Princess Cupcakes with Ruffled Frosting

A couple months ago when I made some fun ribbon cupcake toppers (seen HERE and HERE), my brain started spinning with all the pretty ribbon toppers I could make for most any occasion.  I looked through my ribbon collection and found a pretty pink ribbon with the word “princess” on it.  The word was the perfect length to make a ribbon topper.  Don’t you just love when things work out?  I thought if I was going to make princess cupcakes, it would be the perfect opportunity to try out a new frosting technique.

I have a couple of gorgeous friends in Australia who co-own a custom dessert business, The Cupcake Company.  These lovely friends,  Sharnel (who many of you know from My life- My loves) and Keren, have perfected a beautiful ruffle technique for frosting cupcakes.  I’ve marveled at the beautiful shape for some time, and after some tips from Sharnel, I gave it a try.

I was quite happy with the results, and I’m sure I’ll be using this style again.

If you’d like to give it a try, you need a Wilton 2D tip (a large, closed star tip), a piping bag, and some yummy frosting (HERE is one of my favorites).

Simply hold the frosting bag straight above the cupcake, and give a good squeeze.  You can practice onto a plate and then just put the frosting back into the piping bag when you’re ready to it try on your cupcakes.  You can also experiment with a tiny bit of side to side (horizontal) movement of the tip, to get a nice even “S” shape up the sides of the pile of frosting.

I added the princess ribbon toppers along with some lavender ribbon toppers.  I made the lavender ribbon toppers with a plain lavender ribbon, and then added a few self-stick scrapbooking jewels.

A bit more instruction on the ribbon cupcake toppers is  HERE, although they’re pretty self explanatory… cut some ribbon and glue it to a stick  =)

Pink ruffled frosting with pink and lavender ribbon flags… a combination fit for any princess.

19 Responses to “Princess Cupcakes with Ruffled Frosting”

Amy and Family — June 14, 2010 at 2:02 am

So simple – so cute!

Amore Chocolateria - Mila — June 14, 2010 at 4:13 am

Cute and beautiful! :)

Whimsy Cookie Co. — June 14, 2010 at 5:24 am

These are adorable!! I love the ruffled frosting and your toppers are precious!

Samantha — June 14, 2010 at 5:55 am

Very pretty!!

Maranda — June 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Awww! These are so cute! I will have to make some for my little princess! Thanks for sharing!

Leah's Little Bowtique — June 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

So cute and simple!

Yael — June 14, 2010 at 8:55 pm

So elegant! Definitely going to give that a try. Thanks!

mom of 5 daughters — June 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Yea! I think I can do this! It very simply adds a lot! Thanks!

Anonymous — June 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I saw Kylie Lamberts photos of these, so I think you should thank her since Sharnel was told by her how to do those.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/440794016_31911840af_m.jpg

Girlfrog — June 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I'm so glad you showed us how to make these! I never know what tip to us and now I do! Thank you.

Beth — June 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm

You made Craft Gossip! Congrats!

kotomi — June 22, 2010 at 11:21 am

i LOVE the ribbon cupcake topper idea! and you are also INSANELY organized.

Sharnel — June 25, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Actually Anon, it was my business partner Keren that showed me the ruffle. Not Kylie Lambert.
    I hope we all don't have to give Kylie credit for every cupcake we make. Because she wasn't the first to make cupcakes.

Keren — June 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Thanks Glory for this lovely little credit.

Anon – yes it was me that showed Sharnel this method. I'm not sure if I 'invented' it but I have been doing it for quite a few years now and to be honest I actually created it by accident. So I don't think we need to thank Kylie for it.

Glory — June 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks girls for all the sweet comments!

Anonmous- Kyle does do incredible work, and I have been inspired over the years greatly by her. I am always careful to give credit where it is due, to the best of my ability. I don't recall ever seeing Kyle post photos of this style, infact, when you wrote this comment I looked back through her flickr work to see if I was mistaken. I only found maybe one example of this technique.

I know that I first saw this technique done by Keren and Sharnel, and they have posted dozens of photos over a several year period using this technique.

I appreciate very much what Kyle has done for the world of cupcakes, but I believe that I credited the correct source in this case.

Jenn — December 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Love your blog! Came here via foodgawker. Just read up on your cookie tutorial and some cupcake tutorial. Your work is gorgeous. I'm definitely coming back as I want to try decorating cookies.

Laura — January 10, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi, do you have a receipe for vanilla cupcakes or is it the same like the perfect chocolate one just without cocoa?
    best regards from Germany

Mighty Morgan — August 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm

So simple, yet so pretty! I love it!

Heather dabbling — May 10, 2012 at 6:18 am

Cute! This might not be what you were shooting for, but a little tweak and these could work as brains for a Halloween party. I have boys so I'm shopping more for spiders and bugs and… brains… than princess ruffles. I also accidentally made ruffles years ago, which was great when my sisters were young, but never though of making them brains until this particular color… genius! (also a way to use all that pink food coloring -ha!)