Chocolate Raspberry Cake
This cake is perfect for Valentine’s Day and would also be beautiful for most any occasion!
- 2 cups sugar 400 grams
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 210 grams
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 64 grams
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa optional (11 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda 12 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 grams
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt 6 grams
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk 240 mL
- 1 cup strong black coffee 240 mL
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 120 mL
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 4 grams
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 4 oz cream cheese 1/2 package
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam preferably pure fruit, no additional sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- pink food coloring optional
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa(s), baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Frost as desired.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until fully combined and smooth.
Add 1 cup powdered sugar and blend. Add 1 Tablespoon of raspberry jam and blend.
Add vanilla and salt (only add salt if you’ve used unsalted butter)
Continue blending and add another cup of powdered sugar, and 1 Tablespoon of jam. Repeat with the last 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and remaining tablespoon of jam.
Beat until well blended, smooth and fluffy. Slowly add 1 Tablespoon milk or cream and blend another 20 seconds or so. If desired, add a drop of concentrated pink food coloring (or red liquid food color).
Spread the frosting onto the cake layers using an offset spatula, or pipe the frosting onto the cake layers using a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
- If you have a strong aversion to cream cheese, feel free to replace with an additional 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- This is enough frosting to generously frost the cake as shown (between the layers only).
Calories: 678kcal | Carbohydrates: 109g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 86g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg