{Sweet Parties} A Gingerbread Party

Yesterday my two girls and I enjoyed a day that included…

Six little girls in holiday dresses, a beautiful home, a warm fireplace, Christmas music, and the smell of gingerbread in the air.

We were guests at a sweet birthday party for a little friend of ours who just turned 5.  Last year, I helped plan a special Snowflake Ballerina Party for the birthday girl.  This year, the birthday girl’s mommy wanted to lean a bit toward the simple side.  And although this year’s party required only a little planning and preparation, it was a beautiful party with some festive details that created a special day for the birthday girl and her guests.

The dining table was decked out with a gingerbread house kit for each guest (the houses were from Costco and come pre-assembled!!), a beautiful cake, and some decorated gingerbread cookies (by me) hanging from the chandelier above.

Above- A close up of the cookies I made as decorations to hand above the table.

Below- The beautiful cake made by Sweet Cakes by Karla and Sarah.

Guests enjoyed a few light snacks including sherbet punch, fresh vegetables, cheese and crackers and cookies (made by me).

The guests all sat around the warm fire and listed to the host read a special holiday book, Gingerbread Friends (by Jan Brett).  It’s a beautifully illustrated book and a sweet story.

Then the little girls all got to decorate their very own gingerbread house!  Some of the mommies (and the birthday girl’s daddy) helped a bit.  Below is my youngest (Joy) decorating her house at about the average decorating level of any three year old!  =)

Below is my oldest (Grace, age 6) decorating her house with the utmost care.  I expect Grace to pass me up in decorating skills in the next couple years!  She is very artistic… I have no idea where she gets it!  =)

It was a beautiful party to kick off the Holiday Season!

A Gingerbread theme party can be a perfect way to celebrate a December birthday, or just for fun!  I usually host a Gingerbread decorating party every year, but I knew I would get to “cheat” this year and just count this as our Gingerbread house decorating day!

*The gingerbread cookie photo above is actually from the party I hosted last year  =)

24 Responses to “{Sweet Parties} A Gingerbread Party”

Rach — December 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm

SOOO Adorable! What a great theme. Love all the details. Looks delicious too!

Sharnel — December 3, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Adorable!!! Love it!!

Sharon — December 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Such a great write up and shots Glory, thanks for posting about us, so sweet. And for all your help!! Love the plug for Sarah too!

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) — December 3, 2010 at 3:02 pm

what a pretty party!

Haniela — December 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Such a wonderful way to make memories. Love that you had fire going, it adds to the magical mood.

amastercreation — December 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm

what a wonderful set up! happy holidays!!

Holly — December 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm

What a sweet party!! Love that idea for a birthday around this time of year:)

Stephanie — December 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm

What a wonderful party, cute kids, and great decorations!

Camp Snoopy — December 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm

LOVE it all!!! Makes me want to plan one for next year!!

Ravenous Rowie — December 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm

What a wonderful party! I bet they had so much fun! Those pre-made houses are great!

Lisa Smiley — December 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm

So beautiful! What a great idea.

HeroCakePops — December 3, 2010 at 8:22 pm

What lucky little girls to have such great Mommy's to plan such a gathering.

daisy daydreams — December 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm

The party looks wonderful. I do insist on moving into your friends house. Please tell her I am available at short notice, would have to bring my two kids and 1 rabbit, oh and travel across the ocean as we are in the UK.
    Loving your cookies too….x

Lisa — December 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

What a fun and unique idea for a party. That's quite a spread and it looks like a lot of effort was put into it, but I'm sure those girls were over the moon. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog (open to everyone) for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Sue — December 4, 2010 at 9:59 pm

LOVE all the gingerbread cookies and the party! My birthday is on the 12th and I think I'm going to make my own gingerbread "SOMETHING"! :)

di_licious — December 5, 2010 at 1:39 am

What a wonderful party theme! My daughter's birthfay is december 19 – I'm definately filing this idea away for a future party! Thanks!

Pink Party Girl — December 5, 2010 at 4:30 am

How funny that I ran across this post on THE VERY DAY of our annual 'Gingerbread War!'
    (You can see recent post about it here: http://pinkpartygurl.blogspot.com)

Such cute girls and darling decor! Would love to re-post this for my readers, as a followup, on my blog…Care to share?

Cheers!

Brittany — December 7, 2010 at 11:58 am

I just love this party idea! So Christmassy!! Love it. I'm actually going to feature it on my blog next week. Thank you so much for sharing! little-inspirations.blogspot.com.

Glory/ Glorious Treats — December 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Pink Party Girl & Brittany-
    I'd love you to share the party on your blogs. I'd appreciate if don't use every single photo, and be sure to clearly link back to this post.
    Thanks!

balloons — December 8, 2010 at 2:57 am

I liked this blog very much it gives me inspiration to do something more. This is a blog which is full of great knowledge and it is really a good work to share our knowledge with others. Great Job…

Michelle — December 8, 2010 at 11:43 am

I liked Rollin in Dough AND Glorious Treats, yall are so talented and i love reading seeing what you do!
    Also, can't find my last one (im new to this kind of stuff!!) but, i like the Little Sweet Pea cookies, they are precious!

Save the Date for Cupcakes — December 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

My girls' would love a party like this! Such a sweet & cozy party♥

Genevieve Le Bel — December 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

What an AMAZING party!!!! Sharing it on fb now cuz WOW, the world MUST know how incredibly talented you are!
    ;-)

Anonymous — December 16, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Love gingerbread houses! Love these pictures.