Carmel-by-the-Sea {Sweet Travels}

Hofsas House Hotel - Carmel, California

My family and I recently enjoyed a little getaway to Carmel-by-the-Sea, California.  Carmel-by-the-Sea (also simply called Carmel) is a beautiful little town on the central coast of California, near Monterey.  Although we live in California and I’ve visited Monterey a few times, I’d never been to Carmel.  We were invited by the Hofsas House Hotel to come enjoy this quaint town and it was such a relaxing getaway!

Working from home (as I do) has many advantages, but it also makes it very difficult to ever truly get away from work.  Sometimes it’s good for me to really get out of the house for a few days!  And there is just something extra special about being near the ocean… it has such a way setting things back into perspective.

While in Carmel, we stayed at the Hofsas House Hotel, a family owned inn with a European flair.  My girls were pretty thrilled to discover we had a two bedroom, two bath suite with a balcony and fireplace!  It was so nice to have some separate spaces for everyone… and especially great that I could sleep in and the rest of the family could watch TV in the other room!

Wine and Cheese - Carmel, California

We kicked off the weekend in style by enjoying the wine, cheese and crackers that were waiting for us in the room.

The girls had a great time exploring the suite…

Hofsas House Hotel - Carmel, California

The ocean view from our balcony was a special surprise!

View of Pacific Ocean - Carmel, California

The view was beautiful during the day, but extra spectacular at sunset!

Sunset in Carmel, California

The first full day of our stay we drove to Monterey (about a 20 minute drive) and spent the day at the incredible Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I had only been to the aquarium once before, and the rest of my family had never been, so it was a great family experience!  The Monterey Bay Aquarium is world famous for it’s incredible exhibits that include sea otters, octopus, hundreds of gorgeous varieties of fish (including HUGE tuna!), and one of its most famous exhibits is a huge and beautiful room that showcases jellyfish (that may sound creepy, but it’s really incredibly beautiful!).  The aquarium has exhibits and areas of interest for people of all ages, but I think they do an especially good job of creating fun places for young children.

My one bit of personal advice if you’re planning a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium is to make dining reservations ahead of time at Cindy’s Waterfront (their in-house restaurant).  There are two dinning options at the aquarium, a large café (cafeteria style) and Cindy’s Waterfront.  The café has lots of options (an upgrade from most large “parks”), but can be a bit loud and crowded for my preference.  The restaurant (Cindy’s Waterfront) is very reasonably priced for the incredibly well made food, and for me it was the perfect break in the middle of a busy day.

Monterey Bay Aquarium - Monterey, California

Jelly Fish Exibit, Monterey Bay Aquarium

The second day of our Carmel trip I tracked down the best bakeries in town (I’m sure you’re not surprised!).  I visited Pastries and Petals and Café Carmel, both walking distance from the Hofsas House Hotel.

Pastries and Petals Bakery - Camel, California

Patries and Petals (pictured above and below) is a small bakery and café a block or so off the “main drag”, but is beautiful and certainly worth a stop!  In addition to the beautiful selection of treats, I was especially taken by the gorgeous collection of cake stands and glass domes used to display many of the selections.  In addition to the bakery sweets (cupcakes, cookies and bars), they also have a small but delicious looking selection of breakfast and lunch sandwiches and salads, as well as a full espresso bar.

Pastries and Petals Bakery - Camel, California

Café Carmel (below) caught my eye with one of the most beautiful bakery window displays I’ve ever seen!  Doesn’t this look like the perfect fall dessert buffet?  Café Carmel also makes sandwiches and salads to order.  I’d suggest taking your order to go and heading down Ocean Street to spend the day on the beach!

Cafe Carmel Bakery Display - Camel, California

While in Carmel we enjoyed dinner at two of the local restaurants (both walking distance from the Hofsas House Hotel).

The first night we ate at Mundaka, a Spanish tapas restaurant.  Many of the menu items were new to me, and we ordered several different items to all share as a family.  Our favorites were the Mini Lamb Burgers,  Calabacin (Shredded zucchini, almonds and dry jack cheese) and the Crema Cantalana (butterscotch crème brulee).  The next night our youngest (Joy, 6) said “Can we eat dinner like we did last night?”  I asked her what meant and she said she liked sharing everything as a family and getting to try lots of things.  =)

The next night we headed to Flaherty Seafood Grill, a restaurant specializing in fresh, wild caught fish.  We were warmly greeted and enjoyed several delicious dishes until we were more than full!  I ordered an Artichoke and Salmon Pasta dish that I had to fight my girls for (we all loved it!).  Hubby tried the local specialty, Sand Dabs, as well as clam chowder (always one of his favorites!) and enjoyed them both.

