Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes
Kahlua (coffee liqueur) adds a wonderful dimension to delicious chocolate frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa best quality available
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract best quality available
- 1 cup boiling water
- 12 tablespoons butter 1 1/2 sticks
- 4 oz cream cheese 1/2 block
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons Kahlua/coffee liqueur adjust to your tastes, in place of Kahlua, use 1-2 tablespoons espresso coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk as a second choice
Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.)
Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until fully smooth.
Add cream cheese, and continue to beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
Add cocoa powder, and beat until well combined.
Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, while the mixer is running.
Add vanilla, then 2 tablespoons of Kahlua (or espresso) and 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Add additional Kahlua if desired.
Beat until all liquid is fully incorporated and frosting is smooth and fluffy.
If you don't have cream cheese on hand, feel free to replace it with an additional 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of butter. The cream cheese adds a nice dimmension, but the frosting is still delicious without it.
It is important that your butter and cream cheese are cool or cold, or the frosting may be too soft. If the frosting is too soft, put the entire bowl of finished frosting in the fridge for 20 minutes or so, and it will firm up quite a bit.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 272mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 46g | Vitamin A: 146IU | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg