{Cookie Decorating} How To Make Pretty Luau Cookies

Sunday I posted photos from a luau party I recently helped set up for a friend’s birthday.  I promised I’d be back to show you the how-to’s on the cookies I made for the party, so here I am.

First, you’ll need to make a batch of sugar cookies, HERE is the recipe and instructions.

Then, if you’re new to cookie decorating, you may want to look at THIS post, and THIS one, to give you a few more pointers.

Now, we’re ready to decorate.  First up is the shell.

With a bit of luck, and practice your finished shells will look something like this.

Next up, pineapples.

Now you’re ready to party, Luau style!

For those of you saying “Wait, what about the flip flops?”  I don’t have step by step photos for you, but I can give you a quick overview.  Outline and flood your cookies.  Then I used the ”wet-on-wet” technique by adding either dots, flower shapes or lines of another color, while the base coat was still wet.  Once those base colors are dry I added the “strap” by piping rows of little dots, using a stiff consistency icing with a #2 tip.  I finished them off with a small fondant flower (you could also add a royal icing flower, or no flower).

Happy Decorating!

21 Responses to “{Cookie Decorating} How To Make Pretty Luau Cookies”

Amanda — April 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Great job! These are so cute!

Janice — April 28, 2010 at 1:25 am

These are so cute! Especially the flip-flops!

Anonymous — April 28, 2010 at 5:26 am

Thank you again for sharing! Keep doing what you're doing. x Valentina

Anonymous — April 28, 2010 at 5:26 am

Thank you again for sharing! Keep doing what you're doing. x Valentina

Rach — April 29, 2010 at 1:34 am

Thank you, thank you for sharing your wonderful talent and fantastic tips! So kind of you. Mwah!

nikki — May 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Beautiful. :) I notice you use royal icing a lot & I love the way it looks. However, every time I've made royal icing it just doesn't taste good to me and it smells like..hmm … sort of like raw eggs. I use a recipe that calls for meringue powder, water, and powdered sugar. How do you make royal icing taste good??

Glory — May 11, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Nikki- The royal icing I make is made with meringue powder, water, and powdered sugar, just as you mentioned. I use Wilton brand meringue poweder which does have some vanilla flavor added. I guess the taste and smell is a matter of opinion. I actually think it smells really good, and I like the taste too. I think most people like the taste, but I have heard of a few people who don't care for royal icing. I've seen cookies that are decorated with a corn syrup glaze, you may want to do a bit of searching and try that kind of recipe.

Thanks for the comment.
    -Glory

Virginia — May 26, 2010 at 1:11 am

Thank you for sharing all this information. You are being a great inspiration.
    Somewhere in your blog you mentioned you took a cookies decoration class. Can you tell me where was that?

Thanks
    Virginia

Glory — May 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

Virginia- Thanks for your comment. The original class I took that really set me on fire for learning about decorative baking was just a one night class through my local parks and recreation department. After that, I began taking more decorating classes through the parks and rec. and started pouring over books and the internet to learn more.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — July 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Those look beautiful! I love the seashells! And the pineapples are so cute too. And the flip-flops! Oh my, I like them all :D

momwhats4dinner — July 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

Those are the cutest cookies ever! Great job! I don't know which one is my fav….they're all my fav!

babylhot27 — August 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Your post is such an informative one. A good help for starters like me. As soon as I get my oven, I'll start baking cookies. Can't wait decorating them…. Oh by the way, I'll be adding you on my blog. I hope you don't mind. :D

Anonymous — February 28, 2012 at 7:42 am

Please add a pinterest button so I can share this and give you credit for it :)

Darrin — August 2, 2013 at 2:22 am

The experimentation to create a new taste is always in the offing
    to create a market. Online coupons for pizza often have coupons
    codes that you have type in when you order a pizza from a pizzeria’s website. It is necessary for us to figure out effective ways to solve this tough trouble.

1. Pingback: Simple Starfish Cookies