Beach Sunset - Camel, California

A few more notes about Carmel-by-the-Sea…

Carmel is an extra dog friendly town, and the beach is “leash free”.  We saw a lot of happy dogs!

Carmel caterers to wine and art lovers, and has numerous wine tasting rooms and art galleries.

We enjoyed walking from the hotel to many of the shops and restaurants in town.  Carmel is designed to be a very “walkable” town, but may not be the best option for strollers or wheelchairs, as many of the sidewalks are quite uneven or narrow.

Carmel is a beautiful, quaint town that we found perfect for a relaxing, recharging weekend.  Simply follow Ocean Street to head to the beautiful, mile long, white sand beach.  We spent several hours just letting the girls play in the sand and water, and it was one of my favorite parts of the weekend!

Special thanks to the Hofsas House Hotel for hosting us, we can’t wait to visit again!

I’d love to hear from you… where are some of your favorite vacation spots?  Is there a hidden gem in your area?  Do you seek out the ocean, or is it the mountains or city you love?

24 Responses to “Carmel-by-the-Sea {Sweet Travels}”

Liv — January 20, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Hi! We will be in the area soon but unfortunately one of my daughters is allergic to all nuts – do you know of any nut-free bakeries in the San Francisco/Carmel/Napa area? Do you ever sell any treats? Thank you!!!!

• Glory replied: — January 20th, 2014 @ 9:42 pm

Hi Liv, I hope you enjoy your trip, there is so much to see in the area! I’m sorry, but I am not aware of any nut free bakeries in the area. I’m not sure if you have to have a bakery that does not use nuts in any of their products or if you just need to have some options that do not contain nuts… if it’s the second, then I might suggest calling the ones I’ve listed here (or others in the areas you’ll be visiting) and see if they have some options for you.

Sarah — January 21, 2014 at 12:27 am

It sounds like you had a fantastic getaway. I’ll have to make a visit to the area on my next trip to California and I’m bookmarking this post to help me plan when I do!

Christina — January 21, 2014 at 1:09 am

We love to visit Monterey too, one of our favorite places to go. Haven’t been there in a few years though.

Veronica — January 21, 2014 at 3:57 am

How fun! I went to college at Cal State Monterey Bay and Carmel is definitely a favorite (although not a constant place to find a broke college girl, lol) The white sand beach is perfection and I hope you tried the oyster shooters and fish and chips at A.W. Shucks. If you’re a sushi lover next time make your way to Crystal Fish in Monterey and maybe stay in the woodsy town of Pacific Grove. Also, Monterey Crepe company makes some amazing sweet and savory crepes! Just some ideas for your next trip… Loved seeing these pictures though, brought back so many memories! Hope you had a wonderful trip :)

• Glory replied: — January 22nd, 2014 @ 5:59 pm

Thanks Veronica, so glad you enjoyed the post! OOh, I’ve not heard of the Monterey Crepe Company, I’ll have to add that to my list for my next visit!

Lisa — January 21, 2014 at 5:09 am

Love Carmel and Monterey, haven’t been in a few years though. My sister got married in Carmel at the La Playa hotel, outside in their garden overlooking the ocean, very pretty! It is such a beautiful are, we are lucky to love so close to so many charming spots here in CA!!

Sherrill — January 21, 2014 at 6:41 am

I love Carmel! I have been thinking it’s about time I made time to go back for another visit! Looks like you had great weather! The first time I went it was gorgeous, clear, picture-perfect weather. Truly a magical visit! The last time it was all foggy, but that was also charming in it’s own way! Lent an air of quiet mystery to all that beauty! :) I am also longing to take another long drive up highway 1 above San Francisco. That is one of the most beautiful drives I’ve ever taken! I took the 1 all the way through Cal, Ore and Wash. Took the ferry over to Vancouver Island, Canada. BEST vacation ever! Just wish I would have had about 4 weeks more to do it! :)

• Glory replied: — January 22nd, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

Thanks for sharing your memories with me! Those trips sound lovely!

Lori Vreeke — January 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Love Carmel, go there a couple times a year. I’ll have to try some of the bakeries you went to. They seem to change so often unfortunately.

We have spent many a day staring at the jellyfish at the aquarium. They are so magical

Love your blog,
    Lori V.

