{Sweet Travels} Wilton Blogger’s Workshop

The words “Business trip” and “Cake” rarely go together, but when you’re a food blogger, fun things like that can happen!  I was recently invited by the Wilton company to attend the Wilton Blogger’s Workshop, held outside Chicago, Illinois.  I gladly took the opportunity to meet up with many talented bloggers, and learn more about the Wilton company.  Since I frequently visit the cake decorating section of my local craft stores, I’m quite familiar with many of Wilton’s great products.  Their huge selection of products can be purchased everywhere from Wal-mart to Michael’s, and the full line of products is available on their site, Wilton.com.

The day of the workshop, our group of 25 bloggers traveled (from our hotel) to the Wilton Headquarters (Woodridge, Illinois).  We started the day with a decorating workshop, where we brushed up on decorating basics and piping skills, and enjoyed demos of some of Wilton’s newest products.

We were greeted with a goodie bag full of all the decorating supplies we’d need for the day.

Later in the day we were split into groups (of three) and participated in a good natured cake decorating contest.  We were given a cake (a fake cake) already iced, and had one hour to decorate it as desired (using a variety of Wilton supplies provided).

(Above) Here I am (in blue) working hard with Liz of Hoosier Homemade.

(Below)  Rachel, of Cooking with my Kid (on left), and Shelly of Cookies and Cups (right) working on their cake, which later won the title “Most Creative”

(Above) Jessie of Cake Spy with her group’s cake.

(Below)  My group’s finished cake (decorated by Liz of Hoosier Homemade, Carrie of Fields of Cake, and myself).  Our cake won the title ”Best Overall Technique”.

Part of our day included a great peek behind the scenes at Wilton, including tours of the test kitchen, the decorating room, photo studio, prop room and decorating school.

Have you ever seen an office lined with cakes on every surface?  =)

A peek inside the photo prop room… It’s scary to realize I almost have as many cake stands as they do!

We rounded out the day with a trip to Wilton’s annual tent sale.  The tent sale is open to the public, and if you love cake or cookie decorating and live within a few hours of Woodridge, Illinois I would highly recommend finding your way to the tent sale, which is held every June.

Need a cake pan… or 10?

How about a cookie cutter… or 20?

I may have found a few things at the sale to stuff in my suitcase…

The day ended with a delicious dinner at Gordan Biersch, where I enjoyed a bit more time with some of the lovely ladies in attendance.

(Left to Right) Kristan of Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, Shelly of Cookies and Cups, Karly of Buns in my Oven, and me (Glory- Glorious Treats).

(photo thanks to Karly)

And a little shoutout to a couple lovely ladies I enjoyed visiting with, but didn’t get a photo of…

Amy of She Wears Many Hats and Stacie of Cupcakes Take the Cake.

And thank you to Wilton for including me in this fun and enriching trip!

29 Responses to “{Sweet Travels} Wilton Blogger’s Workshop”

Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. — June 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Looks like such a fun workshop! Love WILTON and all their cake supplies! I feel like I must own at least 80% of everything they sell! I am addicted to buying their products!

Heather — June 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm

THAT looks like a lot of fun! Especially if Wilton made all of the icing,filled the piping bags, and cleaned up the mess!

Did you go with the group you decorated with? Or does Wilton group people together?

Tammy — June 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I love the Wilton tent sale. I go every year. I haven't made it yet this year, but I still have some days left. I'm glad to hear it was so much fun.

SweetSugarBelle — June 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Guess what I figured out how to do, four deleted comments and a bit of hairpulling later…

Okay aside from the fact that I am SOOOOOOOO bummed I didnt get to come and y'all are having WAY too much fun with out me, HOW FUN!

And the tent sale looks like heaven. HEAVEN. Maybe they will have another next year I hope…Wonder if Bernie would let me fly in for a tent sale if not, LOL!

SweetSugarBelle — June 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

HOLY MOLY it worked!

lizy b — June 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm

That looks like a perfect dream vacation for me! I could spend hours at the tent sale!

Joy Adams — June 14, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Sounds like lots of fun. Thanks for sharing the fun pictures

Mima — June 15, 2011 at 2:12 am

Lucky you. Looks like a lot of fun :O) Hope you have a great time

Haniela — June 15, 2011 at 4:13 am

What an amazing opportunity, looks like you had a wonderful time.
    Would love to see that Wilton tent..that must have been huge!!
    Like the goodies you got!.
    Fun Fun Fun.
    have a great week.

HoosierHomemade — June 15, 2011 at 5:27 am

I had a blast visiting with you and all the other bloggers! Hope to see you again soon!
    ~Liz

atablespoonofliz — June 15, 2011 at 7:39 am

awww It looks like you all had so much fun! And all of your cakes look so beautiful. I would have died at that tent sale I think, I love wilton products!

Middleton Family — June 15, 2011 at 8:00 am

I'm glad you got that opportunity. Maybe I should start a blog just to get sent away for a day with no kids. BTW – your hair looked great!

Trish - Sweetology101 — June 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

oh my how fun is that! Great memories. Wilton has some great things…thanks for sharing.

cookies and cups — June 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

love that last picture of us!! so cute :)
    great recap!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — June 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

I'm a Wilton Instructor and an amateur blogger – this is like the Holy Grail of Trips!! I'm so glad you got to go and experience this – PS – your cakes looked GREAT!
    ~Megan

Sue — June 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh, I am so envious:) What a fun time with blogging buddies! Your cake looked SO pretty!

Cristin (Pinkie) — June 15, 2011 at 11:41 am

Gosh it looks like you all had such an incredibly fun time! I'm hugely jealous of that tent sale especially and being able to meet a few of the baking friends we chat with online. How exciting is that! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay — June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Can I just say that I am super jealous of your trip to Wilton? You all made some beautiful cakes!

Glory — June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That looks like fun. I love how everyone brought their cameras. =)

Cecilia — June 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Wow!This looks amazing! I'm so glad you got to go to this! How exciting! Love you!

pearse franklin — June 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm

wow.great place to be, How are the prices, Are they really marked down.cheaper than the stores. by how much. oh those baking pans
    pearse@netamumail.com

Sharnel — June 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us Glory. It looks like you had alot of fun. x

Maria - Greece — June 16, 2011 at 9:13 am

Interesting seminario!

Minnie Kitchen — June 16, 2011 at 11:03 am

Looks like so much fun! Love ur blog!

Julie — June 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

It was great to meet you! Love all of the pictures you got and your cake looked awesome! :)

Dana @TheSundaySweet — June 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Thank you for sharing! This looked like it was such a great time! Your finished decorated cake looked beautiful!

Stacie Joy — June 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Your recap was adorable (kinda like you!). Thanks for the shout out too.

Bea @ CancunCookies — June 22, 2011 at 8:48 am

Glory!!!! You are the luckiest girl in town! Looks like my dream trip :)

Hilda — August 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

Oh my God !!! I would be happy there with you, it´s a pitty Spain & USA are too far away.
    I´ve just meet your fantastic blog, congratulations. It´s rally amazing.
    Thank your very much for teach us all of theese marvellous things.
    I´ll promise take more english classes to understand all your blog.

Kisses from Spain-Europe.