{Recipe} Snickerdoodles

I usually try to post recipes or ideas on this blog that have at least some shred of creativity, or originality… and I’m not sure that this recipe fulfils that in any way!  But sometimes you just can’t argue with delicious!  So, although this may be a recipe that exists in every cookbook, and on every baking site, here it is anyway.

Think of this as simply a reminder of how delicious cinnamon, sugar and butter can be!

Snickerdoodles

1 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

For rolling-

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

~ Directions ~

1.)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).

2.)  Cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Beat until fluffy (30 seconds).

3.)  Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

4.)  Mix the 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.

5.)  Using a large cookie dough scoop, make balls of dough, and then roll each ball into the bowl of cinnamon/sugar.

6.)  Place dough 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

7.)  Bake 8-10 minutes, or until set but not too hard.  Remove from baking sheets and cool on a cooling rack.

Recipe source-  Slightly adapted version of a widely available old-fashioned recipe.

Happy Baking!

26 Responses to “{Recipe} Snickerdoodles”

MrsKT — September 15, 2010 at 11:50 pm

These look delicious Glory, I might have to give this recipe a try :)

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet — September 16, 2010 at 2:56 am

You can't go wrong with butter sugar and cinnamon. When I was breastfeeding I couldn't have chocolate and these were my favorite cookie treat.

ReL — September 16, 2010 at 6:53 am

I've stumbled upon your blog in my search for fun recipes and party ideas :-) I LOVE IT! And these cookies may not be creative but they are by far one of my favorites to bake!

mom2angels — September 16, 2010 at 7:01 am

Those cookies look delicious!!! Love how you photograph all your stuff! Very nice :)

Love Being a Nonny — September 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

This is my favorite recipe for cookies. And SNICKERDOODLES are my favorite cookies!

beansnana — September 16, 2010 at 9:01 am

Your site is delightful, so many creative ideas. I am pleased to follow you. You are right "Snickerdoodles" are always a delight.

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) — September 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Baking creations don't always have to be over the top and inventive…simple is sometimes the most delicious just like these recipes!

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty — September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Yum! I always love a snickerdoodle!

Cecilia — September 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

It's so funny that you posted this recipe for snickerdoodles because I've been wanting to make some this week! I'll try out your recipe!

thelittlebeanboutique — September 17, 2010 at 4:23 am

Hi Glory! These are my favorite cookies! you can never go wrong with a snickerdoodle…next time I make these.. I will try your recipe… Thanks!

Samantha — September 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm

My All-time favorite cookie!!

katieskitchen — September 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Snickerdoddles are original here in Australia!

Cecilia — September 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Ok, so I made these today and they are delicious! Thanks for the recipe! The one I used before made you put the dough in the fridge for an hour and I didn't like the obvious taste of baking soda in them. This was perfect! Love you!

Marcy — September 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Cant wait to make these for the boyfriend.. his favorite cookie :-)

Christine — December 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I made these for my husband tonight and they were a huge success. Thank you for your posts!

Valerie — August 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This may be an old post, but I just finished up making this very recipe. They came out amazing! Can't wait to pass them out to friends and family :) parents loved them.

midnight hysteria — September 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

so totally my very fave cookie; this is the same recipe i use, too …. however .. i add a tsp or so of cinnamon to the dough — soo cinnamonie …. cinnamon from penzeys (the best!) … thanks for reminding me i need to make some for the hubbs … darlene

Anonymous — October 3, 2011 at 6:45 am

I made these yesterday after searching for a better recipe than the dozens we've tried out. No cream of tartar taste just a delicious, soft, not-to-sweet cookie. We loved them (including my husband who said he didn't like snickerdoodles) and we're making them again next week!

Megan — November 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Does anyone know about how many cookies this yields? I need to make them for my daughter's class and I am unsure if I need to double the recipe.

Thanks!

katie9430 — November 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I just finished with the dough and they are too sticky to roll into balls. I followed the recipe exactly so I am not sure what happened. Any ideas??

Jodi — August 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

This snickerdoodle recipe looks like the one I have been searching for— real butter and the right amount of cinnamon. I’ll use the Vietnamese cinnamon (because I’m addicted to it) when I bake these tomorrow. Thanks for the great recipe- I’ll let you know how it turns out! -Jodi

May — October 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hi Glory,
    I love, love, LOVE your blog. Your recipes are delicious and reliable, in fact, I’m always getting compliments on the cookies, cupcakes, and bars from your site. You truly are an amazing woman. Thanks again for everything!

Btw, I can’t wait to try these cookies! My french class has been waiting for something sweet! :)

-may

May — October 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Just tried these and they are delicous! WOW.

Jess — December 14, 2012 at 5:29 am

I just made these as part of my “christmas cookie baking extravaganza” and of all the recipes I have made thus far these are my fave! It’s hard to go wrong with butter, cinnamon and sugar. I’ve already got requests for two more batches

jacqui taylor — May 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm

i have just found this recipe and will be trying it for my daughter as she loves cinnamon.will let you know how they turn out. x

Pam — October 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm

My husband loves cinnamon and sugar so they are definitely my next cookie to try. Your recipes never disappoint and always get rave reviews. I know it’s very basic and traditional, but I would still would love a good bakery style chewy peanut butter cookie recipe if you ever get a chance. :)