Cranberry Pecan Shortbread Cookies
These buttery Cranberry Pecan Shortbread Cookies are a must make this holiday season! Super easy to make with just a handful of ingredients, they are a great make-ahead recipe for the holidays. Simply make the dough up to 3 days in advance of baking or bake and store in the freezer.
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- orange zest 1 orange
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries chopped
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until soft and creamy. Beat in powdered sugar and brown sugar and mix until creamy and combined.
Beat in vanilla extract and orange zest just until combined.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the chopped cranberries and pecans.
Place a 15 inch square piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap on a flat surface. Transfer half of the dough to the plastic wrap and roll into a log shape, about 1.5 inches in diameter and 7 to 8 inches long. Repeat with a new piece of plastic wrap and the remaining cookie dough. Refrigerate both logs for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
Remove one log from the fridge and unwrap. Cut into ¼ inch to ⅓ inch thick slices trying to keep the cookies the same thickness. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until very lightly golden around the edges.
Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before carefully transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool. They will be soft just after baking but will firm up within minutes. Let cookies cool completely before storing or decorating. See post for ideas and information.
- Room Temperature: Place cookies in an airtight container and keep them on the counter for up to 3 days.
- Refrigerator: Allow the cookies to cool completely and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Allow the cookies to cool completely and then place in an airtight freezer safe container. Place parchment paper between each layer of cookies for best results. Let defrost at room temperature. Cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 16mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 158IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg