{How-to} Make Giant Lollipop Decorations

Since my daughter’s candy party (back in March) I’ve had lots of questions about the giant lollipops I made as decorations for the front walkway.  The idea is not my own, I found many similar lollipops on several different sites as I was gathering ideas for my daughter’s party.  This was one of the many crafts I prepared weeks in advance.  They are not hard to make, and can be used to add color and whimsy indoors or out.

Here are the supplies you need-

Styrofoam circles

(I found them at Michael’s and Wal-Mart) The one surprising thing about this craft is that the styrofoam is actually quite expensive!  The larger circles were close to $5.00 each.

Wooden dowels

(available at most craft stores and Wal-Mart for about $0.50 each)

White spray paint

Colored tissue paper

Cellophane

(I used iridescent cellophane- from Michael’s)

Ribbon

~ Directions ~

Step 1-  Spray paint the wooden dowels white.  Allow them to dry, then cut the dowels to desired lengths.

Step 2- Wrap styrofoam circles with colored tissue paper.  Wrap them the best you can, but they don’t have to be perfect, because the cellophane will cover the imperfections pretty well.

Step 3-  Push a dowel into the wrapped styrofoam.  If you want, you can put a little glue on the dowel before you push it in (I didn’t glue mine).

Step 4-  Cut a piece of cellophane and wrap it over the styrofoam, gathering the ends around the dowel.

Step 5-  Tie a piece of ribbon around the gathered cellophane, then make a bow.

That’s it!  Adorable, calorie-free lollipops!

A fun way to welcome guests to a sweet party!

33 Responses to “{How-to} Make Giant Lollipop Decorations”

Bird — May 13, 2010 at 1:37 am

WOW! I adore these!!

Your parties rock and I am placing your blog on my blogroll!!

Would love to have you post any of your fab ideas to my monthly Link party – It's all about celebrations and handmade parties! :)

It's on every 1st Monday of every month. Hope to see you there? :)

Love,
    Bird

Amore Chocolateria - Mila — May 13, 2010 at 5:22 am

Very simple to do and very beautiful.

Katie — May 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Thank you so much for posting these instructions! I'm doing a "Sweet Shoppe" party for my daughter in August and these will be part of my decor! I'm having a GREAT time collecting items for the party!

I also look forward to your instructions on how you made the personalized water bottles!

DİDEM — May 23, 2010 at 6:13 am

hello

l love yor work so much :))
    all of them very very beatiful

l want to ask someting to you,
    where can l find your stamp letter

Glory — June 3, 2010 at 11:34 pm

DIDEM- The stamp I used on that cookie is a Martha Stewart brand alphabet set of acrylic stamps sold at Michaels. You can use any stamps (designed for paper).

Bridgette-Bee — June 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

When I was a kid, we made huge lollipop's for our singing group to hold as props when we danced out of two paper plates stapled/glued together. Then we put colored cellophane over. :)

Carolina Montoya — June 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

i recently had a candy themed party..and wow i wish you would have made this in february and i could have seen them and made them for my party lol!!
    but oh well ..they are still super pretty!!!

Anonymous — September 4, 2010 at 7:07 am

I found some inexpensive alternatives to buying the foam. Save any packing foam you get, or if you know of a company that deals in any type of foam ask for scraps. My father owns a business that has plenty of scrap foam laying around so we saved money there. Also I used a jig saw to cut my cirlces with, Great Job and very quick.

Anonymous — March 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I soo wish you'd youtubed how to make the lollipops I'm having a heck of a time wrapping the tissue paper around the styrofoam!

Christina Lucas — June 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm

OMG!!! I'm doing a candy land theme for my daughter's birthday next month and sooooooo needed a decorating idea like this! THANK YOU!!!

