Grace’s Cake Decorating Party

I have an extra fun post to share today, my daughter Grace’s 8th birthday party!  Two years ago, I put together a fun Candy Birthday Party for her… it was one of my first blog posts, and will always be a special party to me.  We do “big” parties for our girls every other year (celebrating the “off” year with just one or two friends).  Grace is a girl after my own heart, and chose a “Cake Decorating Party” as this year’s theme.

I prepared a small dessert and snack table for the girls to enjoy.  Chocolate cupcakes in cute polka-dot treat cups (from Shop Sweet Lulu) were frosted with vanilla cream cheese frosting (using a large round tip) and dressed with simple sugarpaste flowers (from Sweet Baking Supply).

I also filled yellow treat cups with fresh fruit, and blue treat cups (both from Shop Sweet Lulu) with chex mix.  A pretty little jar was filled with cute cupcake shaped marshmallows I found at Wal-Mart in the Easter candy section.  A large jar was filled with containers of rainbow heart sprinkles (from Sweet Baking Supply) which each guest took home as a favor.

I baked and (plainly) frosted mini cakes for each guest to decorate as they please.  I baked the cakes in small (4″) pans (from Sweet Baking Supply) and frosted them in either pink or purple vanilla buttercream.  I prepared several piping bags of icing, with assorted tips, for the girls to use to decorate their cakes.  I also supplied them with an assortment of candies, sprinkles and decorations to add to their masterpieces.

The girls decorated their cakes in shifts… while some were decorating cakes, the other girls were in the kitchen making mini pizzas with my husband.  The pizza’s, along with the fresh fruit cups, chex mix and juice completed the simple, yet well received menu.

It was so fun to watch the girls work on their cakes…

I loved seeing all the finished cakes!  Each one was so different, and showed a peek of their personalities as well  =)

Along with a bottle of sprinkles (shown on the dessert/snack table), and the mini cakes themselves, each girl took home an apron that I made as a special favor.  I made each one a bit different, using different color trimmings.  I’ve posted the full tutorial for these Easy Sew Kid Aprons (here).

All set-up, styling and photos by (me) Glory Albin (Glorious Treats)

Additionally, I’ve include links within this post that will direct you to the recipes, techniques or supplies I’ve used.

93 Responses to “Grace’s Cake Decorating Party”

My name is Rita — April 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

what a fun party! my daughter would love this idea. Will have to keep it in mind for her next birthday.

Beki — April 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Love it! I do parties like these for kids and sometimes adults, too… and they are always SO fun and I'm amazed by how pretty the kids' creations can be.

melanie savoca — April 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm

How adorable!! I'll have to remember this when my daughter gets older :) I also used those cupcake marshmallows from Wal-Mart to decorate my daughter's April birthday party. They are so cute!

~ko — April 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Probably the sweetest most well thought through party I've seen! Oh to have a little girl!!! Thanks for all the links, you saved yourself a ton of Q&A; time :) It was so fun to see all the finished cakes, that wild one in the top left corner is a riot, she and I would have been good friends in elementary school ;)

Sue — April 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh my GOODNESS! This is my kind of party! I love the sprinkles as favors, and the aprons! The cakes turned out so cute! What a mom! :)

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista — April 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Adorable! I'm knee-deep in planning for my son's construction truck 3rd birthday next month, but then it's only 3 shot months til my daughter's 5th birthday! i adore the idea. Did I already say that? I'm pinning it now.

Oh, and I want you to know that your recipes are the absolute best for cakes, cupcakes, frosting. They are my go-to-no-fail recipes.

Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

Nisha — April 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I'm so excited after reading this post as if I was one of those girls decorating the cake and getting an apron too!
    This is such a wonderful idea. And so much fun too! You plan very interesting parties for your kids! :)

SugarNosh — April 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Oh my goodness! I am having a bake shoppe themed party in one week for my six yr. old. They are decorating cupcakes, cookies (I will base ice them w/royal icing and they will finish with food color markers) and drawing on marshmallows. I wish I had seen those cupcake marshmallows! All creations will be packaged by them to take home. Oh & we made aprons too, although I'm not sure they are as nice as yours ;)

Piggy Bank Parties — April 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Such a sweet and simple party that the girls will remember forever! LoVe.

Jaclyn's Cookies — April 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

What an awesome party idea! You are amazing. I can't believe you made those adorable aprons and I'm so jealous of all of your beautiful cake stands and jars!

amalia — April 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Glory…you are the best Mama!!! What a wonderful idea for a sweet party. My oldest will be celebrating her 8th birthday next week too! I bet the girls had a fabulous time…love all the decorating and the aprons….what a sweet and adorable favor! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures….your daughter is precious!!!!

JulieD — April 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Wow, so cute!! I love it all. Such a clever idea & all of the touches look so awesome!!

tinajo — April 16, 2012 at 2:08 am

They must have had SO much fun, I know I would! :-)

Amanda — April 16, 2012 at 3:27 am

Love the idea!!!! So much fun.

Elizabeth — April 16, 2012 at 4:50 am

This is so adorable!

cookies and cups — April 16, 2012 at 5:05 am

SO cute! I love their little aprons!

Olivia — April 16, 2012 at 6:21 am

This looks like so much fun! Reminds me of the birthday parties my parents used to throw me. :) Those aprons are adorable, too!

Yael — April 16, 2012 at 7:09 am

How adorable! I want a birthday party like that for myself!

Sherri D. — April 16, 2012 at 7:10 am

Wow…what a lucky girl! What an adorable idea. Any thoughts on having one for us big ladies? LOL!

TidyMom — April 16, 2012 at 7:16 am

Such a cute idea Glory! I bet they loved it!

Stephanie — April 16, 2012 at 7:20 am

AAAAmazing!!!

CookieD-oh — April 16, 2012 at 7:48 am

How fun! I'll keep this in mind for when my girl gets a little older! :-)

Karyl — April 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

This is the cutest thing ever!

Pam Ponder — April 16, 2012 at 7:51 am

cute party.. love love that cake!!!

Rebekah — April 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I have four daughters (6,4,2,and 6 months) – I'm sure at least one of them would love a party like this at some point. What great ideas! You pulled it off perfectly.

sophie — April 16, 2012 at 8:04 am

Genial !

Caroline — April 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

That looks like so much fun – I'm 33 next week and I'd like a party like this! I love the pink and purple colours together too.

Tesei — April 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

What a great idea! It's amazing how lovely those little cakes are, congratulations to the birthday girl, the mommy and all the girls!

thelittleloaf — April 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

What a gorgeous idea for a party – makes me want to have kids of my own!!

inma — April 16, 2012 at 9:20 am

Que maravilla!! preciosas las tartas y sus creadoras. Apuntan a que serán unas expertas en estas artes. Bss!!

BertiesBakery — April 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

What a cute idea!! I'm sure the girls loved this!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — April 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

oh how cute is that!

VeronicaL — April 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

Wonderful party theme! My daughter would love this! She turns 8 this year too. The aprons are a pretty and useful party favor. So much better than the party bags full of plastic toys that inevitably end up in the trash bin. Love your ideas!

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — April 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh Glory this is beoyond words adorable!! LOVE

mom FITting it all in — April 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

what a great idea.

SoapArt — April 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

Looks like a great time!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty & The Hazel Bloom — April 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

What an adorable idea. I bet the kids had so much fun and everything turned out sooo cute!

Hanna — April 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I absolutely adore this idea, and also the girls all look soo happy! I guess that's a sign of a job well done!

Holly Moeller — April 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

So fun, I love it!! I love the crepe paper backdrop (if that's what it is!) so simple, but what a great impact! I seriously want some of your cake plates too!

mireia badia — April 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You always leave me speachless. AMAZING JOB!!

Liz @ Arty McGoo — April 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

What a cutie! This is such a great idea and I adore the aprons. How did you get so dang awesome? Those cupcakes are to die for perfect!

Rose @ Rose Bakes — April 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Amazing and beautiful!! I love it!!

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — April 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Completely adorable! The "decorate your own cake" is something i love! Wonderful ideas! :)

Georganne (LilaLoa) — April 16, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Oh my goodness — I love ALL of it! I am especially obsessed with that colored streamer background!! I've spent all morning trying to devise a reason to make one in my own house. What a fun, gorgeous party!!

