Cookie Decorating Kits for Kids {and Easy Butter Frosting Recipe}

Most children I know really love to decorate cookies!  In fact, last year I realized that my nieces and nephews would probably rather decorate their own cookies, then receive a cookie I decorated for them.  But of course the Christmas season can be a very busy one, and often baking cookies, making icing, and gathering all the supplies needed is just one extra chore.  Last year I thought I could give a special gift to the kids in our family by creating ready to go cookie decorating kits.  I spent a day making cookies and icing, and then packaged all of the supplies together, so that the cookies could be decorated as a special (and easy for the moms) Christmas activity.   I think this could be a great gift to the families in your life with young children.  When I made these kits up, I made one for our household too, and it was great to pull it out on Christmas Day (a day my husband usually works), and do a fun activity with my girls.

~ How to make a Cookie Decorating Kit ~

1.  Prepare a batch of Sugar Cookie dough, cut out assorted Christmas shapes, and bake.

2.  Once the cookies are baked and fully cool, layer then in a tupperware type container, with waxed paper between layers.  Plan 3-5 cookies per child in the home.

3.  Prepare butter frosting (Recipe below), and color as desired.  I would suggest 3-5 colors total.  Put icing into small plastic containers.

4.  Add some sprinkles to the gift as well.  I put sprinkles into little plastic dip containers (I picked up a few extra from a restaurant), or use small plastic baggies. You could certainly buy a few containers of sprinkles to include instead (I just happen to have more than enough sprinkles to share!).   Include several different colors and types of sprinkles.

5.  Package everything together.  Include several plastic knifes for spreading the icing.  I used a little tape to keep the smaller containers from moving around.  You could wrap the whole kit in cellophane, or put everything in a pretty basket.

6.  Give to a family you love!

*Note, the baked cookies will remain fresh 7-10 days.   I would recommend storing the icing in the refrigerator, then bringing to room temperature before use.

Easy Butter Frosting Recipe

4 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup butter (salted or unsalted), melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-4 Tablespoons milk

Directions ~

Pour powdered sugar into a large bowl.  Melt butter, then add to powdered sugar, and whisk to combine.  Add vanilla.  Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, then stir, until desired consistency is reached.  If you add too much milk, and your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.  Add coloring as desired.

(Recipe source- My mom.  Original source unknown, similar recipes widely available since the early 1900′s)

Enjoy some cookie decorating with the little people in your life!  If you’re lucky, you may end up with some creations as beautiful as these (created by my 3 and 6 year old)…

28 Responses to “Cookie Decorating Kits for Kids {and Easy Butter Frosting Recipe}”

Joy Adams — December 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Very Fun. This could be a fun gift for BIG kids too. I would love to just sit down and decorate some cookies without all of the prep work. Looks like so much fun. (Excited to be the first to comment.)

Haniela — December 12, 2011 at 3:15 am

These have precious charm about them.
    My first ever sugar cookies were decorated with this kind of frosting and kids love it!
    Merry Christmas Glory~

~ko — December 12, 2011 at 4:09 am

Such a clever idea! We have some family friends that would love this! Cant wait to get started on our own kits!

jo-lyn — December 12, 2011 at 7:23 am

What a great idea, I may have to steal this for our small family Christmas, if you don't mind! ;) Thank You!!

Cookbook Queen — December 12, 2011 at 7:37 am

I've looked all morning and I don't think I get Hallmark…dang cable!! :( Hopefully someone will post a link so I can see you and Callye in all your Cookie Queen glory!!

And I looove this idea for a gift. My son has so much fun cookie decorating!

Stephane in Alaska — December 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

I recognized your cookies in the preview! : )

cookies and cups — December 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

That icing sounds yumm! I am a little obsessive about my decorated cookies, so this is the perfect alternative for my kiddos!

SweetSugarBelle — December 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

this is funny, but I can pick out the cookies Grace decorated, LOL! LOVE this idea!!!

Aimee B. — December 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

This is such a sweet idea! I think it would be great for someone who loves to bake, but maybe has trouble doing it due to arthritis or something.

Maria — December 12, 2011 at 10:04 am

Such a fun activity for kids during the holidays!

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — December 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

Love love love this idea!! Since I live in pioneer times I don't have cable so I'm going to have to catch your segment online SOON!!! Can't wait!!

Heidi — December 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

Wow you have perfect timing! I'm hosting a Christmas party at our house on Saturday, and had the idea to do cookie decorating as an activity for the children. I already made the cookies, they're sitting undecorated in a box. I was worried about messing with royal icing with kids (I decorated a bunch for everyone to eat yesterday and realized it's not so kid friendly) so this solves my dilemma! With the 100 things I need to do on Saturday, making up a kit like this beforehand is perfect. By the way I just found your blog a few days ago, and I love it!

Cecilia — December 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love this idea! I'm going to do this for one of my girls' teachers who has 3 little boys! Yay! I'm so excited to give a kit like this to her! Thanks for the great idea, love you!

Alyssa — December 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I'm loving ALL the prizes but I could really use that martha stewart book & the cupcake liners.

Alyssa — December 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I'm a FB fan!

CraftyLoops — December 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oh yummy, these look delicious. Lee xx

Anonymous — December 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Glory,
    I'm so glad you and your cookie friends will be featured on Martha because your cookies are AmAzInG.
    Thanks for sharing this great idea for families to do and share.
    I wish you a Merry Christmas!!
    AL in Calif.

Anonymous — December 12, 2011 at 6:09 pm

can this icing be used for flooding by adding more liquid. will it dry hard. i am trying to find a recipe which can be used for flooding but with a good taste

JulieD — December 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I love this idea! Congrats on the Martha show appearance. I have it recorded and will watch it soon!

the decorated cookie — December 13, 2011 at 7:19 am

So clever, love this idea! I'll post a link on Edible Crafts. :) Can't wait to see the show! I don't get the Hallmark channel, but I'll definitely watch online.

charissa — December 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

the cinnamon for sure!!

charissa — December 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

liked glorious treats on fb

Christina — December 13, 2011 at 11:39 am

Glory, I couldn't find anything on your blog about sharing a link to your site- hope it's ok that I did on my blog!
    I just LOVE your blog, you do great work :)
    I made these cookies and icing with my girls (I haven't replenished my meringue powder yet so I couldn't make the royal icing) and we had so much fun decorating AND eating them :)

mividaenundulce — December 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

I have to try your buttercream, looks so easy to make, in compare with the regular one that you have to beat it.
    And this is a very nice and fun idea for kids, they love to decorate cookies.

Cristin (Pinkie) — December 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Absolutely ADORABLE gift idea! I love this! Thanks Glory and you Cookie Queens were awesome on Martha Stewart! I was so excited to watch it! By the way, I found you can get a bunch of those little 2 oz cups here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DGZ9JE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m;=A2IG16A8Z8HLYT

Stephenie.Carr — January 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am so honored to be the recipient of this gift — it was by far one of the most fun things I did with my girls this year — even my 1-1/2 year old got in on the action! Thanks Glory!

Miah — January 26, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Hi, I just made this frosting and I still have some left overs so I just wanted to know, how long does the frosting last? Thanks! :)

• Glory replied: — January 26th, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

Hi Miah,
      Just keep the frosting covered, in the fridge and it will keep at least a week. When you’re ready to use it, allow it to sit out at room temperature a bit to be soft enough to spread/use.