Road trip to Cookie Camp!

I’m a stay-at-home mom.  I live in the suburbs.  I homeschool.   My life isn’t exactly what you would call exciting…
But last week I enjoyed a special trip that took me from my home in northern California all the way to the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee.  Along the way I spent time in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Tennessee, each for the first time.  I crossed the Mississippi River for the first time (not counting fly overs).  I walked down music row in Nashville, Tennessee, and also visited the gorgeous Gaylord Opryland Hotel.  While in the Appalachian mountains, I saw a wild black bear.  I spent the week with old friends from all over the country… who I technically had never met before!  Oh, and I got to bake cupcakes and decorate cookies!!
I think that will be enough excitement to last me a while!  =)
Ok, let’s start back at the beginning…
Long before I had a blog, I posted my work on Flickr.  Through Flickr I have met many lovely, and talented ladies from around the world.  Many who I now consider true friends.  Last year I met my good friend Sharnel, in person for the first time (I posted all about our fun week in San Francisco, here).
This year, a group of Flickr friends all passionate about cookie decorating, planned a weekend of chatting, relaxing, and cookie decorating in the hills of Tennessee.  This fun weekend was made possible by one of the ladies in our group of friends who has an in at a beautiful campground in the Appalachian mountains.  So a small group of ladies flew in from around the country, and we gathered at Cookie Camp!  And if that doesn’t sound like enough fun… two of my good friends and I added to the weekend with a road trip!  Maryann, Callye, and I began our trip in Oklahoma City, where we packed up the car and headed east!  We drove and chatted, and drove and chatted some more, and a day and a half later arrived at our destination in Tennessee.
A toast to our trip (the evening before we headed east).   L to R- Callye (Sweet Sugar Belle), Maryann, and me (Glorious Treats)!
Along the way, we stopped for lunch with Kristan (Confessions of a Cookbook Queen).  I first met Kristan earlier this year at a bloggers workshop at Wilton (read all about it here).  It’s so amazing how the internet can bring people together from around the world!  And just in case there is any doubt… yes, Kristan is just as cute, sweet and sparkly as her blog
Continuing east, we crossed the Mississippi river and drove on through Memphis, Tennessee.
And what kind of road trip would it be without a few unplanned stops?  As we were driving through Nashville (each for the first time) we knew we just had to stop!  A quick drive around town, walk down music row and a horse drawn carriage ride gave a mini tour of “Music City.”
We arrive at camp… no cell service, no internet, just lots of beautiful peace and quiet!
The first afternoon of camp included a sighting of the camp mascot Zuzu, a baby black bear.
Each “camper” brought a decorated flower cookie as a gift to thank our host!  So many different colors and styles, and yet I think they all look really beautiful together!
(left) Me (right) Marlyn
We spent the weekend “playing” with sugar!  Lots of cookie decorating, learning from the styles and techniques of our friends, and sampling a few cookies along the way!  I made up a batch of my Chocolate Cupcakes as a special treat, and they all disappeared quite quickly  =)
It was so amazing to be face to face with long time friends, and some of my “cookie idols”.
Here is a little sampling of our weekend “play time”
(Top row)  Cookies by Jennifer, Laura, me, Cindy, Marlyn, Maryann
(Bottom row)  Cookies by Bea (sea collection) and Johnna (queen)
And what’s camp without a bonfire and some s’mores?
(L to R) Me and my beautiful and talented friend, Marlyn
By the end of the week we were all exhausted, but also so happy!!  It was so special get away from the regular routine of life,  spend time with friends and enjoy doing something we all love… decorating cookies!
  Several generous companies sent along some beautiful goodies for us to enjoy at camp.
A huge thank you to our camp sponsors!
Photo thanks to Sugar Rush Treats for allowing me to use several of her gorgeous photos of camp!

48 Responses to “Road trip to Cookie Camp!”

once in a blue moon — October 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

that looks so much fun, and the cookies are divine. you all look adorable and happy~

cookies and cups — October 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

What a FUN FUN time!! Those cookies are all gorgeous! I am so glad you had a great trip :)

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — October 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I am beyond jealous! SO so fun! I'm happy you all had a grat time!

inbliss01 — October 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

amazing is all I can say!!! I love all of the amazing and beautiful cookies I see!! you are all very talented!!:)

the decorated cookie — October 9, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I'm so bummed I missed it, I've been soaking up these stories!! Love the inside glimpses. Thanks so much for sharing!

Montrealconfections — October 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm

What a nice post Glory, I hope we get to decorate & visit together again soon.

Hugs, Marlyn

Joy Adams — October 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of fun.

Bea @ CancunCOOKIES — October 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Loved meeting you in person, Glory! Thanks for the cuppies and your great demos! It's been such a treat being able to share time with you… you are as beautiful as your blog!!!

Naomi — October 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Wow…what amazing place Tenn is…love all the trees. Thought Colorado was beautiful! The cookies are amazing! Would love to have a batch of the "hostes" Thank you's! All of you have great and amazing talent. You are truly blessed!

Kara — October 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Looks so fun! And i love your pictures! Zuzu the baby bear is too cute! Cookie Camp sounds like an amazing camp!!
    I really enjoy you blog :D
    Kara :)

SweetSugarBelle — October 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I'm so glad that we were able to all get together. It doesn't often happen that there is someone willing and able to host a crowd. Fun fun times!

Susan - Andover Cookie Mama — October 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Great post Glory! We did have a lot of fun, didn't we? I'll be trying your chocolate cupcake recipe this week. Those were the BEST cupcakes I've ever had. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sue — October 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

What a FUN time in a beautiful setting! Gorgeous cookies too! Thanks for sharing, Glory:)

Laura — October 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That looked like a lot of fun! I visited Nashville in March this year and absolutely loved it!

Hjortebjerg — October 10, 2011 at 12:32 am

Breathtaking view at the camp!

Lisa.lou — October 10, 2011 at 3:39 am

Thanks Glory for your sweet blog post! It was so much fun to gather for the first time! I know we all have known each other for years but to get to chit chat by the fire and bake and decorate as a group of friends was one of the most AMAZING times of my life!! I can't wait to see you all again:) Who knows maybe ZuZu will bring friends next time:D

Rocio Valle Gonzalez — October 10, 2011 at 5:03 am

HI!! I wrote you from spain… (sorry for my english, i saw your coockies, and… all I can say is WOW!!
    I would love to have a time like this in my coutry… (so boring people in here)
    I become a "fan" of you, and I hope to learn a lot seeing your blog!
    Hugs, Rocio. ;-)

Myri — October 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

When you have the luck to find a true frienship, marvelous things happens, congrats on your post very well done! :)

Myri — October 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tori — October 10, 2011 at 9:26 am

I am a first time commenter and looks like you had a great time! It looks like a place called Hidden Hollow on Lookout Mountain that my MIL's brother owns! TN is beautiful this time of year!

The Partiologist — October 10, 2011 at 9:31 am

What a wonderful post – thanks for sharing!!!

Marianne — October 10, 2011 at 9:39 am

What fun! Such a talented group of cookie divas!

VictoriasCreativeCrafts — October 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

OH MY GOODNESS, THE COOKIES ARE TO PRETTY TO EAT. WISHED I COULD VISIT COOKIE CAMP!!

Ariana — October 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

HEY! I've been a reader of your blog for a few months, never commented, though – until THIS post! I live in TN!

Check out my blog if you'd like :)

Amanda — October 10, 2011 at 11:19 am

So much fun! I'm from the Nashville area so seeing those familiar pictures on your blog is exciting! And a cookie camp?! Could there be anything more awesome?!!

Laura S. — October 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

What great fun! And right up the road from me it seems. Too bad the Opry Mills isn't open right now… closed until April from the flooding.
    All that talent in one place!