Georganne (LilaLoa) — April 16, 2012 at 11:06 pm

AleyPili_bakeandfun.com — April 17, 2012 at 1:30 am

Very good idea!

Alice — April 17, 2012 at 7:11 am

what a fun party! i want you to host my next birthday :)

Deb — April 17, 2012 at 7:14 am

OH please share the apron tutoril!!! My daughter's 11th birthday is in June and this post will be my inspiration. I'm dying from the cuteness!

Festive Party Girl - Angie — April 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

This is such an adorable party. I bet the girls just loved decorating their own cake and making their own pizza. I love how you used the cupcake cups for the snacks too.

naila — April 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

Hi Grace , Lovely idea and am sure the girls had a wonderful time. The table is so colorful yet so soft n peaceful. I liked the cups the cupcakes r in. Do u bake in them? Whats the material coz i cant c it stained with the oil/butter of the cupie?

DO all cupcake liners become oily? infact iv ur cupcake pictures n the liners loook brand new. But even thouhg i use wilton , they still absorb and show the oily effect. plz guide me. itl be very helpful for me. Thanx.

Naila

So Domesticated — April 17, 2012 at 11:35 am

What a fun and adorable party!

Darla | Bakingdom — April 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

This is one of the cutest ideas ever! And all the girsl made really adorable cakes! You're such a fun mom! … Wanna throw my birthday party next year? :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — April 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

So adorable! I have wanted to do something similar…need to get my act together for next year!!

Anonymous — April 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm

How fabulous! Where did you get all of your beautiful cake/ cupcake stands?

Katrina W. — April 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Brilliant!! I love it, and my daughter would too.

My Daisy scout troop has been asking about a cake-decorating event – this would be perfect.

Soria Pastry Addict — April 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Such a good idea !

Soria Pastry Addict — April 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Such a good idea !

Soria Pastry Addict — April 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm

such a good idea

Anna C — April 18, 2012 at 5:29 am

So adorable! As always :)

Tram Luu — April 18, 2012 at 6:49 am

I can't tell you how excited I was to see your pics of this party. In particular, the shot of the girls decorating their cakes and the dessert table is in view on the side. Why does that interest me? Because I always wondered where in the world in a regular home does someone have room for a rectangle table and a giant blank wall just ready for a dessert table set up!?! I have no such wall in my house. Well, there is one wall that might work but it's in the foyer! How would that work for party flow, right? Anyway, I love the dessert tabe set ups but I wish party designers would show where in the home they put the elaborate dessert table.

inma — April 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm

!QUE PASTELES MAS ORIGINALES !Y QUE DIVERTIDO LO PASARON TODAS , QUIEN FUERA NIÑA OTRA VEZ……

Colleen — April 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I've been following your blog for several months and it's become a favorite, I think because everything you do is so ME as well! I've never left a comment before, but when I saw your table with four chairs and a bench that is exactly like the one in my kitchen, I just couldn't resist! I especially enjoy your beautiful photography, sweet and simple (well "simpler" anyway!) parties and great decorating/packaging ideas. Also, I use your recipe for chocolate cupcakes all the time. Thank you so much!!

the decorated cookie — April 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm

LOVE this! What mini geniuses.

Ema — April 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

You are such a great Mom! Your attention to detail is astounding. Yay for you and your girls!

Janienne Jennrich — April 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

This is one of the sweetest, most wholesome, most adorable-ist parties I have even seen for little girls. Bravo, you fabulous mom.

– Janienne Jennrich, Topic Editor for Kids and Teen Parties at Suite101.com

Anonymous — April 20, 2012 at 12:19 am

Hi Glory, You did it again. Another Amazing Birthday party. Thank you for sharing it with us. Looking forward to the apron tutorial. By the way, where did you get the yellow and the blue cupcake stand??
    AL in Calif

MyCakeSchool.com — April 20, 2012 at 6:33 am

Love this post, Glory! Your daughter & her friends look so sweet–and I LOVE the set-up and aprons!! My daughter and her friends decorated her b-day cake for her last birthday–so funny & fun. I'm going to have to step up my game next year though to match this CUTENESS!! lol ;0)

Cristin (Pinkie) — April 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I'm late in reading my favorite blogs, but this was just incredible! You are the best mom ever! What a beautiful party and I LOVE the homemade aprons. As soon as I saw the first picture with the apron, I thought to myself, ooh I wonder where she got that cute apron and then saw more of them and read that you made them for each of Grace's friends! Incredible! I bet Grace loved her party and had so much fun making cakes with her friends. Everything looked beautiful and fun! Excellent job Glory and thanks for sharing!

