How to Make a Fabric Bunting

A couple weeks ago I hosted a Vintage Bunting Baby Shower for my younger sister.  The theme was brought together with a bunting design on the invitations, cookies, and a homemade fabric bunting hanging behind the food table and drink table.  I chose fabric colors and patterns I knew my sister would like, and I gave her the buntings after the shower to hang in the baby’s room.

If you have a sewing machine and even the most basic sewing skills, you can make a pretty bunting like this to dress up a party, a child’s bedroom, or playroom.

~ How to make a fabric bunting ~

Supplies-
Fabric (woven, 100% cotton, or cotton blend)
Cutting mat
Rotary cutter (or scissors)
Ruler, or straight edge
Cardstock template (mine was about 6.5 inches wide at the base, and 8.5 inches tall)
Fabric bias tape (shown below as step #9)

1.-2.  Fold the fabric in half, so you are cutting two layers at a time.  Place your cardstock template on top of the fabric, use a ruler or straight edge to guide your cutting, and cut fabric with a rotary cutter.  If you don’t have a cutting mat and rotary cutter, feel free to adjust the directions and use scissors to cut the fabric triangles.
3.  Lay your two triangle shapes right sides together (as shown).

4.  Sew along the two long sides of the triangle shapes (do not sew the short side).
5.  Trim any excess fabric near the tip of the triangle (as shown above), this will help give you a nice sharp point when you turn your fabric right side out.
6.  Turn your fabric right side out, and use a pointed tool (but not too sharp) to push into the very tip, corner of the fabric (I used a bone folder).

Continue sewing as many triangles as you need, then iron them nice and flat.  (You’ll notice the tips of the triangles are not sharp, and can be a little wonky… do the best you can, it’s a handmade item, it doesn’t need to look like a machine made it)

7.-8.  When your triangle shapes have been ironed, trim off any excess threads, and the tiny points of fabric sticking up.
9.  To attach all of your triangle shapes together you’ll need a package of “Extra Wide Double Fold” bias tape (this is sold near ribbon or thread in the fabric department).  Make sure it is “Double Fold”.

Line up your triangles in the pattern you want.

Time to assemble!
1. Start by sewing along 12″-15″ of bias tape, sewing closed the fold of the bias tape.
2.  Once you have a “tail” of bias tape your desired length, add your first triangle by opening the bias tape fold,  and slipping in the top of the triangle (as shown above).
3.  Continue sewing along the bias tape, now sewing the first triangle inside.
4.  Continue this process, adding triangles until you have reached your desired bunting length.  When you’ve attached all of the triangles, sew a “tail” of bias tape at the end of the bunting (just as you did at the beginning).  Note- most bias tape comes in a length of 3 yards, so if you don’t want to have an extra seam along the top of your bunting, plan that your bunting will be less than 9′.

Vintage Bunting Baby Shower

You’re done! Hang up your pretty fabric bunting (I love Command adhesive hooks) and enjoy!

~ An important note about Glorious Treats ~

Glorious Treats will be undergoing a makeover this week.  Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to share a new look, some great new features, and as always, continue sharing lots of pretty and delicious things!  It’s likely that very soon you will type in my current .blogspot address only to be redirected to GloriousTreats.com.  If by chance things don’t go perfectly smooth… don’t freak out if you arrive to my site you can’t find it!  I’m here, we’re working on it… and by the end of the week all of the kinks should be worked out.  Also, if you are currently following this site using Google friend connect (the box on my right sidebar that says Followers), you will no longer be able to find my site through this means.  Please make a note to check in on me later this week, or follow me on Facebook.  Once GloriousTreats.com is launched, there will be lots of easy ways to keep tabs on me.  See you soon!

65 Responses to “How to Make a Fabric Bunting”

Mary — June 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Queda preciosa la guirnalda, muchas gracias por la idea!!!

La cocina de Camilni — June 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Y encimas coses también…madre mía estás hecha una artista.
    Muy buena idea

cookies and cups — June 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I am so going to do this..but I am going to have to have my husband do the sewing :)

Mrs Hudson — June 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

An artist … I love everything you do, you have been beautiful the fabric bunting!!

Joy Adams — June 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I am really looking forward to the introduction of your upcoming dot com address. Cannot wait for the new format. COngrats.

tinajo — June 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I do love buntings, made one for my patio this year and it looks so pretty! :-)

Jannie — June 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Okay – I'm lovin this whole theme! I gotta throw a baby shower for my Daughter in August. I am all thumbs with this kinda stuff. Thx for the tutorials and the ideas!

Kris — June 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thank you for always generously sharing your creativity with us! I look forward to your new blog launch! Kris

little miss olive — June 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

thank you so much for this tutorial! as my little one's first birthday is looming closer and closer, i really wanted to make one…and now i have no excuse!

(i love your blog, btw)

lizy b — June 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Love the bunting!!! Good luck with your move, I'm sure it will all go smoothly!!! I'm a GFC follower, but I've also got you on facebook! Are you on bloglovin' as well?

Cindy~Cookie Cheers — June 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

How cute Glory!
    I've already made your bunting cookies for a friend. She loved them!
    I so appreciate you sharing your creativity.
    I sit down to a blank cookie and my mind is as blank as the naked cookie looking back at me!
    Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} — June 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for sharing, this is fabulous! My twins are turning 2 in a little over a month so I am planning their party and this will be perfect over the buffet!

mireia badia — June 12, 2012 at 1:21 am

You always share great stuff, thanks so much!

miss b — June 12, 2012 at 2:08 am

Thanks for the tutorial. I love the bunting in various shades of blue – so fresh and pretty.

