Beautiful, indeed…I am a new follower! Patsy

luci — February 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm

que lindo,parabéns pelo seus trabalhos

Anonymous — February 13, 2012 at 6:06 am

Thank you for this post, I made them this past weekend! My first time using fondant and they came out looking great

Jo — February 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm

This looks great! What kind of fondant do you use?

Sue — February 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Glory, Thanks so much for the tutorial! I have wanted to make fondant roses "forever" and this is just the push I needed:)They're beautiful!

Cida Jacob — February 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Muito obrigada pela Dica vou seguir religiosamente,vc e uma pessoa especial . beijos no seu coraçao!

jacre — February 19, 2012 at 1:35 am

.thanks for the tutorial…

Cupcakes Plain and Fancy — February 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

I LOVE the beautiful red roses. Great step-by-step tutorial!

Jeannie — April 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I love these roses, I'll have to try them for my experiments! Thank you!

Ryan Carr — June 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

How wonderful! I must try this asap… Thank you for sharing! :O)

Charisma — August 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm

so simple !!

quanita — October 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

i read this post over the weekend and it gave me the courage to tackle fondant and i did and im loving it!!! your site is such an inspiration!!!! thank you sooooo much!!!!! you have no idea how much you have helped me.

Nadia — October 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Your website have truly inspired me! Thank you so much!

domicaren — April 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial, i’ll definitely try it out. Pls i need fondant recipe, my fondant breaks whenever i want to knead it. Thanks

Yasmin — April 22, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Glory, darling, even that you don’t know me, I am always thinking about you, how do you look like, what do you do in your day, how do you work at the kitchen, how do you take photos for your masterpieces, I even think about your husband and your daughter !
    Here you are my roses :
    Please accept my best regards
    Yasmin from the UAE

• Glory replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 1:22 am

Thank you for your sweet note. Your fondant roses and leaves are beautiful!

Elise — May 8, 2013 at 2:27 am

Hi,
    do you use a hardening agent for these?

i love them and plan to make them and the RV cake next fri!

• Glory replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 3:11 am

Hi Elise,
      No I don’t use a hardening agent, the fondant will dry quite firm. Allow the pieces to dry at least 24 hours (more is better) before adding them to cakes or cupcakes. If you live in a humid climate they may take a bit longer to dry.

sakina — October 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

its really easy…instead of putting thousands of bucks in learning the basics,i could hv watched this site before…If only i hd known:(Anyways thnx a lot:)

Salama Suliman — May 4, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Thank you so much for your amazing tutorial. U jst make it so eezy. Will try it thw morning for I need it for my grand daughter’s cake at the end of the weel. Yhanks again

1. Pingback: 卷卷翻糖小玫瑰的做法分解图 | imcake.cc