{Parties} Rainbows and Race Cars Birthday

I recently helped a good friend plan a birthday party for her two sweet children, a boy and a girl, who share the same birthday month.  The kids were turning 3 (Tim) and 1 (Annabelle), so they are young enough to “share” a party without thinking they missed out by not having their “own” party.

I spent a bit of time thinking up a party theme that would work for a boy/girl party and we settled on a theme of “Rainbows and Race Cars”.  HERE is the original inspiration board I put together as I began gathering ideas.  I used primary colors to pull the “Rainbows” and “Race Cars” ideas together, with added emphasis on red and purple.

It was a casual, home party designed with the children (and the young guests) in mind.  The day included some colorful sweets, a yummy BBQ, lots of water balloons and a pinata.

Here is the colorful table of treats I prepared for the party…

For these cookies, it took me almost as long to make all the bags of icing colors as it did to decorate them!  I used the “wet on wet” technique, by outlining and flooding the cookies in white and then adding the lines of color on the still wet icing.

HERE is my sugar cookie recipe and HERE is a simple decorating tutorial for royal icing cookies.

Simple vanilla cupcakes (recipe coming soon, very yummy, but I still may tweek it a bit) with my vanilla cream cheese frosting (recipe HERE).

I designed the cupcake toppers, water bottle labels, food labels and napkin wraps using Photoshop (please don’t quiz me too much on that, I’m really no expert on Photoshop and these took me hours and hours to work out!)

I do have a how-to on making custom water bottle labels HERE.

Party favors included rainbow ribbon hair bows for the girls (HERE is the how-to), and Hot Wheels race cars for the boys.

I was able to find a perfect rainbow pinata (from Party City), which of course the kids enjoyed thoroughly!  And here is the sweet birthday girl modeling a mini version of the hair bows I made.

It was a colorful and sweet-filled day and I think the birthday boy and birthday girl both felt celebrated.  And little Annabelle is a girl after my own heart… she knows how to enjoy a cupcake!  =)

51 Responses to “{Parties} Rainbows and Race Cars Birthday”

Yael — July 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm

How fun and colorful! I would be thrilled to have a birthday party like that, and I'm not even close to 1 or 3! Just beautiful work!

FireintheBreeze (Brittany) — July 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Wow everything looks so beautiful and orderly. Very professional and how nice of you to help out your friend :)

Joy Adams — July 11, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Very cute. I look forward to you felping me with some parties of my own someday.

Kim @ Frost Me! — July 12, 2010 at 3:26 am

very sweet! Love the stars on the buffet!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

Amy — July 12, 2010 at 3:39 am

Fantastic – so cute and colorful!

Destini — July 12, 2010 at 4:01 am

This party is just too cute! I love the striped cookies. Great job, Glory!

Haniela — July 12, 2010 at 5:10 am

Everything looks so wonderful. You have a great sense for styling and colors.
    Love the cookies.
    Beautiful

Henna @ AboutDivorce Blog — July 12, 2010 at 6:31 am

i think these birthday decorations are absolutely great and fanstastic, they take lots and lots of hard work, creativity and genuis and hats off to you for doing all of its, not only it looks great but i can bet it tastes heaven!!

Bea @ CancunCookies — July 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

I love your style, Glory! You did an awesome job combining both themes… I love the COOKIES!!

Sunny & Star — July 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Everything looks wonderful. I love how you chose a theme and colors. The inspiration board was so cute too. The cookies and cupcakes look so yummy.

The table with treats was displayed beautifully!

colleen banman — July 12, 2010 at 10:10 am

oh wow! super super cute!!!

colleen

{ L } — July 12, 2010 at 11:22 am

Oh wow! I don't even know where to start. EVERY single part of this is so fun and amazing. The star buffet is super cool and love the cookies!

Paula — July 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm

The cookies, decorations, buffet table etc., are all almost as pretty and as sweet looking as the birthday girl! Lovely :)

Marianne's Sweet Delights — July 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wow! Love the colours! Am thinking of having a joint birthday for my girls this year, as they are only 2 weeks apart. We're thinking of having a carnival party!

Am thinking of the best time for the party, the weekend in between their birthdays or wait for the weekend of the second birthday? Any ideas or tips?

Betzography — July 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I love this post. It's SO colorful and perfect for a children's party. Your displays are just wonderful.

Arlene (CO Kid) — July 14, 2010 at 5:54 am

Gorgeous!!! I want to be your sister! :)

The Cupcake Chic — July 14, 2010 at 7:47 am

So nice.. very pretty and colourful.. im inspired!!! *grin**

Monique — July 15, 2010 at 10:10 am

I love the colors. Everything is beautiful. You did a fab job! I'm working on my daughter's party now. Which Photoshop did you use? Where did you get the candy jars? Thanks!

brookie — July 16, 2010 at 3:00 am

I love the colors! Wonderful! I may use some of your idea's for an upcoming art party. I will link back to you if I do. THANKS!!! Great work.

Christina@pluffmuddstudio — July 16, 2010 at 8:43 am

THe vibrant colors are so fun! I am going to give those cookies a try! Thanks for sharing.

Aileen M. — July 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

love the whole set up! bet they had a great time!

Jillian — July 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

What a gorgeous party. I love how you combined the themes. I'm founder of http://www.catchmyparty.com. I'd love to feature your party in our Party of the Day on our homepage. Please email me if you are interested. My email address is jillian@catchmyparty.com. Again, lovely party! Best, Jillian

mom22 — July 19, 2010 at 11:57 am

What did your invites look like?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm

mom22- I designed the invites as well. The included both the rainbow and race car designs you can see on the cupcake toppers. If you're interested, I could e-mail it to you, but I need your e-mail address.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 19, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Monique- I use PhotoShop Elements 5.0 and the candy jars are vases I got from Michaels craft store for I think around $4 each. Thanks!