Francy in cucina — June 12, 2012 at 3:44 am

Hi darling! I love your blog! What's about follow each other? I'll wait for you on my pages: http://www.francescainthekitchen.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful day!!

Sue {munchkin munchies} — June 13, 2012 at 12:18 am

Yur bunting is so cute! I want to make a smaller/shorter version for my front door:)

Cecilia — June 13, 2012 at 3:12 am

I love the new look! Super cute and more like your style! Great change!
    Love you!

• Glory replied: — June 13th, 2012 @ 3:30 am

Thanks Cecilia! I was thinking you might like this bunting too, I know you could make a super cute one!

Roselyn Paulino — June 13, 2012 at 11:19 am

Beatiful and sweet to personalize any party.

Mi Vida en un Dulce — June 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Congratulations for your new look, I find it very beautiful, like it very much…!!!

Country Mermaid — July 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm

**YAY!! Thank you so so much!! I have been dying to make one of these!! My first on will be out of various Hawaiian print materials!! Love you and your website/blog/FB page!! <3 <3 <3 <3 . I am definitely sharing you with my friends!! Respectfully, Kat XOXOXOXO

Country Mermaid — July 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

**Do you have a good tutorial for making letters to spell something out on the bunting flags?? ((-; Thank you!! I just now ‘shared’ this with my 400+ Face Book friends!! It was so easy to share it. Thank you lil’ darlin’ . <3 <3

Samantha — August 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thank You so much for this tutorial. I have been wondering how to do this and can’t wait to try it out! I would not have known where to begin…thanks for making it so easy!

Maree — September 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hiya,
    followed you instructions, they were easy to follow and I’m so happy with the results!

Jennifer — January 6, 2013 at 1:35 am

Thank you for this awesome tutorial! I’ve made two different buntings using this method. Super easy, and the finished product is impressive.

Wilma — February 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Good day I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Bing
    for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like
    to say thank you for a incredible post and a all round
    exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read a lot more, Please do keep up the great
    b.

Stinky — May 6, 2013 at 4:46 am

Thank you! I have made two lots of bunting now, and have used your instructions here – thanks for posting this

Shawn — August 6, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial, it looks very simple. I’ve been wanting to make one of these for my babies nursery, looking forward to using your steps!
    hugs!

Chrissy Gay — August 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thank you for sharing as this is just what I needed. Simple instructions so easy to follow. Will certainly look at you fore coming details in the future.

Becky — November 11, 2013 at 5:54 am

Found you via google. What a perfect tutorial! Thank you so much! Just what I needed. :)

Phoebe — January 27, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Hi,

I used your tutorial to make my first bunting. It turned out really well! Check out my blog to see the results.

P x

• Glory replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

Hi Phoebe,
      So glad you found my post helpful! Yours looks perfect! Thanks for the link =)
      Happy Crafting!

Nicola — February 19, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Thankyou! Wonderful instructions – just what I needed, especially how to get the points of the flags crisp.

Kathleen — March 6, 2014 at 1:15 am

Your instructions are great! I’m at the point where I am trying to sew the bias tape to the flags but my machine keeps pushing it through the hole under the needle. Any tips for this??
    Thanks!

• Glory replied: — March 6th, 2014 @ 4:56 pm

Kathleen, My first thought is that you need a new needle. Sounds like the needle is punching through the fabric, more than piercing through it. Best of luck!

Zola — April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Thanks so much for these instructions! really well laid out and simple to follow!

Sarah — May 22, 2014 at 5:36 am

Thank you so much! Your tutorial was awesome. Easiest one online to follow. I am a novice when it comes to sewing, and tonight I just completed a bunting for my expecting cousin in 2 hours and the results are fabulous!! I surprised myself. :-)

Nicole — November 1, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thank you so much for your post. I used this to help me make my first bunting with teal, dark grey, soft grey/blue, chevron teal & white, chevron silver & white with a dark grey trim at the top. It’s turned out magnificently I’m so happy with the result!!

1. Pingback: Birthday Bunting! | quiltedmornings

2. Pingback: Making bunting makes me happy « Like the World.

3. Pingback: The nursery is finished! » Gail Werner Photography

4. Pingback: Fat Quarter Friday: Fabric Bunting

5. Pingback: Festivities | reddoorponderings

6. Pingback: 30 Beach Themed Wedding Projects & DIY Inspiration | Confetti Daydreams

7. Pingback: Fat Quarter Friday: Fabric Bunting | Awaiting Ada

8. Pingback: Ahoy, It’s a Boy! | KiKiMac

9. Pingback: Online tutorials: How to make bunting | So Many Crafts, So Little Time!

10. Pingback: CraftyShizzle | Beyond the Parentheses

11. Pingback: Bunting/Banner in Blue | Garden Seeds and Honey Bees

12. Pingback: Hello + Loving Day | Clover and Pine

13. Pingback: I <3 Loving Day | Clover and Pine

14. Pingback: (Twee warning) home made bunting! | lizzylikescake

15. Pingback: Top 10 gifts to sew for children | Behind the Hedgerow

16. Pingback: bunting | amaryllis log

17. Pingback: Handmade Wedding Details: The Roundup | Sarah Kate Creations

18. Pingback: Top 5 Beginners Sewing Projects | Cut, Paste, Create

19. Pingback: This Moment ~ Needle ‘n’ thREAD | Moments of Peace

20. Pingback: It began with Laura Ashley |

21. Pingback: Online tutorials: How to make bunting | So Many Crafts, So Little Time!

22. Pingback: Things I want to make | zenithphuong on stuff

23. Pingback: Sewing: From One Beginner to the Next – Part Two, Projects | Happy Pantry

24. Pingback: Baby M’s Nursery: The Dr. Seuss Quilt | Life, Army Wife Style