Simply the BEST homemade Strawberry Cupcakes!
You’ll never want a boxed mix again after you try this from-scratch fresh Strawberry Cupcakes recipe.
No artificial flavors or colors here… just fresh strawberries and an all-natural “secret” ingredient for the best strawberry cupcake you’ve ever had!
This recipe doubles down on strawberry flavor, with a moist and fluffy strawberry cake, topped with rich and creamy strawberry frosting.
These cupcakes are just begging to be the star of any summer get-together!
This recipe was created in partnership with Challenge Dairy.
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
We’ve likely all eaten a boxed mixed “Strawberry” (flavored) cupcake at some point.
There is no way to really replicate that exact flavor profile without artificial flavors, so these are not a copy-cat of a strawberry boxed mix… these are WAY better!
This recipe includes fresh strawberries in both the cake and frosting.
You’ll want to use fresh, fully ripe strawberries. If you have a strawberry stand or farmer’s market nearby, that’s likely your best bet.
As with most every recipe that comes out of my kitchen, this these cupcakes include my favorite kitchen staples, Challenge Butter and Challenge Cream Cheese.
I know when I use Challenge brand dairy products I can depend on consistent quality and fresh taste.
Challenge loves to let their fresh, high quality ingredients shine through in their products and this means I can depend on a pure taste and superior results!
No added flavors, dyes, or artificial preservatives…. just fresh and delicious ingredients that are the perfect foundation for successful recipes!
If you’re not sure where you can find Challenge butter and cream cheese near you, use this helpful map.
In addition to fresh Challenge butter & cream cheese and fresh, ripe strawberries, these cupcakes include one “secret” ingredient that helps add natural color and flavor to each bite of these delicious cupcakes.
Both the cake and frosting include freeze dried strawberries, ground into a powder, to infuse real strawberry flavor throughout.
Look for freeze dried strawberries near where dried fruit is sold in the grocery store.
Freeze dried strawberries add flavor and color without adding excess moisture, which can often be a problem when baking or making frosting with fresh fruit.
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
Yield: 12-14 cupcakes
Flavorful and delicious strawberry cupcakes from scratch. No artificial flavors or colors!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- 1/4 cup Challenge unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat or light, but avoid fat free)
- 3 Tablespoons freeze dried strawberries powder (see notes)
- 1/4 cup milk (whole or low fat, but avoid fat free)
- 1/4 cup finely diced fresh, ripe strawberries
Make the cupcakes -
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with a whisk, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla, melted butter and oil, and blend.
- Add sour cream and freeze dried strawberries powder and blend.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add the milk, then the rest of the flour. Blend until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl.
- Add the diced strawberries and blend just until fully incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are just slightly golden brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Cool fully (about an hour) before frosting.
Make the frosting -
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter (on medium speed) until completely smooth (30 seconds to a minute).
- Add cream cheese, and then continue to beat until smooth.
- Add freeze dried strawberry powder and blend.
- One cup at time, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and salt and blend.
- While slowly mixing, add the remaining 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Add finely diced strawberries and blend.
- Continue to blend until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and pipe onto fully cooled cupcakes.
- Top frosted cupcakes with a fresh strawberry, if desired.
Freeze Dried Strawberries - Find these in the grocery store near dried fruit. Blend a 1 oz. package of freeze dried strawberries in the food processor to create a powder. Be sure to check for a silica packet in with the strawberries before blending (I'm speaking from experience on this). Immediately put the powder into a jar with a lid, or moisture from the air will cause the powder to clump together (which would not effect the taste, but makes it more difficult to measure). You may have a little extra powder after you complete this recipe. Any leftover powder can be added to yogurt or smoothies.
Recipe source - Glorious Treats
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
Disclosure – I created this recipe as part of an ongoing partnership with Challenge Dairy. Partnering with brands I love allows me to provide you high quality content at no cost to you. I only work with brands I use and love. All images, text and opinions are my own.