{How-to} Make Curly Ribbon Hair Bows

Ribbon was on sale last week at my local craft store.  Regardless of the fact that I already own 5 times the amount ribbon any one person should own, I suddenly felt the need to buy more!

I found an adorable ribbon with rainbows on it, and knew I “needed” to buy it for a rainbow themed birthday I’m planning for a little girl turning one in June.

I thought the rainbow ribbon would be the perfect base for some pretty hair bows.  I’ve seen hair bows made with ribbon that is in beautiful ringlets, but I’ve never made them.  I thought this would be the perfect chance to give it a try.  A quick search on the web and I was ready to go  (I found the same general information on several different sites).

The process was quite easy, and I was really happy with the results.  I think my daughters are going to be wearing lots of hair bows this summer!

Step 1-

Select the ribbon you plan to use (I only used grosgrain ribbons, since that’s what I’ve seen used before.  I’m not sure if you could use satin type ribbon as well)

Wrap the ribbon around wooden dowels (available at Wal-Mart, or most any craft store) and secure the ribbon with straight pins (used for sewing) or wooden clothes pins (much easier- too bad I only had one around at the time!)

Step 2-

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees (F).

Lay ribbon wrapped dowels on a foil lined baking sheet.

Bake ribbon for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool completely.

Step 3-

When the ribbon has cooled, remove the pins and gently remove ribbon from dowels.

At this point, I paused for a moment to admire the fact that it actually worked!

Step 4-

Cut the ribbon into pieces 3″- 4″ long, depending on how large you want your finished bows to be.

Note:  If you notice that the ribbon seems to want to unravel at the ends you may “heat seal” the ends. This can be done by using the heat from a lighter to ever-so-slightly melt the end. I was able to do this with no problems, but it obviously has great potential to burn your fingers. Hold the end of the ribbon with one hand, and bring the flame of the lighter up next to the ribbon, but not touching it, until you see the ribbon shrink or melt just the slightest little bit.

Step 5-

Attach the ribbons by either using a needle and thread to stitch them together, or by using a little dot of hot glue between each ribbon.

Step 6-

Assemble the bow.  There are about a thousand and one different ways to put these together.

You can use any number of ribbons to achieve whatever size bow you want.

Since I wanted to incorporate the rainbow print ribbon I looped the rainbow ribbon over several times and simply hot glued the loops in place.  Then I took the curly ribbons, with the needle and thread still attached,  and pushed the needle through the glued rainbow ribbon.  It took a bit of effort to get the needle through the area that had been hot glued, and I think I probably could have just hot glued the curly ribbons onto the rainbow ribbon.

Step 7-

Attach a hair clip (available at most craft stores, sometimes in the beading area). I found that using the hot glue on the high setting worked best to secure the ribbon to the metal clip.

Step 8-

Admire your cute new hair bows!

Step 9-

Find a little girl to model the bow  =)

54 Responses to “{How-to} Make Curly Ribbon Hair Bows”

Aileen — May 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Fabulous Glory!! great step by step!

Tracy — May 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Those are soooo cute! You did a great job, thank you for taking the time to show us how you did them!

Amy and Family — May 11, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Super cute! I've made a lot of different types of bows – but not these. Looks like I have a fun project in store!

Sharnel — May 12, 2010 at 12:34 am

absolutely gorgeous! my mum used to make me these when i was little!!

Andreassist — May 12, 2010 at 8:11 am

Fabulouso!! Can I move next door??

Best,
    Andrea

Giovanna Zirena — May 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Están preciosos, gracias por el tutorial, muy clarito, a ver si compro yo unas cintas con motivo de Minnie, para el cumple de mi niña de este año ;)

DreamgirlLisa — May 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm

You can also sew these on socks and clothes to match and they stay curly in the wash!

Glory — May 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Wow, thanks for the tip Lisa! I would have never guessed they would stay curly after a wash!

Megan — May 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I cannot wait to make these for my daughter!

And may I ask… I was planning a police man party for my sons first birthday and am coming up completely blank on ideas. Seen anything useful?

Glory — May 16, 2010 at 11:56 am

Megan- Thanks for the comment! I've been thinking on your police theme…. Of course the colors that come to mind are blue, white and gold. I was thinking you may be able to find some of that yellow "Caution" tape and tape off an area, maybe hang a sign that says "Crime scene, do not cross".
    Another idea… You could send some kind of official looking ID with the invitations, and let the guests know that you'll be checking for proper ID at the door.
    Oh, and for food, you could include coffee and doughnuts! =) For kids, the "coffee" could be chocolate milk.
    Hope this adds to your ideas. I'd love you to send me the link to your party photos after you have it. I'll love to see what you come up with!
    -Glory

Becki D — June 3, 2010 at 7:12 am

Awe.Some!

Buying already-made bows like these is pretty pricey….but I already have everything I'd need to make these except the clips. I'm guessing they're not too pricey?

Glory — June 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Becki D.-
    Thanks for the comments. The plain clips are not too expensive. The ones I found at Michale's craft store (look in the ribbon section) were 2.99 for a pack of six clips, I think. Since then I've also found some nice ones at ULTA (a beauty supply store) that were a good price as well.

Yycien — June 11, 2010 at 1:15 pm

You’ve been inspired me to get into sewing and make some baby hair bows for my niece. I might have to try this out. Thanks!

Virginie — July 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thank you so much for showing us how to make curly ribbons. I made some yesterday and couldn't believe how easy and quick they were to make !!
    I have used them as embellishments on a Birthday T shirt there http://thatcutelittlecake.blogspot.com/
    I really like your blog, I was already following you on Flickr and you are very talented.

Anonymous — August 16, 2010 at 7:38 am

Totally awesome – thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous — November 20, 2010 at 8:43 am

Super cute! I love it on the rainbow ribbon. Would you mind sharing where you found that rainbow ribbon?

Thanks!

Glory/ Glorious Treats — November 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

Anonymous- The rainbow ribbon is from Michael's.
    Happy Shopping!

jvlt — September 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial, I have linked to your post at my blog http://craft-connection.blogspot.com/2011/09/curled-ribbons.html

Tabitha — October 12, 2011 at 8:31 am

Love these! I just saw a curling iron for ribbon at the fabric store, now I don't need to spend anything besides the cost of my ribbon. Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous — December 6, 2011 at 5:05 am

Love this. Thank you for sharing.
    Happy Crafting,
    Kuhnie

Deanna — December 7, 2011 at 9:25 pm

yes, you can use satin ribbon. I always used knitting needles of different sizes. This works great too.

Nathaly — January 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I like :>)

ELL — March 13, 2012 at 5:52 am

I can't wait to try this , Ur step by step was easy to understand … Thank you ! ELL

Anonymous — March 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I make hair bows all the time for every occasion that comes up…one tip that sometimes helps is get the ribbon and dowel wet (after wrapping ribbon run under sink) or even spray with a heavy starch, it helps to keep the curl. Sometimes they will in curl with a lot of wear!! They can also be hit clued or tied ( with very narrow ribbon) to a plain pony tail holder. I have also been known to glue a decorative button with the shank cut off in the middle!!!

Amy — April 4, 2012 at 8:58 am

thanks for the tut! I can see my granddaughter having some in every color combo! I will post and link back to you.

Unknown — April 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for the great step by step instructions. Who knew they were so easy to make? They were so fun to put together!

Horváth Emerencia — April 13, 2012 at 6:22 am

Super cute!Thank you!

Neala — July 23, 2012 at 9:23 pm

So simple and gorgeous, hours of fun too. Love your site Neala

Brandy — August 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

I love it wow so easy!!!!

Me N my Monkeys — September 14, 2012 at 4:41 am

This is a fantastic tut. Thank you!

Do you have any tuts on creating bows?
    I’m trying to teach myself with great difficulty. ;)

Carol — October 13, 2012 at 1:06 am

Yea!,,, I made one. I make American doll clothes and these are perfect to add an accessiry to their clothing. thank you so much. Hugs. A grandmother

Eugenia Pintado — December 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for sharing with us, so nice step by step and easy :)

Shaznay — December 23, 2012 at 7:54 am

……………………………………………………………………………….. :)

Psyche Jane Anne Vinnete Mar T. Manillegas — December 23, 2012 at 8:03 am

So nice. I’ll try it. Thank you Shaz for sharing this to me…… :P

jenny — February 2, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I am so excited, I have wanted to know how to do this for 3 years!!! Thank you Thank you!!!

DeShawna Scott — May 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Thank you for sharing. I would have never guessed this was how you did this!

deepa sridhar — June 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

How do you attach the bows to a pony tail holder instead of a clip???

Godaddy — July 30, 2013 at 3:46 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.

After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

JaguarPC Coupon — July 31, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?

This post posted at this web site is really fastidious.

KayleneP — August 15, 2013 at 3:05 am

Thank you for sharing this great idea. I imagine these curly ribbons could be used for lots of crafts!

Anne — September 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm

You can also touch the ribbon to a hot burner on your stove and that seals the ends as well without the flame. I have electric stove.

Crystal Guzman — September 12, 2013 at 4:35 am

Thanks for the tutorial!! Just wondering- what size ribbon did you use to curl? I will be attempting this weekend!

• Glory replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

Hi Crystal,
      I usually use 1/2 inch ribbon, but you can use most any size as long as it’s grosgrain ribbon, as shown.

Cinnamonbite — January 6, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Hey! Thanks for this! Exactly what I needed! I’ve been trying to make some fancy kitten collars for my foster kittens that go up for adoption in Petsmart. Any little bit to get them noticed and taken to a forever home! I linked your page here in my blog: http://cinnamonbite.blogspot.com/2014/01/making-collars-for-kittens.html

Natalie — July 31, 2014 at 3:06 pm

What size dowels do you recommend work best?

Happy Housewife — September 12, 2014 at 9:28 am

Oh I love this idea ! Thank you.

sharon — October 26, 2014 at 2:08 am

I just have a quick question. My daughter is wanting me to make some like the curls for grand daughters birthday. We looked it up on a different site and it said to use fabric stiffener. I did. And it did not work at all. I didn’t see if you used any. Suggestions?

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites–Over the Rainbow « Crafty Staci

2. Pingback: Lüle Kurdela Yapımı (DIY Korker Ribbon) « Baybars'la Vals

3. Pingback: 50+ Trim Projects to Inspire You - The Sewing Loft

4. Pingback: 58 Ways to Make DIY Belts & Hair Bows - Tip Junkie

5. Pingback: How to Make Curly Hair Bows Like Gymboree | Popular Question & Answer

6. Pingback: How To Make Curls Stay Put | Hair Modern Styles