• Glory replied: — January 22nd, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

Thanks Lori! Be sure to let me know if you discover some other “sweet” spots in Carmel area and I’ll add them to my list for another trip! =)

Pat — January 21, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Beautiful photos! I would LOVE to visit that area, The hotel and the bakeries sound divine. Being by the ocean is like “therapy” for me.

xo
    Pat

Tisa@SeattleRetro — January 21, 2014 at 6:55 pm

What Pinterest-worthy photos! So enjoyed hearing about your trip, the food, and seeing the beach /sunset. I’m from Pismo Beach but moved to Seattle nearly 25 years ago. Carmel was always a favorite get-away spot to ‘play tourist’ (& try to catch a glimpse of Clint Eastwood, who was mayor back in the day). Am wondering which goodie you ended up trying from the bakeries….!

• Glory replied: — January 22nd, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

Thanks, and feel free to Pin them! =) When my husband and I were first married (1997) we lived in Bremerton for a year and I was able to visit Seattle a few times then. It’s a beautiful place, but I’ve lived in California too long to handle all those grey days! The only “treat” I enjoyed at either bakery was a Mocha from Pastries & Petals, but there were sure lots of tempting things at both places! I was more in “work mode” and wanted to document my trip =)

Britney — January 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Carmel! I work for Hyatt Vacation Club and our property, Highlands Inn, is in Carmel. I want to go so bad because it’s one of the most popular places we have.

Paula — January 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Such a lovely post on a lovely little getaway for you and your family. Your room looked comfy and very cozy and you are right about the view. Fabulous! Thanks for sharing this little gem of place with us.

Marialuisa — January 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

WOW, I live in Spain and I´m dying to go to Monterey and Carmel…my husband plays golf and he´s been playing in Scotland already and would love to go to Pebble beach….I´ll keep on dreaming.
    Love your post and specially how much the girls enjoyed.
    Love from the north of Spain
    Marialuisa

susie sweetiepetitti — January 22, 2014 at 2:38 pm

We travel extensively for college volleyball, and this fall we were lucky enough (even though we lost) to end up in Rome, Georgia twice. It is far from the hustle of Atlanta, close to the CUmberland Plateau and the downtown is full of restaurants and charming shops. My favorite kind of town. No ocean though….and it was COLD in October!

Nancy@SeasonsOfJoy — January 22, 2014 at 3:41 pm

My hubby is a golfer, I got him a big treat for a big anniversary several years ago: a round of golf at Pebble Beach (and I asked a friend of his to come play with him). I had to book a room at the resort there, to get a tee time (another splurge), and when they found out it was our anniversary, they upgraded us to a suite! Oh, my gosh, amazing, with it’s own little private, enclosed patio with a spa sunk into a lovely little garden, a huge canopy bed in the room, fireplace, sitting area, and entire bathroom of beautiful slate, and champagne! Our kids were young and they loved it, too! My in-laws also lived there many years ago, when newly married and he was in the military, and the homes did not have number addresses- but names for the cottages were the address. They lived in “Bug’s Ear”, isn’t that so cute? Glory, glad you had a fabulous family time, memories, so sweet!

Nancy@SeasonsOfJoy — January 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Gosh, for favorite vacations, we love Colorado, Breckenridge was a memorable time (any time of year, we went in late May with kids, and skiied there as young marrieds years before). It is charming, and beautiful mountains. We loved Seattle, and Whidbey Island a couple years ago (also went there prior to kids). Cape Cod we have now been to twice, we stayed at the Chatham Bars Inn when kids were younger, and they had a kids program they had fun at a couple times, and we had adult fancy dinners out those two times. Lots of fun things to do on the Cape. All very different from our desert home in Phoenix! But we love it here, too!

Jessica N. — January 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Glory,
    I am so glad that you enjoyed Carmel! I was born and raised in the Monterey Bay Area so it is so good to see it get some exposure. If you are ever back in town you have to try il veccio! It is located right above the aquarium and they serve delicious Italian food. Another suggestion is Fish House, it’s a local favorite! Get the Sicillian holiday pasta, it’s full of fresh seafood and homemade pasta in a rich tomato broth. Next time you are here you should venture out to Big Sur! I have been following your blog for over year and have read all of your posts! Keep it up! This is my favorite blog by far because of its amazing photos, cleaness, and technique.

• Glory replied: — February 19th, 2014 @ 7:40 pm

Thanks so much for the sweet comment and great suggestions!

JulieD — January 24, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I love these photos…the one with your girls on the bed, I hope you print that and frame it!! Thanks for sharing this fun trip with us!

Cecilia — January 30, 2014 at 12:12 am

Those are some super cute pictures of your girls! They are so sweet! I’m glad you had a good time and got some much needed rest.
    Love you!