Cristin (Pinkie) — October 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That is what I imagine heaven to be like – great friends, GORGEOUS scenery, and making cookies and learning more! What a wonderful opportunity you had to sneak away from your regular joyous life to find more glory! I LOVED reading about your adventure and seeing the photos of all my cookie heroes! I'm so incredibly happy for you and the other gals. I read each of these write-ups with a huge smile on my face, so excited to hear about it! Thanks so much for sharing Glory!

Cecilia — October 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm

This trip looks amazing! I'm sorry I didn't call you yet! My mom and sister showed up on Saturday and are still here. SO…I will try to call you this weekend! I'm glad you had a great trip!

amalia — October 10, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Loved hearing about cookie camp!! Looks like so much fun…..What fun it must have been to have soooo many creative people all together!!!! Thanks so much for sharing and for sharing all of your talents with us on your blog! I look forward to each and every post!

Sadaf Afshan — October 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Everything looks so lovely……the camp, the cookies,the ladies !

Alison — October 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

great post Glory!

Miss E — October 11, 2011 at 3:41 am

Wow, am I jealous or am I too jealous??!! Looks like so much fun, and the cookies, just wow, you ladies are so talented!
    Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Dobby — October 11, 2011 at 6:04 am

Great idea – love the cookies. Can you provide a link to everyone's blog (if they have one) so we can follow them and check out their blogs. Thanks

Annette — October 11, 2011 at 7:08 am

This is a wonderful site. I noticed it first on pinterest and have picked up lots of cupcake tips. In fact, I am teaching a cupcake class to a group of ladies, and your beautiful pictures and demo on frosting cupcakes, and the tips to use, is perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Jean — October 11, 2011 at 9:23 am

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our part of the country. In fact you passed very close to my home if you were on I40 going to Nashville. Aren't the Smokies beautiful? I see you used to be a floral designer too.
    Now I know how those bows on the jars look so good!

Jane — October 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm

what a wonderful thing to do, you look like you had an amazing time and the cookies look WONDERFUL!! You've inspired me to do a road trip with some girlfriends, good food for the soul….

Pear Tree Greetings — October 12, 2011 at 8:52 am

What a fun trip! All those cookies are amazing! How cool to get so much talent together in one place! -Steph

Liz @ Arty McGoo — October 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

I think my head just exploded seeing all that talent together in one place! That setting looks amazing, those cookies look amazing, and knowing there is such thing as "Cookie Camp" where all the cookie greats gather together to bask in each other's pure awesomeness is like finding out that Santa is real… seriously.

Willow's Quiet Corner — October 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Oh my gosh! ! ! What a wonderful trip! A COOKIE CAMP! ! ! Heaven! You ladies created some serious cookie love! *sigh* :)

Crafting Rebellion — October 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

I would never want to eat those cookies they are so beautiful!

Warning Sugary Goodness — October 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm

What a great adventure. Everything looks so amazing. Being with creative friends-Priceless!

Mighty Morgan — October 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

OMG…that looks like soooooo much fun! Super jealous, you all must have been swapping all you amazing cookie secrets!!!! Lucky girls!

Victoria — October 17, 2011 at 8:19 am

You are all so talented! And patient!

vsahm(at)juno(dot)com

Sharon — October 23, 2011 at 4:25 am

OmGosh glory,,,you were only an hour from britton when u were in Memphis,,,she's in Oxford, ms at ole miss,,,she would have died to have gotten to give you a hug!, Catching up on your gorgeous blog and love that black and white Halloween,,,can't wait to see pics of the whole foods dinner!!!

Alexis and Levi — October 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm

looks like a really fun time!!!!!!!!!

Heather — October 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Eek!! I live in Nashville!! I never comment but love to look at your blog! I'm a huge cookie decorator myself! What a fun weekend it sounds like you had! Love all the cute designs!

Petra — November 1, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Tus galletas son geniales!!!
    Un beso

Sherry — June 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi,
    I would love to go to Cookie Camp. If you have it again and you are accepting new cookie decorators….I would LOVE to go! Thanks so much, Sherry