Rach — July 21, 2010 at 4:46 am

Thanks for posting about the rainbow curly clips. I made some on the weekend and my daughter went WILD about them! :-)

Debbie — July 22, 2010 at 2:40 am

Hi Glory! Like everyone else, I so love this party you shared! I'd love to feature this party on our blog as I love your gorgeous images and I think my followers (if they haven't already found you!) would love these ideas and all the great tips you have to share… especially for the cookies, icing and hair bows!! :) Please email me if that would be ok. My email address is debbie@tabletopsfortots.com.
    BTW… my mom (Gloria) goes by Glory too! :)

Leslie — July 22, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I must echo everyone's comments! What an amazing party. I am a contributing writer at PurpleTrail.com and I'd love to feature it on PurpleTrail's party ideas blog (www.purpletrail.com/partytrail). If you are interested, please email me: leslieb@purpletrail.com. Thanks!

Ashley — July 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I featured your cookies on my blog! I love this adorable party! I had to share the super cute rainbow cookies you made with my readers. I love them! Great job!

Bethany @ The Paper Pony — August 10, 2010 at 11:54 am

So darling! The striped cookies were totally worth the effort! What a fun party!

Tricia — October 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

Hi Glory!

Just came across your blog post as I was searching for rainbow ideas for my daughter's 5th birthday….she wants Rainbows AND Popsicles – but not rainbow popsicles. And I should also mention that her birthday is December 9th! AHHHH!!!

I was wondering if you are willing to share the rainbow photoshop file you used for the cupcake toppers? I have been trying to find something and have had no luck! If you are willing to share, my email is triciab325@yahoo.com.

Thank you so much….and I absolutely LOVE your party and your blog!!! So glad I found it!!

~Tricia
    orangefizzypop.blogspot.gom

Julia — December 9, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I would love to know what you did for a living but i am too young and i don'k now how you make them so pretty and perfect… Did you go to culinary school? I am no curious on how you got these cupcakes down to perfection please post more how to's I would love to learn

Anonymous — January 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love this party thinking about doing the same for my daughter and son this year whose birthdays are 10 days a part. Are you selling your designs? I would love to have the invitations, cupcake toppers etc? Thanks!

Ashley
    Ashley_phil310@yahoo.com

Alida — February 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

I just love this! I have twins (boy and girl) who are turning 3 in November and I'm already thinking of theme ideas for their party. It's so hard when it has to be Unisex. I'm thinking of Ladybugs & Dragonflies. but I did a red, white and green Candyshoppe party last year so is it ok if I go red and green AGAIN? I guess it will be cheap as I have all the table cloths already ;)

Jessica — February 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

WOWZA! How amazing! Everything looks spectacular!

Laurel {Make and Takes} — February 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

Gorgeous party ideas!! I'd love you to submit this to the M&T; Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Jenn — February 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

You amaze me. This is the cutest party table ever! You are so creative. I would love to do this some day.

marla — February 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This party is gorgeous. Love those striped cookies. Annabelle is darling :)

Rowaida — March 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is really beautiful and so colorful, everything looks amazing love all the details.

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe — March 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I featured your darling rainbow loveliness in my roundup!

BambergerFam — March 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm

is there any chance you would sell your templates for this?

Glory/ Glorious Treats — March 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Bamberger Fam- Yes, I'd be glad to sell you the files. Just e-mail me at glorioustreats.gmail.com and let me know what pieces you want (or all of them), and what names/ages you want on them. I'm heading out of town (and away from the computer) tomorrow for a week. I can send you the files after that.

Monika — April 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

Wonderful blog and ideas, absolute joy to see such great work! I liked your plan for this party and wanted to ask for a bit of advise: I'm a happy Mom to 2 girls who share the same birthday: Oct 29. They will turn 3 and 1 this year and I was wondering if you would have any ideas for a party for them? My older is really not into pink or princess stuff at all and my younger is too small to have an opinion :-)) i wish it could be an outside party but it will be freezing here by then. I just don't want their birthday to be overshadowed by Halloween so I'm really looking for a fun idea. Thanks!

Leanne — June 28, 2011 at 4:05 am

HI Glory
    I am so excited about these Rainbow cookies – my little girl turns 4 in September and these are exactly what I was looking for to go with her rainbow theme birthday – how perfect and I love your blog you are very clever

Leanne
    xx

Dennis Harrington — July 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Glory! What are the sprinkles on the cupcakes you used for the party? Thanks!! Getting excited for my own r and r party! Can't wait to send you some pictures!

knottyknitpicks — July 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Hi Glory! has the Simple vanilla cupcakes recipe been posted somewhere yet? I can't find it. Thanks!!!!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — July 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

knottyknitpicks- Sorry, I haven't gotten to it yet! I wanted to work on it until it was as perfect as possible… I think I have it now, and I plan to post in the next couple weeks. Sorry for the delay!

Anonymous — September 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Love your blog!!! I haven't used photoshop before and want to create red and white candy striped food labels for my son's pirate party… Do you have any hints? My email is Valerie.gent@optusnet.com.au thanks :-)

Heather — December 28, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I absolutely love this party! You are so talented! I would love to buy these templates from you if it’s possible? Also wondering where you purchased the mini star balloons? Thanks so much:-)
    Heather