Lissa (Bellenza) — April 21, 2012 at 4:34 am

This is one of the most adorable little girl parties I've seen! So beautifully planned to be hands-on and FUN. I would've loved to be a guest myself!

Camille @ Makoodle — April 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Love this idea. My daughter is turning 8 this year and I think this would be a fun activity we could do for her party. Thanks for sharing.

Jana — April 23, 2012 at 9:24 pm

A cake decorating party is such a neat idea!! Everything looked beautiful. We do the every-other-year big party too. I wonder if I can point my kiddos in the direction of this theme for next time…

MamaLadyBug — April 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Everyone is raving because this was the best party idea!!! I love the aprons and cake decorating and thoughtful mom and dad! Just the best!

London Flower Net — April 25, 2012 at 1:49 am

Wow !! very nice blog and very intersting. thank you for sharing us.

Flower delivery London

Lisa Smiley — April 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Lucky girl! so awesome!!!

Kat Stacy — May 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

It may seem simple, but where did you get the adorable 8 candle? My daughter turns 2 in a couple weeks and I've been looking for something different (not the typical polka dot number candles that you find in grocery stores). I saw this glittery pink 8 and fell in love!!

belleplusmel — May 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm

wow this is totally what i want to do for both my daughters. thanks for the idea!!!

guadalupe — July 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm

hello ,i was looking at the party that you did for your beautyfull daughter and i just love the idea ,i am just wondering how much do you charge for a party lke this .the reason i am asking is because i have a friend that wants me to do a kid party but i not a professional ,i made my friend a cake and her friend loved it so much that they want me to do a kid party but like i said i am just starting and dont knowexactly how much to charge for all .can you please help me if you can thank you i look fowared from hearing from you.

• Glory replied: — July 18th, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

I don’t do my parties for money… just for family and close friends. Figure out all of your supplies, and how long it will take you to plan and set up the party, then decide how much you want to be paid per hour of your work.

baizura abu bakar — August 29, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love your idea and creations. You are very creative mom! The kids must have fun with the cake they decorate by themselves. Amazing job!

Vyvilyn — December 26, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I love this concept! Definitely a nice spin from the traditional birthday party favors!

Brandi — January 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I found your post last summer about the candy party and used a lot of our ideas for my daughter’s 6th birthday – it was so much fun! Now I find your post on the cake decorating party and know that this will be the idea for her 7th birthday! You do such an awesome job!

Mirtha Zeferino — February 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Son fabulosos…. Cada detalle es increíble….

Kristine — April 19, 2013 at 5:04 am

What a great party theme for little girls. With all the cooking shows these days, going to a party to create their very own cake would be something to look forward to. Excellent party favor choices.

cristina — July 1, 2013 at 1:39 am

Love the set-up. Wondering where you buy your fancy plates and cake stand? I love it all especially the yellow plate.

• Glory replied: — July 1st, 2013 @ 4:32 am

Thanks Cristina, I’m sorry I don’t remember where the yellow plate is from, I’ve had it quite a while. I buy a lot of my plates and props from Home Goods, World Market, Pier One and Target.

sarah — October 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Hi! I’m planning a cake decorating party for my daughter next week and was wondering where you purchased those mini flower decorations for the cake? Thank you so much in advance, this is one of the cutest parties ever!

• Glory replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

Hi Sarah, Most of the pre-made icing flowers were purchased at Hobby Lobby (in the cake decorating area). Happy shopping!

Sarah — October 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Thank you for answering my question so promptly!

lea — November 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I followed your idea and organized a cake decorating party for my daughter’s 10th birthday. It was wonderful. I made my buttercream frosting too stiff and it was a little difficult for the girls to squeeze the frosting out of the bags. So I would recommend making the frosting soft. Also it is quite time consuming to bake all those little cakes as I only had 2 6-inche cake pans.

1. Pingback: Glorious Treats » The Best of 2012