Trendy Tree - Pence Christmas Tree Farm — August 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Trendy Tree - Pence Christmas Tree Farm — August 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Well I should have said…I would like to share…..hope that you will grant permission))

Trendy Tree - Pence Christmas Tree Farm — August 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Great idea! Love the photos and instructions. Would love to share on my blog with your permission. Thanks again for the great ideas.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — August 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm

@Trendy Tree- You are welcome to share one photo and a link to this post, please do not re-post the instructions or my how-to photos. Thanks!

Hillary — August 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Too cute! I'm thinking of making these for my daughter's birthday. Do you know what size foam circles you used? 10inch? Thanks!! You are definitely a party planning inspiration! :)

leah — September 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

thanks for this cute idea! i plan to use this for my daughter's bday party this november. and i think this would look great as table centerpieces instead of balloons. thanks again!

Kristy — October 5, 2011 at 12:58 am

This is a cute theme! For a Candy Land themed outdoor Christmas decorations one year we made a lot of lollipops only we used two stryofoam paper plates and it was a lot cheaper. Glue two plates together facing each other, can be stuffed with newspapers for added strength, but not neccessary. Don't forget to glue dowl, may need to notch hole in plates before glueing if using large dowls.

The Lyons Den — October 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

I just googled Lollipop decorations and this came up, I want to do a lollipop them for my baby girls room, she is due in march… and this is PERFECT!! You are so crafty!!

Anonymous — January 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm

You might consider using two paper plates, glued, insides toward each other, in place of the Styrofoam; a lot cheeper.

Kimyonce' — March 2, 2012 at 10:49 am

Wow! I love these! very Creative!

Kimyonce' — March 2, 2012 at 10:51 am

Awesome

LaVaughn — July 16, 2012 at 3:23 am

Just wanted to let you know that these are SUPER cute!!!! (Like you didn’t already know that, right??!!) I did find the styrofoam cirlces at my local Dollar Tree-they come in a 2 pack-they are smaller though-not the large size, but more of a cereal bowl size-so they would be great for decor around the house in jars, etc. Love your ideas!!

Barbi — July 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Just wanted to add that you can get foam board at the Dollar Tree the size of posterboard for $1, and could get quite a few from 1 sheet of board.

Ashley — October 21, 2012 at 5:18 am

I LOVE these!!! OMG my girl’s sweets shoppe bday party is in 4 weeks and I am looking for unique decoration ideas! This will be perfect. I just have on question. How do they stand by themselves on the floor or table, if I used them indoors?

Z. Stone — December 19, 2012 at 7:44 am

You might be able to save money from buying styrofoam if you take either two plastic dishes or two cheap foil pie tins and staple them front to front, to give the illusion of puffiness.

Meghan — June 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm

It was starting to get dark and Jeff has been gone a long time.
    Once you decide what kind of Oregon coast camping vacation you are
    looking for, finding an Oregon coast camping site is a
    piece of cake. Even though most liquid fuel stoves are more powerful and provide great heat output than
    canister stoves, they are not as convenient.

Sheena — August 5, 2013 at 8:26 pm

s better to use whole foods made from scratch for good
    health. Avocados- Although not my favorite, are high in fats, the good ones.
    Then leave it a while until your tummy lets you know that you’re hungry again before opting for a healthy snack.

Unique Pastiche Events — October 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Hi there!

I just wanted to pop over and let you know that I’ve shared this post in an inspiration board for a Cute Candy Themed Birthday Party my blog.

Here is the direct link to the post if you want to check it out:

Thanks for sharing this post! I may have never found what I was looking for :)

Faith Conaway — January 9, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have seen these made with colored paper plates (you could even use two facing each other for depth) and it’s a cheaper option. Great post!

Shannon — March 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for the wonderful and simple instructions. My daughter has her birthday party next week and the theme is ” sweets”. This is EXACTELY the decorations I envisioned to put out sifted and welcome guests.
    Thanks!

Suzette — September 12, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thank you , your post helped so much!!! :)

1. Pingback: Back to School Part 2 | Designer Flower Center