{D.I.Y.} Burlap Valentine’s Garland

Now that all the decorations for Christmas have been put up (well… most of them at least!), the house looks a little bare.  This cute little Valentine’s garland is perfect to add a little cheer to a window, wall, or mantel.

For this craft, I enlisted the help of a talented and crafty friend, Kristine C.   Kristine designed and assembled the garland pictured.  The original inspiration for this garland is from Etsy shop, Funkyshique.

This cute and crafty garland is quite easy to make… in fact, make two and share one with a friend!

Let’s get started!

You’ll need…

Burlap (less than 1/4 yard)

No-fray fabric treatment (as pictured above)

White craft paint

Sponge, or sponge brush

Red craft paint

Red glitter

Small paint brush

Thick twine/jute (available in craft or fabric stores, or The Tomkat Studio shop)

Hot glue gun

Valentine’s Garland Directions ~

1.  Cut burlap into small rectangles (ours were 3.5″ x 5.5″).  For our banner we used six rectangles.  Cut as many rectangles are you’d like for banner.

2.  Cut a notch (as pictured) into the rectangles, creating a flag.

3.  Use the no fray fabric glue along the edges of the burlap.  This step is optional, but will help the banner last more than one season.  Allow glue to dry.

4.  Using a small sponge, or sponge brush, paint the burlap flags white.  Add as much or as little paint as you’d like, to achieve the look you want.  Allow to dry.

5.  When the white paint is dry, use red paint and a small paint brush to paint a heart in the center of the flag.  You can freehand the heart shape (as we did), or if you’d prefer you could use a marker to trace the shape first, then fill in with the red paint.

6.  While the red paint is still wet, sprinkle red glitter onto hearts.  Shake off excess glitter.

7.  When the paint is all dry, use hot glue to glue each flag along a piece of jute twine (leaving some excess twine on either end for easy hanging).

You’re done!

Hang the garland in your kitchen window, along your mantel, or anywhere in your home or office that needs a little love.

Happy Crafting!

29 Responses to “{D.I.Y.} Burlap Valentine’s Garland”

Holly — January 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm

What a cute idea! I am excited to try this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Michele — January 24, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Now that’s darling. <3

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons — January 25, 2013 at 1:13 am

This is so pretty…love it!

Melissa from the Blue House — January 25, 2013 at 4:27 am

CUTE!!!!

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more — January 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

very cute!

Ko — January 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Simply adorable! And oh so easy! Love it!

Julie C — January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Glory, you are just SO creative!

Nancy Paine — January 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Glory,
    This is super cute, easy, and so chic! I made a couple banners this year, and one is for next Christmas, so I am sure it’s DONE when it gets so busy in December! I hope to list some in my shop soon. Happy Valentine’s Day!

ButterYum — January 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm

so, so cute! What a great idea, and so inexpensive too.

Lizy B — January 25, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Glory that’s darling!!! I even have all those supplies! I’m going to make that this weekend and call it my ‘glorious valentine’s day banner’!!

p.s….I got that big girl camera for christmas….now what the heck do I do with it!!!

Bellenza Bistro — January 26, 2013 at 7:24 am

Would actually be charming all year round! Thanks for sharing Kristine’s tutorial. :-)

Cecilia — January 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm

This is so sweet and easy to make! Thanks for the idea! Maybe I’ll make a few for the girls teachers for Valentine’s day…. Love you!

• Glory replied: — January 28th, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

I thought you might like this =) I’m sure the girls teachers would love one! Other than letting the no-fray stuff dry for a few hours, they come together pretty quickly and I think they’re super cute!

Whisked Away Cookies — January 29, 2013 at 12:41 am

I love this look! You are so clever!

Heather @ French Press — January 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I was just looking for a garland idea – this is SO dang cute!

1. Pingback: 15 Ideas // Día del Amor | Ceja Güera…

2. Pingback: Handbox | Craft Lovers » Punto de encuentro y comunidad amantes del mundo DIY » DIY Guirnalda para San Valentín

3. Pingback: Handbox | Craft Lovers » Punto de encuentro y comunidad amantes del mundo DIY » …

4. Pingback: 22 Amazing DIY Valentine’s Day Decorations | Style Motivation

5. Pingback: DIY Projects: Decorating with Burlap | For Women

6. Pingback: Easy Ways to Decorate for Valentines Day

7. Pingback: Burlap Banner Mixes Rustic and Whimsy | Small Talk Mama

8. Pingback: Herzen im Kinderzimmer. | babamilie

9. Pingback: 10 ways to celebrate: a valentines roundup | the pixel boutique

10. Pingback: 20 Valentine's Day Treats - The Bearfoot Baker

11. Pingback: Гирлянда ко Дню святого Валентина

12. Pingback: 96 Valentine DIY projects, printables and baking | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire

13. Pingback: 6 Lovely DIY Valentine’s Day Garlands